Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Having Your Own IM Blog

emilsp
Trust:

Having Your Own IM Blog

While browsing this forum I've noticed that many people have their own blogs on internet marketing. As far as I understand, the primary source of traffic for such blogs is forum signatures, probably because there is too much competition in the search engines.

So my question is this: do you think it's a good idea to start yet another internet marketing blog in which I describe my journey in the world of IM rather than position myself as a guru? Do such blogs (assuming good content quality) tend to make good money in comparison to simple Affiloblueprint type of sites?

I understand that the IM niche is a lot more competitive than many others, but writing about internet marketing would also be a lot easier for me.

Any advice from people who own such blogs would be appreciated.

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
I started an IM blog several months ago. Honestly, I didn't do it to try to make money. I just wanted to have some way of keeping in touch with other people while I was learning the ropes. Working on IM can sometimes be a very lonely thing to do.

I am also using my blog as a way to test non-SEO traffic generation. I think the only thing my blog is optimized for is my name "Clayton" (according to Google Webmaster Tools). But I'm getting about 1,500 visitors / month just from forum posting and blog comments.

I think if you're going to start an IM blog to make money, you've got to be very careful about it. If you're a newbie, you don't want to position yourself as an expert when you aren't one, and you don't want to litter it with a bunch of ads unless you've really tried and used the products you're recommending.

IM is tough because most people know about affiliate marketing or are so jaded that they are skeptical of a lot of the promises out there. So unless you've got something to back up what you're promoting, I wouldn't expect too much success.

But having an IM blog can be rewarding for other reasons too. You can use it to make friends and meet people. It's also great to be able to look back on your progress and to see how far you've come. At least once a week, I get some kind of message from someone that tells me that they've basically read my whole blog from start to finish and that it's given them hope to keep going. That makes me feel pretty good :)
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

chris72
Trust:
Yeah, I'm with Clayton.

It wasn't actually a conscious decision to build our blog, actually, every logical bone in our bodies said not to do it, but it just seemed to happen really quickly and is a great outlet for all the info that we're gathering. Also we are making friends online and loving it, so it can't be all bad!

People like to hear from people that are slightly ahead of them on their journey, so that they can see where they have come from and see where it is possible to go in the immediate future - that's what makes Claytons blog so great - he is keeping it realistic for all of us that haven't quite made millionaire status yet, but that also know what keyword research is.

I guess if you feel the need to do it - go for it, it's not like you are going to run out of information anytime soon!
Kick-Butt Writing Services http://rachaelmcnaught.com

Outstanding Quality PLR Packs http://niche-plr-products.com

Learn to be a Digital Writer http://thedigitalwriter.net/

wollowra
Trust:
I agree with the above comments.
I started my blog to just have a place to voice my opinions on certain things and share what I have learnt.
One thing I will say though is you have to be committed to it.
It can take some brainstorming to write good solid content.

I have had alot of stuff going on lately and I have not even had a chance to really get into writing for my blog.
But it is there and whenever I feel the need to ramp it up, I can.
If you want to start a blog and you have had no previous successes with IM then just do what clayton did and write about your journey.
You might be surprised to see how many people can relate to you as a person and what you have to say.
You really need to know your stuff if you are going to start an IM blog and provide constant usable information.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
That is how IMRelations started, and it was my first site consistently making money. i didnt intend for it to, I had 2 ads, one for AB and one fro Traffic Travis pro, then I added a few other services and it grew up from there.

The thing is, most of the IM blogs that i know are making money arent trying to be experts. its a place to share your opinions and build up a community of people who like to listen to what you say. I see a lot of people do them and make a good income from putting adsense on them.

Most of my blog traffic comes from forums, and blog commenting. Also, I have recently delved into guest posting on other people's blogs.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

emilsp
Trust:
Thank you for your answers!

I think I will start my own blog as soon as I have some time for it.

pzenji
Trust:
I couldn't say anything more. Its been said by others. Well, my blog started just as a way to challenge myself on a weekly basis.
I always show a screenshot of my earnings and that way it forces me to work hard so that others see that its posible.
I have made lots of friends and got a few tips that people openly share with me. Its also great knowing that people visit the blog and draw inspiration from it.
I must warn you though. You wont make alot of money from the blog. In my six months of internet marketing, I have made just under $300 from my personal blog but am not bothered since I hardly do any SEO on the site save for forum commenting.
I hope this gives you an idea of what to expect
Dennis
I'm not here to sell you anything but glad to help whenever I can only through Pivate Msg.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
it all depends on how you run your blog Dennis, My IMRelations blog was my first site making a steady income, and continues to bring in a steady income, (without much seo I may add). It all depends on how well you promote yourself, what products you are promoting, and how well you network to get traffic to see your blog.

