Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

feedback on refunds

ellatep
Trust:

feedback on refunds

I have recently made some sales and almost the same amount in refunds. Never had refunds before so I was a little shocked! Does anyone have any feedback on refunds and why all of sudden my sales went high and along with them a lot of refunds? Thanks so much
Cheers
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
There can be a lot of reasons for refunds. first of all, are they all the same product or spread out across various products? if they were all the same product, did they all get to the sales page through the same page? you can track this by setting up tracking IDs for your affililate links, this takes more time to do, but it helps you to see what is going on.

I generally set up a separate tracking Id and aff link for each page on my site, so that I can track sales and see which pages are converting well.

after you do that, you can look at specific tracking Id's in clickbank analytics and see where people are coming from, and if they are refunding from a specific page on your site. you might be sending people to a product with a promise that the product doesn't fulfill.

This is also one reason I don't promote products that I don't use myself. because I know the products really well, and I use the products themselves to create my content, I ensure that the product I promote does fulfill the promises that I make in my call to action.

Because I actually know the products that I promote really well, I generally have a really low refund rate, although sometimes I still get quite a few. Look at the over all refund rate for your products, and see over time how well it is doing.

One thing that I like to do with my review pages is break some of the hype and misconceptions that others are building around a product. For example, when AJP came out, and everyone (even Mark) was promoting it as a push putton, easy solution, I went into it telling people how much work they could expect to really need to do, and offered bonuses that would help ease some of that burden, rather than just throwing in some random stuff together just to have a bonus.

Another thing that I like to do is offer a bonus to people. I have these people opt in to a separate email list to download their bonuses, so that I can email them.

If I get a lot of refunds on a product that I promote, I can send out an email to that list asking for feedback, and then decide if I should drop the product, or maybe change the promotion strategy for a specific product that I am recommending.

hope these tips help. Refunds are a part of any business, and you have to learn to accept it, but by using effective tracking, you can see where the root cause is, and adjust your marketing accordingly.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

ellatep
Trust:
Thanks James for your lengthy and informative reply. I think it would be helpful to do some tracking. The refunds were mostly on the same product but I have done well on this product for a while so thats why I am puzzled? Anyway I will do some tracking to see if I can find a reasonable cause as you suggest - over-promising etc? Thank you again.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
might be, or it might be keywords too. look at what keywords you are getting traffic from. sometimes google will rank you for random stuff. some of these might still get someone to buy. also its a matter of timing,. you might go 6 months without a refund then get 5 this week. there are a lot of actors I would look at that I really don't have. for example, how many sales over all have you made vs how many refunds?

how many visitors are you getting through the sales page?

what is the niche? for example, the dating niche and get your ex back niche always seem to get a spike in sales around Valentines, with increased sales, there is an increased chance that people won't follow the instructions and will want a refund because they dont want to listen to what they are told to do.

ellatep
Trust:
Its the weight loss niche and I get most of my sales from the diet solution program and that is the one program I am getting the refunds from and have not before. I do buy all the programs I promote or ask for a copy from the owner so I know exactly what Im selling as an affiliate because I am wary of making false claims. My traffic and sales have been going up because i have been building more links. I remember you saying that you really needed to get your traffic up to 100-200 visitors a day to start seeing regular sales and thats what I have been working towards and I am finally achieving that with increased sales but now the refunds? Thanks so much for your feedback.
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
jmpruitt wrote: there are a lot of actors I would look at that I really don't have.

Would that be like Mel Gibson or Charlie Sheen? :D

(And yes, I know you meant "factors" ;)
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
yeh, sometimes I dont spend a lot of time proofreading my forum posts. lol.

ella, refunds happen, and there really isn't too much you can do about it. sometimes you get more than others. look at the over all sales you have made, and as long as your overall isn't too high, don't worry about it.

Also, I agree with doing the personal reviews. if others don't agree with your opinion thats fine, but as long as you stick to it, you will be fine. I have had products that others said were a scam, but I found really helpful. you see that a lot in the IM niche. I think part of it comes down to the expectations that people have. this is part o why I try to find those down sides to a product, point them out during my review and then offer a bonus that plugs the hole.

This topic was started on Mar 25, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.