Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

First $43 sale after 209 days and 551 hours

endy daniyanto
Trust:

First $43 sale after 209 days and 551 hours

How long does it take to make money using AffiloBlueprint?

Here is my answer: 551 hours of work spread over 209 days!

Finally, after more than 6 months working on my first (and probably only) AffiloBlueprint website, I made my first $97 sale with a commission of $43.

UPDATE: as of August 5, 2013, my website has produced 73 subscribers and $419.21 in commissions. I have discontinued working on this website (to the point of not renewing the domain) due to working on other, more profitable projects.

I intentionally tracked the amount of time working on each step of AffiloBlueprint from the start. Here are the statistics so far:

Step 1 Market research and keywords: 34 hours (6% of total time)
Step 2 Creating content: 169 hours (31% of total time)
Step 3 Setting up your website: 9 hours (2% of total time)
Step 4 Website design: 32 hours (6% of total time)
Step 5 On page SEO: 20 hours (4% of total time)
Step 6 Off page SEO: 178 hours (32% of total time)
Step 7 Additional link building: 31 hours (6% of total time)
Step 8 Newsletters: 74 hours (13% of total time)

During the 209 days since I started, there were days where I didn't work on this one website at all. In the last month, I completely left the website alone since it was "one of the less than 2%" that got hit by the now world famous AffiloTheme "Nightmare" update (which apparently is even more horrendous than Google Panda or Penguin)

Fortunately though, last evening I checked into Clickbank and there it was: my first $43 commission from a product I am only promoting on this AffiloBlueprint based website. I have been waiting a long time to write this report, and now I finally am able to do so.

One special note: this is NOT my first Clickbank sale. I have actually made close to $1,000 using "another method" that I bought because Mark Ling himself promoted it ... apparently this works better and faster than AffiloBlueprint - at least in my case.

But, I decided to write this detailed report just to give a "heads up" or a reference point for those of you who are still building your first affiliate site.

Second special note: If I were to start over, I would drastically change my strategy. On one other website that I built not using AffiloBlueprint, I was able to make my first sale in 4 days after buying the domain.

I will keep updating this post as my earnings from this AffiloBlueprint based website increase. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them.

Cheers,
Endy
Last edited by endy daniyanto on 05 Aug 13 2:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Songwriter. Affiliate marketer. Casual gamer.

lloydc1c1
Trust:
Wow, congratulations on your first sale. I have a few questions. I would like to know what is your main link building strategies. Do u post articles to free article directories and to AMA automation as Mark suggested in the course or do you used other methods.

Secondly I would like to know when you used the other method you mentioned you got a sale in 4 days. What is the difference to the strategy in the other method that you are using because getting a sale after 4 days sounds a bit to good too be true.

Please share,

Cheers.
endy daniyanto
Trust:
lloydc1c1 wrote: I would like to know what is your main link building strategies. Do u post articles to free article directories and to AMA automation as Mark suggested in the course or do you used other methods.

Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for the comments.

In the AffiloBlueprint course Mark does recommend using AMA as the first link building strategy. However, when I went through that step, AMA was not open to new members so I couldn't register. Therefore, my link building strategy does not included AMA.

It does include posting articles to free article directories like you say:

1. I write one article that is unique (solely for the purpose of link building)
2. I spin it using a spinner tool until it has more than 50% uniqueness
3. I post a spun version each to four directories: Ezine Articles, Go Articles, Articles Base, and Amazines.

This is the only article marketing that I do. On this website, I don't use automatic article submission by software or service; it is all manual.

My main link building strategy is building link wheels using Web 2.0 and article marketing.

I have developed my own "tactic" which I call the "Evelyn" method based on Mark's original link wheel diagram, and it seems to work quite well. My site is ranking from #9 to #12 (changing on certain days) for my target product based keyword. This is the product that made my first sale.

Perhaps I will explain this tactic in detail in a further post.

lloydc1c1 wrote:Secondly I would like to know when you used the other method you mentioned you got a sale in 4 days. What is the difference to the strategy in the other method that you are using because getting a sale after 4 days sounds a bit to good too be true.

I started using the "other method" around late October 2012.

There are several differences between this other method and AffiloBlueprint, but the main point is I built a new site with an exact match product name keyword. The "other method" is NOT about building exact match domains, but it is part of the training found inside it.

This exact match domain is combined with a new product that is about to launch. This tactic is known as "Launch Jacking", and it is quite a popular method for making money online.

Using exact match domain for product keyword and combine it with the buzz of a product launching are the 2 keys of successful "Launch Jacking".