I know several people who started blogs to talk about their affiliate sites, and their blogs wind up being their biggest money makers.

emilsp
Trust:
I just watched the video Mark sent out today at
http://www.affilorama.com/videos/88803

Apart from other great tips, making money from the IM niche was also covered in great detail. I highly recommend this video to everyone. I think I learned more valuable information from this video than from any other similar IM video.

Somewhat contrary to your advice, Mark said that you should position yourself as a knowledgeable person, but rather than pretending to be a guru you should teach what you are learning right now.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
That is not contrary to my advice. it is agrees with it. like i said I started by sharing what I was learning. Mark is where i learned that from, and i saw that video too, ( Im one of those ones who gets their traffic from forum posting.)

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
I really liked that video. Especially that part at the beginning about mindset. Don't ever stop. Stay on the path and eventually you'll reach your goal, even if you're hobbling on crutches...
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
hey Clayton, I agree with you. I like marks stuff on mindset.

sonitin
Trust:
Mark's video was just awesome.. great mix of mindset stuff and how things actually work.

An IM blog is something I have been running away from for a long time even though its the only thing I do and enjoy..
"offshoreally.com" - One click for all outsourcing requirements including bookmarking, submissions, dedicated staff, link building..

Looking for a qualified virtual assistant to help you with your work? Click here - "offshoreally.com/internet-marketing-outsourcing-seo/virtual-assistant-link-building"

Enter The" Bad Ass" SEO Guest Blogging Contest to WIN CASH PRIZES http://bit.ly/9knBFs

PM me for coupon codes!

namllets
Trust:
I agree with Clayton. For me it's about keeping track of my progress and helping others. People relate to other people, not to companies or blogs. People also like stories of going from one place to another.

I've been doing SEO for about 6 years now but never made a business out of it until recently. So if you can show that you're an average guy starting from nothing and able to build a business from the ground up, people will respect that and eventually you can position yourself as a "guru" if that's what you want. I'm not too into that idea myself.

I think it's best to keep track of your progress, meet other people and hopefully help other people while you're on the journey.
I'm on my journey to finding affiliate freedom. Join me if you want tips and follow along as I go from zero to hopefully thousands per month in affiliate income.
Weekly Updates On My Affiloblueprint Success: http://www.affiliatefreedom.net/

emilsp
Trust:
Thank you all for the great advice in this thread.

I've finally done it! (OK, there's only one post, but still)

http://myimblog.com/

I also managed to get a short and relevant domain that happens to have 15 backlinks (according to yahoo). I guess I got lucky because I only paid $9 at namecheap.

After a while when there will be enough content in my blog I would be interested in doing guest posting with some of you guys.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
look me up emil, you can find my blog in the signature, and I have a page in the top for guest posters to register. Blog is looking nice, one thing that I would recommend though, is not sharing your niche sites. otherwise people will be copying you, stealing your keywords, and basically trying to thwart you. not that anyone here would do that, but you will start getting traffic from other places too.

You will see some of us that have several sites sharing one of ours as an example, but we also know that we are creating more competition for ourselves. Think about it, If you have 20-30 sites making you money, and lose one, you might feel it, but it wont be devastating. If you only have one,and someone decides to be a jerk, you are shooting yourself in the foot. Although we like to keep it nice here, there are others who are mean and will jump in to your niche just to beat a newbie down. its sad to see people that do those kind of things, but this business attracts a lot of them.
Its good to share updates and stuff, but most people don't share their exact niche sites when they do. they might mention what niche it is in, but that is about it.

emilsp
Trust:
Thanks for advice, James. I think you're right about this.

I initially decided to share my website because the dog training niche is highly saturated anyway. I thinks I've seen at least five Affiloblueprint dog training sites, and there are dozens of other well-established dog websites.

However, if someone was to take all my keywords and do exactly what I'm doing in SEO, that would definitely cause me trouble, so I guess I will not disclose my site.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
although there is no such thing as saturation of a market, and if you target a specific subgroup, you can build a site on any topic, and succeed, sharing your specific site with people so that they can steal your specific keywords is just a bad business move. I don't mind sharing my niches but I only have one niche site that I share with people, and i am using that one as my example in the training that I am doing.

This topic was started on Jul 26, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.