Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Google Panda Update 2.6

PremiumMember
strongfarmer
Trust:

Google Panda Update 2.6

Before the latest Google Panda update 13. october, my sites were making sales every 4-5 days (120 visitor p. day) but after the update, my visitors went down to 20 per day and no sales since then. Most of my pages dropped in ranking.

Are more people experiencing this?
PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
I am not experiencing any changes actually.... Well some properties has improved in ranking a few slots... but everything is as it was before traffic wise.... Well actually one site dropped pr from 2 to 1... but I think that is mainly because I have not backlinked this site for some time.....

But you could check out potpiegirl latest blog post....... there is a link to G quality handbook for manual reviews.... there are a few golden nuggets there...

My personal idea here is that it could be better to drop ranking right now than to improve it but lets see what happens in the ever changing game that G plays.... Maybe they are letting the spamish sites rice to the top so manual reviewers can block them and learn the G algo how they look like..... I would not be supprised if this is what they do...
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Are you still backlinking regularly bud? I noticed a big hit a few weeks ago, but it was because my backlinking efforts slacked down a little.

If you are still backlinking as big as you were, it may come down to just quality of backlinks. Awaiting what others have to say about it too though.
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Matt Cutts has tweeted the following Panda Weather Report last October 5:

mattcutts wrote:Weather report: expect some Panda-related flux in the next few weeks, but will have less impact than previous updates (~2%).

Though I'm not sure if this Panda-related flux is a tweak of Panda 2.5 or a new Panda 2.6 update.

Just continue to build quality backlinks and promoting your site and I'm sure your site will rank well again.
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

frankvue
Trust:
Yeah a lot of my sites went down. I had an 30+ page site that was making decent money disappear. Then I also have one "thin affiliate" website with 4 pages of content and less than 10 backlinks ranking very highly for it's keyword. I don't know what's going on here.
stefan1601
Trust:
n0thsa wrote:Are you still backlinking regularly bud? I noticed a big hit a few weeks ago, but it was because my backlinking efforts slacked down a little.

I did experience a hit as well, around 100/day to 20/day. But I have to admit that I stopped backlinking to a particular page once it has sit in G 1st page.

Do you keep backlinking your 1st page Ashton?
PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
stefan1601 wrote:
n0thsa wrote:Are you still backlinking regularly bud? I noticed a big hit a few weeks ago, but it was because my backlinking efforts slacked down a little.

I did experience a hit as well, around 100/day to 20/day. But I have to admit that I stopped backlinking to a particular page once it has sit in G 1st page.

Do you keep backlinking your 1st page Ashton?

I noticed the same things. And yeah I slowly went off backlinking to those pages I got up to #1. That was a big mistake. Nowadays I get it up to #1 and just slow the backlinking down (once it seems secured up there). I still do it, but just shift some of the effort to other pages.
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
Yeah more changes on my end too. Some came out on top, some dropped.

I really found that potpiegirl.com article extremely helpful.

It seems that the usual SEO stuff will help get your pages ranking, but now Google is employing manual reviewers to do quality control on the first page results. Go to that potpiegirl.com blog post and download the Google manual review guide book.

Do your sites fit the description of "thin affiliate"? Do you think your content would measure up as "useful," "relevant," or "somewhat relevant"?

Personally, what I'm doing is I'm noticing patterns about what types of sites Google likes by noticing who has been ranking on the front page consistently and I'm modeling the format of my sites after them (number of ads, blog/not blog, etc.).

I'd be extremely curious to know how Mark has been adapting to the post-panda world and what his recommendations are for recovery...
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
cterao wrote:
Yeah more changes on my end too. Some came out on top, some dropped.

I really found that potpiegirl.com article extremely helpful.

It seems that the usual SEO stuff will help get your pages ranking, but now Google is employing manual reviewers to do quality control on the first page results. Go to that potpiegirl.com blog post and download the Google manual review guide book.

Yes, potpie's article is very good :)

The link to the article is posted on this thread: Pandas and Algorithms Got You Beat?

cterao wrote:
I'd be extremely curious to know how Mark has been adapting to the post-panda world and what his recommendations are for recovery...

Mark said the recent google changes don't seem to have affected many Affiloblueprint site owners including himself. Google said themselves that these changes affected 11.8% of websites, so that's not a large portion of website owners. Many of those who have been affected have used a lot of black hat tactics to generate links and are now receiving no benefit from those tactics (not so much getting penalized, but low quality spammy links built on volume are getting even less value assigned to them from google).

Article marketing, blog networks, directory submissions and so forth still work well. As do other tactics taught in AffiloBlueprint.
Michelle
Customer Support

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Just getting settled in from my move and checking some of my stats. I have a few of my sites that totally disapeared, mainly ones that were just relying on SEO trafffic. My more social interactive sites all went up, even on pages that don't have as much social sharing as others. Not sure how big of a factor that is playing in reviews, but its something I am looking at, anyway.