Using Launch Jacking, it is very possible to score your first sale merely days after you set up your website. There is already a swarm of Launch Jackers, jacking internet marketing product launches.

Luckily, I combined Launch Jacking with a private affiliate program that only a small number of people knew about. Therefore I received very little competition in terms of search engine rankings. My site got to position #8 in just 3 days after I bought the domain, and it made a sale the very next day.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Cheers,
Endy

PremiumMember
hugobiwan1
Trust:
I got curious about this method. Does it mean you register a domain with a name as close as possible to the product's name? So if if that works, it means domain name is still a very important factor in Google's search algorithm...
I wonder if anybody else has experience with Launch Jacking technique.
Hugo Pereira

endy daniyanto
Trust:
hugobiwan1 wrote:Does it mean you register a domain with a name as close as possible to the product's name? So if if that works, it means domain name is still a very important factor in Google's search algorithm

Hi Hugo,

Yes, the method involves registering a domain as close as possible to the product's name.

Many Launch Jackers recommend registering the product domain such as productname.net or productname.org, but I find that if the product is popular then it is almost always already taken.

The other choice you can do is register productnamereview.net or org. For internet marketing products, you can also register productnamebonus.net or org, since bonuses are a part of IM culture.

However, in other niches using a productnamebonus domain might not work, since there might not be people who are looking for "weight loss secrets bonus", for example.

Based on my experience, exact match domains work for Launch Jacking because it's a brand new product. Therefore, Google shows results in a "breaking news" style, so even sites only 1 day old can get spots in the Top 10.

That said, there are Launch Jackers who are on the 1st page using their brand name websites with a product name keyword page on their site.

If you were to go after a more "generic" keyword, exact match domains still work, but you have to have quality content of course.

hugobiwan1 wrote:I wonder if anybody else has experience with Launch Jacking technique.

Hugo, probably thousands of people have experience with Launch Jacking. Like I said, there is already a swarm of internet marketers jacking internet marketing products.

For example, do a search for "Easy Video Suite" (or add "review" or "bonus"). This is an internet marketing product that's about to be launched next week. You can get an idea of how many people are doing Launch Jacking as part of their make money online strategy.

In particular, search for "Easy Video Suite bonus" and check out what people are doing to rise above the competition.

One note about Launch Jacking is that it's a "sprint" style strategy, because some of these products close after a week or two, so you spend that one week blasting out everything you have to score a big, one time payday.

This is why some more experienced internet marketers actually avoid Launch Jacking, since it's quite "volatile" and depends on perfect timing.

Cheers,
Endy

esolutions
Trust:
Hi Endy,

That's good stuff. It would be interesting (and relevant) to know what type of traffic you are getting to the affiloblueprint site. My first affiloblueprint style site logged the first sale in much less time and with much less work...

About launch jacking, yes, it can be volatile, but if you pick products that are more likely to be continued or launched with updated versions, then your site can become something a bit more long term.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

endy daniyanto
Trust:
esolutions wrote:It would be interesting (and relevant) to know what type of traffic you are getting to the affiloblueprint site.

Hi Matt,

The type of traffic I am getting according to Google analytics:

1. 63% search
2. 17% referral
3. 20% direct

(I still don't quite get what "direct' traffic means)

The referral traffic is coming from similar themed sites where I posted a comment or made a trackback. There is also traffic from the article marketing that I've done.

I agree, if I were to build a second AffiloBlueprint style site, I would change my strategy drastically. After the mild success of this first site, I am beginning to understand what works and what needs to be done first for faster profits.

Perhaps I should note that this site is my first ever affiliate site.

esolutions wrote:About launch jacking, yes, it can be volatile, but if you pick products that are more likely to be continued or launched with updated versions, then your site can become something a bit more long term.

Yes, I agree. The product that I chose in the case study above is an "evergreen" product that just launched. I think most of the Launch Jackers are also after the Leaderboard prizes that can sum up to thousands in cash.

Cheers,
Endy

Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
Hi Endy,

Direct traffic means that these are visitors who already know about your site and they do not anymore click links to get to your site. Instead they directly type in your site in their browser to visit your page.

Congratulations, btw :)

Mary
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: http://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: http://www.affilorama.com/facebook

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

endy daniyanto
Trust:
Hi Mary,

Thank you for clearing that up. I thought it was that at first, but then I doubted that people would type my website directly in the address bar - I must be doing something right if they remember my site!

