Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Help! Someone is stealing my product

backhoe48
Trust:

Help! Someone is stealing my product

I have a site on which I sell ebooks for which I hold sole selling rights. (They are written by a friend)
In checking Google for my site status/position I now find that sites at www.torrentdownloads.net and www.heroturko.org is giving them away as free downloads as torrents through rapidshare etc.

These books are under international copyright. Does anyone know how to stop this? Surely it must be illegal?
PremiumMember
newstart
Trust:
I believe you have a problem that may be expensive to remedy. Hopefully you have an attorney available to your company.

The attorney should contact all offending parties informing them of the copyright infringement using his professional letterhead. The two offending websites should be contacted and informed of the copyright and told to cease. Rapidshare should also be notified. In rare cases legal action may be necessary.

Most companies will do whatever to avoid expensive and time consuming lawsuits. Do not overly delay your actions. The court may decide your delay has given permission to the offending parties.
gilesy
Trust:
If i were you id upload 100 more ebooks into rapidshare and fill them with viruses... people wont download them then.

If a simple letter gets them to take the content down I'll eat my socks, warner brother, EMI etc etc etc all have big budget films and music worth 100's of millions that are free to download... do you not think they've sent letter?
faradina
Trust:
Shades of The Pirate Bay. The website's operators got a judgment last year from a court in Sweden for being accessory to crime against copyright law. But the site is still up and running and certainly going strong.

Intellectual property rights are indeed very hard to protect.
myonlinetraininghub
Trust:
i wouldn't go as far as gilesy suggests, spreading viruses isn't a good thing

but i have heard of others combatting this problem by uploading lots of fake files pretending to be your product. ppl will download the fake and be royally upset

of course there is the train of thought that this kind of thing is going to happen and you are better off just not stressing yourself about it. its the world we live in. the vast majority of ppl won't know how to find and install a torrent client, and then go and find the torrents to download

your energy is better spent promoting your site

Phil
Phil
Free Microsoft Office Online Training
http://www.MyOnlineTrainingHub.com

faradina
Trust:
Maybe someone could come up with a system that can be used with ebooks where only the buyer can unlock it using a code and the code gets checked periodically via a server. I am thinking of something similar to what they have with security software where the server detects which computer has a valid license.
submp3s
Trust:
There are such systems Fara, and also eBooks which essentially you need to be connected to the internet to access, and they require a login each time. So this way you could keep control over which logins are getting used and disable them if required... this also helps to keep the content fresh, keep the ebook up to date, and make sure everyone has the latest copy..

However, this whole problem is frustrating, I know only too well, but imo it is not something you should spend time worrying about. Do what you can to protect your products, but if Hollywood movies get on there and they can't stop it then you have little chance either :) On the other side, on a more positive note - people looking for torrents are not people you want to sell to anyway. They are not buyers, and you don't even want them on your list - they are looking for a freebie, they are not a buyer.
bobdobbs
Trust:
If those sites are hosted in the USA, or owned by a USA citizen, then you might have recourse.

A law called the DMCA gives IP owners enforceble rights that hosting companies take very seriously.

First - find out if those sites actually are offering your books:
There is a trick that a lot of sites use to get traffic. They look at their search results to see what resources are being searced for. Then they generate pages with text strings reflecting the searches, without actually offering the content.
careybaird
Trust:
If it’s under international copyright, you can file charges against it. That is illegal and that is a total stealing. You are there working hard to make sales but then someone creep and steal your ebook. Hell that man! He is surely lazy who couldn't find his own product.
www.FreshStoreBuilder.com
The Most Advanced Amazon Associate Tool
Make $$$$ from Amazon with SEO Friendly Stores - only $97 - 30 day Money back guarantee

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Both Torrent Downloads and Heroturko's DMCA page says that you could send the infringement notice to freshwap@hotmail.com:

Torrent Downloads

http://www.torrentdownloads.net/copyrights

COPYRIGHT POLICY

Torrent Downloads provides only meta files (small .torrent files) on its web site, and hosts no actual file for download!!! We are not supportive of copyrighted materials here at Torrent Downloads and only wish to provide a searching tool for finding legal data.

If your copyrighted material is linked to by Torrent Downloads and you wish to have it removed, you must provide us with a notice that details the information listed in the following section. Please be aware that you will be liable for damages (including costs and attorneys' fees) if you misrepresent information listed on our site that is infringing on your copyrights. We suggest that you first contact an attorney for legal assistance on this matter.

The following elements must be included in your copyright infringement claim:

* Provide evidence of the authorized person to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
* Provide sufficient contact information so that we may contact you. You must also include a valid email address.
* Provide the link(s) of they allegedly infringed entry(s).
* You must identify in sufficient detail the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed.
* A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
* A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

Heroturko

http://www.heroturko.org/dmca.html

DMCA Policy

Heroturko.us is in compliance with 17 U.S.C. § 512 and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”). It is our policy to respond to any infringement notices and take appropriate actions under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) and other applicable intellectual property laws. If your copyrighted material has been posted on Heroturko.us or if links to your copyrighted material are returned through our search engine and you want this material removed, you must provide a written communication that details the information listed in the following section. Please be aware that you will be liable for damages (including costs and attorneys' fees) if you misrepresent information listed on our site that is infringing on your copyrights. We suggest that you first contact an attorney for legal assistance on this matter.

The following elements must be included in your copyright infringement claim:

* Provide evidence of the authorized person to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
* Provide sufficient contact information so that we may contact you. You must also include a valid email address.
* You must identify in sufficient detail the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed and including at least one search term under which the material appears in Heroturko.us' search results.
* A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
* A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
* Must be signed by the authorized person to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly being infringed.

Send the written infringement notice to the following address and an email notifcation to freshwap at hotmail.com

We inform you that due to problem with our search engine we can't guarantee that all content will be deleted, please sent us CLICKABLE direct links to each publication which contains your illegal material. Only in this case we can guarantee removal of all content.

Please allow 1-2 business days for an email response. Note that emailing your complaint to other parties such as our Internet Service Provider will not expedite your request and may result in a delayed response due the complaint not properly being filed.
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

I know that it's a problem that sucks, but...

Why not take it as a compliment that people like and respect your stuff so much that they're willing to pirate it out? Yes, send the infringement notice and do everything you can without wasting too much time, but you must be doing something right, so take pride in that fact.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

This topic was started on Sep 28, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.