Keep building links, improve the quality of your content, and try getting higher quality links to your pages. It should go back up with a little time and link building. With manual reviews, quality sites is more important than ever. Make sure you are using relevant content to the keywords in question, and get some quality links from authority sites within your niche, rather than relying on low quality linking tactics that waste your time.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

PremiumMember
strongfarmer
Trust:
Thank you all, for responding.

I have been watching my pages and many seems to be climbing back up the table.

What has also happened is that I have lost authority for many broad versions of my keywords.
Before about 120 broad searches per day pointed to my site, but now its only 20.
Will this number increase again when my pages start to rank higher?
carlmasure
Trust:
Hi guys,

I'm not sure I would agree with the "write quality sites" and you will be rewarded mode any longer. There have been too many good sites that bit the dust and too many garbage sites that did well.

I'd hold off on building mega sites until the big G is cured from corporate rectal cranial inversion.
smithlinda046
Trust:
strongfarmer wrote:Before the latest Google Panda update 13. october, my sites were making sales every 4-5 days (120 visitor p. day) but after the update, my visitors went down to 20 per day and no sales since then. Most of my pages dropped in ranking.

Are more people experiencing this?

I like this site so much. It is very useful site to every one. Thank you.

Link removed by moderator
PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
carlmasure wrote:Hi guys,

I'm not sure I would agree with the "write quality sites" and you will be rewarded mode any longer. There have been too many good sites that bit the dust and too many garbage sites that did well.

I'd hold off on building mega sites until the big G is cured from corporate rectal cranial inversion.

Yeah The old Just build quality sites and you are fine is just another broken record

The real thing is that G could not care less about affiliate sites.... IF you are trying to make money on internet you are spamming..... This is from the raters handbook...

[Images no longer available]

I think there is a lot of miss understanding about the quality rating and some raters could rate all the sites... its just bs!

Think of this procedure instead as Artificial Intelligence A Spinner is a good example.... The more you use an article spinner the better it gets.... This is just the same.... G raters is just teaching the G algo how they think spam looks like.... The more information it gets the better its detecting according to their view of it.....

When looking at this I know exactly why my rankings has not gone downwards also........ Hidining affiliate links in a way that i don't want to discuss to much but anyway's its impossible for a search engine bot to know if my sites are affiliate site or not since they cant determine links in the first place....
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

stefan1601
Trust:
"Affiliate pages that include original content in addition to the affiliate link are not spam"

Don't know about quality content, but to me it sounds like "don't even try to spin articles in your site and submit them everywhere else. If you do that, you're a spammer"
PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
Well Its just their way to say it.... Any tactic that could possible increment on G:s Revenue is a Spam tactic.... Few Companies are so full of themself as big G.

Anyway what you reall should think hard about is!

SECTION 5.1.1
Looking at domain registrant

Lets say you create review site ...... gadgetreviews.com... you register that site and when you check registar in some domain tools you see Register by Mr Gadget

Now you review some product and in your Call to Action you send potential buyers to gadgets.com

Now when they check in domain tools gadgets.com its registered by a complete other owner Sir GadgetBourgh

Congratulations you just wrote a 3000 words long awsome review but you are spamming internet... We as mighy Big G has to slapp your efforts...... that's what it means in clear English.....

So basically that means that every single affiliate review page that is not a huge huge brand like pricegrabber.com or others is Spam!!!!

Because the domain owner(registration details) will be different between a product owner and a affiliate review site.... It is dead easy for a Search engine bot to follow your links and determine if you have a affiliate site or if you are the orginal product owner....

So conclusion

1. Figure out how to get traffic from else where than big G

More shadier solution

2. Hide your affiliate links in a way that its impossible for a serachengine bot to determine if you have affiliate site or not

smuigal
Trust:
I've decided to give SEO a rest and try coming from it at another angle. The quality content angle. I figure... no matter what, it will never hurt your rankings to work on quality over quantity.

In my search to figure out the best way to go about this I came across some posts and articles on Guest Blogging. What I found was that Guest blogging can actually create what Google really wants. A naturally growing community that builds credibility to your site over time.

I liked James' thread on this subject, you can find it here:

affiliate-hangout/are-you-guest-posting-t8251.html

It will require more of my time... sigh.... I'm used to outsourcing all of my work. :P But... then again, I have wanted to rebuild my main site, netwoozy for a long time now and I believe a good way to gain good traffic is through guest posting.