Cheers,

Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
ed5 wrote:Hi Mary,

Thank you for clearing that up. I thought it was that at first, but then I doubted that people would type my website directly in the address bar - I must be doing something right if they remember my site!

Cheers,

No problem :) Yes, you are doing a good job! Keep it up!

Mary
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: http://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: http://www.affilorama.com/facebook

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

lcortezbarcelo
Trust:
Hi, Congratulations for making that first sale!!! For me It took me a while too to make that first sale but then I remember it was a unique feeling, is really exciting!!!

I wish you to have much more sales!! Again Congratulations!! =)
aditd
Trust:
That is the time it took you to make a sale. Other can make it in an hours, others in 10 minutes. True that are people that will never make one ;)
http://www.couponsitescript.com - Turnkey Affiliate Moneymaking Business

http://www.codecoupondiscount.com - Coupon Site Script in Action

endy daniyanto
Trust:
lcortezbarcelo wrote:Hi, Congratulations for making that first sale!!! For me It took me a while too to make that first sale but then I remember it was a unique feeling, is really exciting!!!

Hi Cortez,

Thank you for the support. Yes, when I received that first sale, my reaction was to jump up and down! I had to calm myself down, but I let myself absorb the joy of the moment.

Of course, what I found is that the first sale is impressive - but then you start to frown why you aren't making more sales :) Gratitude is a key to growth, so I think everyone should take the time to be grateful for their first sale.

endy daniyanto
Trust:
aditd wrote:That is the time it took you to make a sale. Other can make it in an hours, others in 10 minutes. True that are people that will never make one ;)

Hi Adit,

10 minutes may really be too good to be true :) (Unless you were doing a product launch with major name JV affiliates - but that's a totally different story).

I think the reason why there are people who never make a sale online is because they don't give it enough time.

Here is a post from PotPieGirl (Jennifer Ledbetter) back in 2008 that shows you how much time is "normal" before you can expect to get steady results (which may include getting your first sale): http://www.potpiegirl.com/2008/12/2008-stats-earnings-more/

I am currently testing out other methods from other training programs to figure out which one has the potential to score the fastest sale. Note, just because it's fast, doesn't mean it's big - some methods are designed for quick cash infusion, other methods for scoring high commissions.

Cheers,
Endy

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Endy,

Thanks for sharing that article from PotPieGirl's site! I would make sure to refer to that when asked (yet again!) how quick/soon/fast you can earn from affiliate marketing.

The truth is that it does take considerable time and effort before you can see that first sale. What is sad is that most quit before they are even halfway through the course. And you're right, some training programs are designed to get you earning right away, while others for creating high commissions.

Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

esolutions
Trust:
Since the majority of your traffic is coming from search, now you need to analyze and figure out why and which terms stress buyer intent, rather than simply information seeking visitors. You can still turn information seekers into sales, but that requires knowing and presenting them with the right information that takes them step by step leading to a sale.
Get More Opt Ins:

endy daniyanto
Trust:
esolutions wrote:Since the majority of your traffic is coming from search, now you need to analyze and figure out why and which terms stress buyer intent, rather than simply information seeking visitors.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the tips! Since I built the site using AffiloBlueprint, most of the keywords are for information seekers. I didn't have a clue about buyer intent keywords until I started making sales :)

So you're saying to optimize the website content by putting priority on the terms that are buyer intent, including optimizing for conversion on these pages and building links to them?

esolutions wrote:You can still turn information seekers into sales, but that requires knowing and presenting them with the right information that takes them step by step leading to a sale.

Also known as: an auto responder sequence, right? I'm still working on developing skills on how to build and manage and email list, but I have a small 2 week follow up campaign for people who sign up for the free opt in.

Cheers,
Endy

esolutions
Trust:
ed5 wrote:
So you're saying to optimize the website content by putting priority on the terms that are buyer intent, including optimizing for conversion on these pages and building links to them?

esolutions wrote:You can still turn information seekers into sales, but that requires knowing and presenting them with the right information that takes them step by step leading to a sale.

Also known as: an auto responder sequence, right? I'm still working on developing skills on how to build and manage and email list, but I have a small 2 week follow up campaign for people who sign up for the free opt in.

Cheers,
Endy

It's not a bad thing to also have information based pages, what I'm really saying is that it's important to understand the mindset of the person on a specific page so that you can craft your message appropriately. If they are seeking information, give them information and then prod them along to learn even more. An autoresponder sequence is one effective way to do this.
Get More Opt Ins:

endy daniyanto
Trust:
esolutions wrote:What I'm really saying is that it's important to understand the mindset of the person on a specific page so that you can craft your message appropriately.

