Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Getting someone else to write your articles.

kurt
Trust:

Getting someone else to write your articles.

With my first site, i've chosen to write my own articles. Then next site I would rather pay someone at Elance to write them for me. But, I'm curious how you would do that because if they're going to do a good job of writing your articles, then they are going to have to do some research first.

In doing the research for my first site I have gotten information from everywhere that I could. From other people's product reviews, from other peoples sites and articles. Unfortunately there wasn't really any forums on it. But, anyways, even with all the information I gathered, my articles are short and mediocre at best. And I was only able to write about 4 articles for each product. With out actually buying the products myself, my information is limited, and I feel like I'm saying some of the same things in each article.

My point is, if I can't write good articles myself with all the research I've done without actually buying the product (which I will eventually have to do), then how is someone else going to unless they've gone through the product? Because you can't do a good job (at least not with this product) from free information on the web. There's just not enough information and it's not detailed enough.

So what would you do, supply them with a copy? I would rather fork up the extra money to make sure they have enough information to do a good job, then have them write me crapy articles from limited information that they got from the web. Maybe you could buy the product and then send them a copy to their email. That way you also have a copy. What would you do?
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Having worked as a freelance writer myself, I can tell you that they probably have sources of research and information that you aren't even aware of, especially if you are in a niche that you don't know very well. most elance writers wont accept a project unless they are sure that they can accomplish what they tell you.

I personally would never do product reviews without an actual review copy. as a writer, It was agreed that the client would always supply me with a review copy of anything they wanted me to review. I always told them this upfront.

When writing your articles, remember, you are not writing to sell a product, you are writing to help solve a problem. if the product doesn't solve a problem, you wont make sales.

Your job with your articles is to identify the problems in your niche, and write articles that help people with those problems.

It would help to know more though. if you don't want to share it publicly, PM me with what niche you are targeting, and perhaps I can give you some ideas that will help.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Hey Kurt,

For reviews it's understandable but for general articles I don't see the dilemma. If it's regarding general articles, to me it sounds like you're writing to sell, and writing to promote a product. Pruitt said it right here:

"When writing your articles, remember, you are not writing to sell a product, you are writing to help solve a problem."

For all your general articles, I would think that you're looking to solve a problem or give advice on an issue, right? So technically they wouldn't need the product because their research methods would be enough (as Pruitt also said, most freelancers and article writing teams have methods of researching and getting information that you probably wouldn't normally think of).

For reviews though, I definitely agree that they'd need the product (at least for a quality review). Hope it helped.

Cheers,
Ashton
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Kurt wrote:So what would you do, supply them with a copy? I would rather fork up the extra money to make sure they have enough information to do a good job, then have them write me crapy articles from limited information that they got from the web. Maybe you could buy the product and then send them a copy to their email. That way you also have a copy. What would you do?

You could contact the merchant and ask for a review copy of their product. 50% of the merchants usually give their affiliates a free copy. Tell them that you want to promote their product. Just make sure that your site is already up and give them your site URL.
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

kurt
Trust:
Micheallerana wrote,

You could contact the merchant and ask for a review copy of their product. 50% of the merchants usually give their affiliates a free copy. Tell them that you want to promote their product. Just make sure that your site is already up and give them your site URL.

I have heard that advice before, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Yeah, if you have a site up before asking the merchant for a review copy they would probably be more willing to give you a free copy, because they will know that you're serious. But, isn't the point of getting a copy so that you can write articles and build a site. It seems to me you have to have the review copy first. Otherwise what can you show them -your header?

Pruitt wrote

It would help to know more though. if you don't want to share it publicly, PM me with what niche you are targeting, and perhaps I can give you some ideas that will help.

I am curious to see what kind of advice you could give me, but I can't figure out how to PM you on here.
PremiumMember
toby101
Trust:
Pruitt wrote

I am curious to see what kind of advice you could give me, but I can't figure out how to PM you on here.

Click on the icon picture of Mr Pruitt and it will take you to his profile page. On his profile page on the left side you will see a link "send this user a message" click that a fire away. By the way James knows his stuff - worth taking him up on that offer!
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Kurt wrote:I have heard that advice before, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Yeah, if you have a site up before asking the merchant for a review copy they would probably be more willing to give you a free copy, because they will know that you're serious. But, isn't the point of getting a copy so that you can write articles and build a site. It seems to me you have to have the review copy first. Otherwise what can you show them -your header?

Some merchants and affiliate networks require that you show them your site before they approve you as an affiliate. Getting a free review copy (or a discounted one) requires the same thing. This is guarantee for merchants that you do have a site and that you can promote their product in it.
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Kurt wrote:Micheallerana wrote,

I have heard that advice before, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Yeah, if you have a site up before asking the merchant for a review copy they would probably be more willing to give you a free copy, because they will know that you're serious. But, isn't the point of getting a copy so that you can write articles and build a site. It seems to me you have to have the review copy first. Otherwise what can you show them -your header?

The merchant actually wants to see if your site and articles are relevant to their product. Your site should contain high quality and informative articles and not just product reviews. Otherwise your visitors will not be interested in staying and revisiting your site.

Kurt wrote:Pruitt wrote

Click here then on the "Send user a message" link.
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Usually it doesn't take much to get a few articles. they don't have to be perfect. I do a lot of my article research by reading niche blogs and other online content, to start with. Then, once I get a site up, and get a few things down, you can go request a review copy. Another Great source of research material that I have mentioned in several previous threads is the public library. My library card is one of my most essential marketing tools that I use for content research.

the point of requesting a review copy isn't for your articles, although it is great research material for that. The main reason for getting a review copy is so that you can do a product review. Product review keywords are the highest converting traffic that you can target, but you should never post reviews of a product that you have never seen.

As far as what help I could give you, I have a bit of a habit of thinking outside the box. I even gave one of the blogging gurus that I network with some new ideas for uses of one of his tools the other day that he hadn't even considered.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

This topic was started on Sep 02, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.