Oh... heh... I just talked to one of my big SEO clients today and he agrees... he wants me to start guest posting for his blog. OYEE! Lol... oh well, I think I still might be able to outsource that for him. Shhhhh, don't tell him I said that. ;)
Need help? Looking for answers? I've coached 70+ students to 5 and 6 figure success. Private message me on FB for details on a one on one session for help knowing where to start your success or end your failure. https://www.facebook.com/netwoozy.gal

PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
Yeah I agree that guest posting is really great.... And you are not relying on G so much. And especially if you are taking that local SEO route then its probably a must to be guest posting in order to establish authority... From what I know James comes with a lot of ideas from the school of Jack Humphrey. And its certainly correct to build communities and let seo do its own work..... Its just that its not suited for every niche to guest post and what not..

if you take the IM guru route its probably great, Local SEO sure, weight loss niche probably, but if we are extreme here if you review toilet papers on bestoiletpapers.com its gonna be a bit harder to guest post ;)

And then its also SEO will probably be fine even with guest posts if you are just competing against other clickbankers.... but if you go into something more broad like physical products the dilemma remains.... Those on top are "Product owners" and you have bridged spam site as affiliate :).... it does not help that you write guest posts that are 3000 words long.... they own the product website..... you own a spammy affiliate link :) on a bridged 3rd party website.

SEO clients is one route i have been thinking of too... Its just that the cool thing with affmarketing is to possibly build up a lifestyle overtime.... With LocalSEO its just like another 9-5 job...

The other route would be to get into some more privatish affprograms that don't really have any authority ranking on top of google..... I mean if you are for example in the golf niche and try to get to the top of google you can almost forget it.... because your affsite will be a bridged page not the source of the product as g wants things to be.

as for now i take that a bit more shadier affiliate route to hide aff links completely for SEbots with some CSS hacks ;)

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
WEll, if you are trying to sell toilet paper via an affiliate site, I am not sure you really have a profitable niche anyway. But, you could get guest posts on home living blogs, mommy blogs etc...

If you look for an excuse to fail or someone to blame for your failure, you will always find it. However, if you choose to work hard, and look for a way to succeed, you will find that too. its all about mindset, and what you choose to focus on.

If you follow Mark's training on Choosing Niches, you should be in a niche that has blogs to guest post on as well as forums. I do follow Jack Humphrey a lot, and much of what I do for traffic generation, I learned from his various courses and ebooks. I have enven applied a lot of it to my static affiliate websites, and it still works as well there as it does on blogs.

It also depends on what you put into it. Honestly, if you have a viable niche, there will be some form of social media presence for that niche.

People are blowing things WAY out of proportion with the Google updates. they aren't out to kill affiliates, but the spammy affiliates building crap sites with thin content, poorly rewritten articles, and spammy review pages, and no real value added to the niche.

With my squeeze pages, I am doing more and more to teach something first before asking for the opt in. Because of this, my squeeze page videos get social sharing, and people talking about it. Most people won't see these results because they try to do the short ask for an opt in and provide no value before the sign up approach.

If you use quality original content, and you get links from trusted sources, you will be fine. My search rankings are going UP in most places, although a few have gone down with the latest updates. Its not the monetization method that is the issue, its the quality of sites you build, and the level of engagement you have with potential customers that is the biggest problem that I see.
]
It doesn't matter how good YOU think your site is. what matters is how good your readers think it is.

the fact is most affiliates I talk to are lying to themselves. they claim to have "quality content" but when I read it, it is exactly the same as 10000 other affiliate sites on the same topic. it boring, bland, poorly formated,and blatantly obvious to the average human that the person writing it is just out to make a buck, and cares nothing about them.

you have to build trust!

If you look at my blog, and even some of my aff sites, I don't have ads on every page. in fact, with my blogs 1/5 posts will have an advertisement. its more about building trust and authority than making a sale.

you cant really build authority in 100 different niches. you should pick out 2-3 niches that you truly are passionate about, and focus on building your reputation in those niche markets.

You have to get real. I write my articles from personal experience, and dont get involved in niches that I am not passionate enough about to write a ton of content, and engage people directly. Because of that, I can get loads of traffic without Google, and still get google to like what I say.

Google is also now putting more weight on social metrics. The more people talk about your content on social sites, the better your rankings will get.

most affiliates are just out to make money and don't care about the people coming to their sites. quality sites is important, but you also have to promote that content properly. if you are out to make a quick buck, and don't add value to the community, you are wasting time. Google can tell it, the readers can tell it, and you will suffer for it.
If you provide value, and help people a lot, you can recommend products and get them engaged on your site. then Google will like you, whether you are monetizing it with your own products, or as an affiliate.

I have always said, I build sites to help people with similar interests to my own, and happen to make money by referring them to other people's products as well. that mindset is something most people building affiliate sites don't have,

smuigal
Trust:
James I was thinking the same thing. I have this client who sells big construction items. He makes money as an Amazon affiliate. While his site doesn't offer any type of social blogging or community, it is still possible to use guest blogging to build a list for people within the niche of DIY home improvement.