Thanks Matt,

Yes, that's the "holy grail" for content marketers: how to sculpt the "perfect" copy to deliver a compelling solution. If they are ready to buy, then have that available; but if they are only browsing, then have a sequence available.

Cheers,

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
one thing to keep in mind is that although some systems offer up quick results, they often are based on spam or unsavory practices that work for a short time and then are knocked out by updates to search standards, making it harder to maintain.

the AB system is about creating a quality authority style site and building lasting income through the process. It can take time for them to take off, but the rewards are much more sustainable over time, giving you more consistent results with less effort on the back end.

Although some systems promise fast results, and some take longer to see sustainable results, the long rout always takes less work OVER TIME than the quick fixes because you can leverage the same basic strategy with small changes in how you implement it.

There will still be things that have to change, like any real business in the changes of technology. however over all the AB system hasn't changed that much and is still as effective today as it was when it was originally developed.

It all comes down to making a quick buck and starting over in a few months when Google catches up, or building quality from the start and realizing with time and patience, you will get there.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

endy daniyanto
Trust:
jmpruitt wrote:the AB system is about creating a quality authority style site and building lasting income through the process. It can take time for them to take off, but the rewards are much more sustainable over time, giving you more consistent results with less effort on the back end.

Hi James,

Yes, I agree with that.

The problem though is when I was starting out, I wanted a "get rich quick" method :)

Now that I have made money from both methods (sniper style sites and authority style sites), I find that the strategy that works for me is building a diverse portfolio that comprises both.

Also, I would already change how I approach building an authority style site based on the AffiloBlueprint plan, including targeting product keywords much earlier in the content creation phase.

This will seriously reduce the up front time needed to get to that first sale.

Cheers,
Endy

kallayprasanth05
Trust:
It is really encouraging to know that you have made your first sale after a lot of hard work. It shows that hard work pays for sure. I have just begun to market affiloblueprint and I hope to make a sale at some point of time.
How to Write Effective Text Ads: http://writetextadswithease.net/

PremiumMember
rominafarrugia
Trust:
Hi and thanks for sharing Ed. Your posts are very detailed, instructive and can be understood.

If you were to start over and use the affiloblueprint immediately what timeframe would you allot yourself to manage your time effectively? is it better to work four evenings a week, or two evenings and one day?

Looking forward to your suggestion.
endy daniyanto
Trust:
rominafarrugia wrote:Hi and thanks for sharing Ed. Your posts are very detailed, instructive and can be understood.

If you were to start over and use the affiloblueprint immediately what timeframe would you allot yourself to manage your time effectively? is it better to work four evenings a week, or two evenings and one day?

Looking forward to your suggestion.

Thank you for your kind comments, Romina :)

If I were to start over, I would build things slowly but be very smart about which steps to take first.

On this first site, I actually wrote all 40 articles before I posted them online. Today, I would write one article and post it immediately so it can start getting indexed by the search engines as soon as possible.

Also, I would write a product review as my first article.

On top of that, I now only write one article every two weeks but use the time in between to promote each new article I write. Each article I turn into a presentation slide, then I record a voice over, and combine both into a video. The presentation can be uploaded to document sharing sites, the voice over as a podcast, and the video is obviously for video marketing.

That way, I write the content once but have multiple media formats to generate more traffic (still experimenting with this method, but it is based on a very good tutorial I bought recently).

Based on my data above, I spend an average about 3 hours per day to work on internet marketing (for this AffiloBlueprint site). The amount of time I spend total on all my projects amount to more than 6 hours per day (but the results are worth the effort).

I do enjoy writing though, and have a natural talent for it; so this might make me slightly different than other internet marketers who don't like to write.

Regarding the time allocation, each person is different - although I did eventually resign from my day job to concentrate full time as an affiliate marketer.

Sometimes you have to take the jump, before you can land where you want to be.

Cheers,
Endy

PremiumMember
rominafarrugia
Trust:
Big thank you for the detailed reply. Will mull it over and adapt it. I suggest also maybe learning basic copywriting skills. I try to learn a little new every week and use it immediately. It's what works for me.

Thanks again Endy.
endy daniyanto
Trust:
rominafarrugia wrote:I suggest also maybe learning basic copywriting skills.

Yes, that is a great step.

I first started learning internet marketing in January 2012, and without realizing it the first skill I learned was about how to write copy writing. Little did I know that it would be very important and become my main "weapon" to differentiate myself from all the other internet marketers out there.

