Affilorama Birthday
Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Finding your Blog?

PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:

Finding your Blog?

Hi All,

How does a blog get found? I mean if you have a website and you have a link to your blog, I understand that. But how does one find your blog that has not been to your website? I am assuming it's just like finding a website.....relevant content, SEO....etc. Correct? Does Google and Yahoo and Bing list your blog just as they list your website in the search engines?

Forgive the ignorance
Thanks!!

Jason
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hey Jason,

Yeah a blog is just like a regular website. I reckon these days the line between "blog" and "normal website" can even be a little blurry since a lot of "normal" websites are set up using "blog" software as the content management system.

People will find your blog in the same way that they would find a "normal" website that you started from scratch, and the search engines treat it the same way too.

I'm assuming you're talking about a self-hosted blog, like one you run on your own domain name and manage with something like WordPress. You could also set up a blog on a site like Tumblr, but that doesn't have the same flexibility as managing your own.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Well we used Blogger....How is that in comparison?
What is self hosted vs. non self hosted?
Thanks

Jason
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Self hosted means you've installed something like WordPress on your own web hosting, using your own domain name.

Hosted would be a blog like yourblog.blogger.com or yourblog.tumblr.com -- it's one that is hosted by the company who you're using to run your blog. The easiest way is to look at the web address for your blog. If it's anything other than your domain name, it's probably hosted by someone else.

When YOU host something it means there's nobody else telling you what to do, or imposing conditions. Some blog networks get a little heavy on people who want to promote affiliate products, or might impose restrictions on the types of topics you can talk about. For instance WordPress.com (not to be confused with the WordPress software that you can install on your own website) is a hosted blog community that doesn't let you post links to some affiliate products, doesn't let you have AdSense, etc.

You'd have to look into the terms and conditions of your blog network to see if there are any conditions that are going to make things difficult for you.

In terms of people being able to find it.... your blogger blog is like any other website. BUT if you have a "regular" website, and you want to add a blog to it, I'd recommend not using something like Blogger and instead setting up WordPress on the same domain in a /blog/ sub folder. That means that your blog can piggyback on the popularity of your existing site, and it'll be easier to get your blog content ranking in the search engines.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Can blogger not do the same thing? Piggyback the popularity of our site...

Sorry for the basic questions. I'm new to blogging

Jason
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
I was speaking more from an SEO perspective. If your website is doing really well in the search engines, has lots of great backlinks, and Google loves it... it usually means that any additional pages you add to your site get a bit of the love spread around. Like being born into a rich family... they didn't earn the money, but they still get to live in the fancy house. Hah!

When your blog is hosted on a separate domain, the connection to your existing website isn't as strong. You can link to it from your main website, and this will give it some benefit, but it's not quite the same as living in the same house (so to speak).

That said, I think you can do some tweaks to blogger so that it looks like it's part of your domain. (Eg, you might be able to set it up so that the address is yourdomain.com/blog). This would probably help, but I'm not 100% sure.

PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Could you explain how to go about getting a self directed blog going with Wordpress software? Do I need to register for a domain name and then apply WordPress to my domain name? Is there a link you can give me for that. Also, where do you suggest registering a domain name?

I have started a couple of blogs on blogger and have some affiliate links on them....Affilorama being one of them:-)

Thanks for all your help.

Boy, I sell sports products on Amazon and now finishing up our new e-commerce site, and do ok.....$500-$1,000/month net profit

This all seems so complicated...probably because I'm just not familiar with all the terms. I know it can be a good source of added income, I just need to learn all of it. Probably should sign up with Affiloblueprint:-)
nivram21
Trust:
I too have wonder how to get my blog to rank. There are some many tool and no way of relly knowing if they work well. So i just buy traffic and hope for the best.
PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
How is your website doing? Do you get a lot of traffic? uhavit.com

Do you have separate blogs promoting the same products?

Thanks

Jason
albertmorin
Trust:
@aletta, lots of good and informative advice! I feel that any serious endeavor should have it's own domain name and quality hosting. A blog or newsletter attached or linked to your website is always a plus in most cases. However, with that said, it takes time, money and or a network to "build an audience".
Albert Ivor Morin
Life Coach & Online Marketing Evangelist
PO Box 362
Hope, Idaho 83836 USA
(208) 266-1570
albertmorin@gmail.com
http://www.albertivormorin.com
Skype id: albertivormorin

This topic was started on Jul 25, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.