I think what I like most about the way of the guest poster is that it will naturally increase the value of the website through backlinks left on high PR sites and the social aspects allows for people to add the site to their own resource section.

But one of the most appealing things to me is the opportunity to build a list. You write articles, and send the traffic to your squeeze page. Perhaps your squeeze page has a video with some great tips for people to absorb and use instantly. Giving away a really great tip upfront helps people see the value in opting into your newsletter to obtain more great tips.

So, for my client, let's say I create some great DIY tips on some type of construction DIY sort of thing. Then offer to give away more tips via a newsletter. Now that I have a list I can promote the Amazon products my client wants to sell from his site.

If I were to try and rank a blog in Google on DIY in his niche area it would be quite costly to do so. But, if I were to work on getting traffic through guest posting the results will be far better because the traffic that I capture will be people who have decided that I have exactly what they want to know more about.

Unlike Google traffic which is full of people who are more like tire kickers and have the attention span of a gnat.

I'm trying to be on vacation but I have to say I've been energized by this guest posting research I've done. I'm happy to know that I don't have to rely on Google for traffic and I can help my clients get traffic without Google as well. Yipee. It's win-win again for all of us.
Need help? Looking for answers? I've coached 70+ students to 5 and 6 figure success. Private message me on FB for details on a one on one session for help knowing where to start your success or end your failure. https://www.facebook.com/netwoozy.gal

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
For those in the IM niche, submissions to the Affilorama YO Blog are being accepted. Approved articles get a do follow link from your Affilorama YO Blog post back to their site.

And if your submission is really good, we may publish it on the regular Affilorama Blog, which means a backlink from a PR6 page! :)

For additional information, you can read Introducing the Affilorama YO Blog.

We look forward to reading your submissions :)
Michelle
Customer Support

smuigal
Trust:
Thanks Michelle, I actually was going to start posting for the YO blog here soon. :) I was thinking I'd like to spiffy up Netwoozy before I dove into it.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Hey Chrisi, don't put it off! that was one of my biggest mistakes. just get out there and start doing it. I need to put a few new posts on the YO Blog myself, in fact. I plan to give them a new one this week.

Of course, in order for guest posting to really work, you have to engage people, and you should have some really great content. Yes, if you think you can build a high quality site and people will just automatically find it, you are living in a dream world. without proper promotion of that site, you wont get anywhere. However, if you llook at all the big name sites online, not a single one got where they are today by spamming hundreds of low quality sites for links.

In fact, all the big sites got where they are because people with authority used them, and recommended people to them. SO, if you want to become an authority in your niche, you need to network with the authority figures. If you don't have a quality site, they WONT share it with their readers, no matter how much you beg and plead.

I really recommend this post I just read over at SEarch Engine land.

Quit Blaming Your Suck on Panda

Is it just me or has Google’s panda update become the scapegoat for poor SEO? It seems like every day I come across an article where some website I’ve never heard of is blaming Panda for a loss of traffic/revenue/rankings and crying about how Google is unfair. If you are thinking about calling the New

smuigal
Trust:
Hey James,

Funny, I just read that post earlier this morning. And I am doing my best to create great content on Netwoozy.com. I was able to snag a copy of um... hm... what is her name? Kiesha... her blog, weblogbetter.com is pretty nice. I got a copy of her blogging guide and she recommends you post everyday, twice a day if possible. Two times is a bit much for me, once is my goal.

I did a post on Facebook VS Google Plus. FB has 750 million users and Google is at 40 mil in just 4 months. Check it out and tell me what you think of my little FB VS G+ image. :)

I have a large SEO client I have to take care of this week so no Yo posting, but I'll work on it perhaps later near the end of the week.

I wonder if Google will get Groupon? The rumor is Groupon may be holding out for a higher offer.

Man... there is so much money out there - but in far too little pockets!

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Has GroupOn gone public yet? No news here about it in Australia, but just wondering how much it's going for.

I've been doing some reading in finance, the biggest problem for sites like GroupOn is that they don't produce anything. The majority of their "profit" is made through being an intermediary or "middle man".

The business model is unique and great, but often overvalued, in my opinion.

If you guys look at NetFlix for example, and it's share price over the last few months, you'll see what I mean about busniess models that don't "produce" anything.

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Anyway back to the thread topic. James has pretty much said it all. Ease up on the negativity I reckon.

I still have my first ever AffiloBlueprint site which I made back in 2009/2010 and that's ranking #1 for a few keywords and has been for months now. Hasn't been touched at all by any of the Google updates.

At the same time, lots of my newer sites have been knocked around.

Difference? I've had more consistent backlinking processes on my older site, focused on the long term. I've also been regularly updating the site every month at least. And most importantly, it has age.

I reckon keep updating, keep building quality links, keep the content at good quality, and with time the sites will get back up. Also look for other sources. It's been said more than three times in this thread.

This topic was started on Oct 18, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.