Here are the top 3 copy writers that I learn from:

1. Gary Bencivenga: http://www.marketingbullets.com/archive.htm
2. Gary Halbert: http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/
3. Copyblogger: http://www.copyblogger.com/best-of-copyblogger-2012/

Mark Ling himself also reads Copyblogger. You can also learn from Dan Kennedy, but he is more about direct mail marketing in the offline world.

Cheers,
Endy

PremiumMember
rominafarrugia
Trust:
Thanks for sharing the links. In your opinion which author offers the ideal starting point? Gary's newsletter bulletproof english seemed great to understand, whilst the last link offered a great marketing resource. Added those two to my faves list so that I will read and apply.
endy daniyanto
Trust:
rominafarrugia wrote:In your opinion which author offers the ideal starting point?

Those 3 are already the best of my short list (I have a longer list of copy writing experts I learn from). Any one of them are a great starting point.

Copyblogger has constant updates, while Gary Bencivenga and Gary Halbert are "evergreen".

Cheers,
Endy

swordsedge89
Trust:
ed5 wrote:
rominafarrugia wrote:In your opinion which author offers the ideal starting point?

Those 3 are already the best of my short list (I have a longer list of copy writing experts I learn from). Any one of them are a great starting point.

Copyblogger has constant updates, while Gary Bencivenga and Gary Halbert are "evergreen".

Cheers,
Endy

Thanks ed :) Most people give up but I find this forum an inspiration, and helpful because I find few gold nuggets like you and Andrew, and also the staff of affilo-forum :) Keep us posted time to time. Speaking to people directly through podcasts and video is pretty good for conversion. Thanks again.
feelfreedom
Trust:
Awesome post Endy and guys who contributed for more information! I need to read posts like these to keep me motivated but also very important to grab the tips from the people that have already had success!

I hope that soon I will be sharing my own success story...and tips! :-D

Thank you!

Vicky
mamagy
Trust:
Quick question- What's the "Nightmare" update you mentioned in the first post?
endy daniyanto
Trust:
mamagy wrote:Quick question- What's the "Nightmare" update you mentioned in the first post?

Hi Mamagy,

Around this time last year, there was an AffiloTheme update. During that update, around 2% of users were negatively affected: in other words, my site went blank.

Because of that, my site also lost the rankings (it was on Page 1, but then it was not even in the top 5). Of course, this broke my heart and made me not want to continue.

However, after the problem was rectified, I was able to recover my rankings and continue where I left off. Even though it came back, since then I do not trust AffiloTheme at all - although other people are fine using it.

Cheers,

mamagy
Trust:
Oh... Sorry to hear that. At least you can continue well, nothing's actually lost :)
I, for example, don't trust any electronics to the end, just because the same reason- one little error and everything can be just gone forever :P That makes me very cautious, I make most of my important notes on the notebook, not in computer and so on...

But happy for you though, that everything has worked out. I'm still struggling and trying to find motivation :)
endy daniyanto
Trust:
UPDATE: 3 December 2013

Interestingly, I made a sale of the product I promoted on this no longer available website.

How could I have made a sale if the affiliate link doesn't exist?

It turns out that the sale came from a Web 2.0 property that I made during the link building part of going through the course. It is a review type property, and besides creating a link to my site, I also linked straight to the product with an affiliate link.

Lesson: never underestimate the power of Web 2.0 properties. It's OK to use spun or scraped content, but sometimes taking the time to write original useful content can be profitable too.

Cheers,

saikatbanerjee24
Trust:
Hi Endy

Thats a tonne for the inspirational post and comments. I really find yo as an inspiration and wish to connect with you if you allow.

Please share your skype or email id.
Or kindly ping me at :saikat.banerjee99(skype)

All the best. looking forward to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Saikat
elyfields
Trust:
Found this thread only recently.

I'm hoping for more case studies from you, Endy. :)
Ely

endy daniyanto
Trust:
saikatbanerjee24 wrote:Hi Endy

Thats a tonne for the inspirational post and comments. I really find yo as an inspiration and wish to connect with you if you allow.

Hi Saikat,

I'm glad you found the post inspiring :)

elyfields wrote:I'm hoping for more case studies from you, Endy. :)

Hi Ely,

Thanks for reading. Unfortunately, this site is gone so the case study has ended. But I'm working on a free report that reveals how I made my first dollar online (and the website still makes me up to $200/month today, 3 years later ...)

I'll post it here once I've finished writing it.

Cheers,

This topic was started on Jan 10, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.