Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Duplicate content thriving on Google SERPs...

tdigitty
Trust:

Duplicate content thriving on Google SERPs...

Alright...so I've read that having duplicate content doesn't necessarily hurt your site (doesn't get penalized). Google just chooses which piece of duplicate content is best for the results. Well...for my search term I come up as number 14 on Google, and the a**hole that stole my content (word for word - and stripped my links) is number 16.

So word for word duplicate content is on Google results for the #14 and #16 spots.

Too me, this means duplicate content can thrive on Google SERPs...Am I wrong?
PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
I think it depends a lot on how competitive the keyword is. If Google frankly doesn't have that many pages to choose from when it's giving you the search results, there is a higher chance that dup content will rank better.
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
also, dup content will aply to the same keywords.

I have used the same article on multiple sites targeting a different keyword for each one, and wound up with high rankings for all of them.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

chris72
Trust:
Oh now that is sneaky!

Same article but diff keywords....priceless!
Kick-Butt Writing Services http://rachaelmcnaught.com

Outstanding Quality PLR Packs http://niche-plr-products.com

Learn to be a Digital Writer http://thedigitalwriter.net/

tdigitty
Trust:
@cterao: That makes sense...and obviously none of us know what that threshold would be but here are some stats on the keyword...Just in case you were wondering :)

Competition (no quotes): 700K
Competition (with quotes): 18K
All in title: 6500
wollowra
Trust:
I agree with the comments above.
Google picks and chooses as they like.
I have seen duplicate content high on the serps but other duplicate content not even indexed.
Also, alot of times the duplicate content is ranked but then drops back down.
It sort of peeves me off that some people tend to get away with it while others get booted up the bum for it.

I have an offline client who got me to replicate a site but Google seems to deem it as a duplicate site even though we changed some keywords, alt text etc.. so we had to practically rewrite everything.
Ahh, you gotta love the Google dance..
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I don't normally do that myself, but i was testing to see what happened. I am always trying to test things for myself and see what works. I have had things that worked for me that others swear is a waste of time.

wollowra
Trust:
oops, Hope you didn't think I was talking about you James..lol
I was talking about those people that create hundreds of splogs etc...

:)
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
no, thats fine Troy.. lol

i was just stating that it isnt a normal practice for me. personally I like to spin my syndicated content, but that is for different reasons. i also never syndicate the articles on my main site.

Personally, i would hate reading an article, clicking a link to find the same article, even a well spun version. i figure my readers do as well.

Also, make sure you know where you are posting links.

as you are building up new sites, and getting into different niches, you can build links off your own pages.

of cours,e I have a resellers account, and all my domains are on a different IP adress, but one thing I have done is set up a subdomain with wp, a nice theme, and a few plugins. when spinning and syndicating articles, I post on these blogs as well. my main purpose with these is targeting super low keywords, and building up backlinks to my various niche sites. i Have a variety of articles and drip posts to all my different niche sites. I put adsense on them just on the off chance that They might get some clicks, and each one is targeting a different keyword.

This way, I am building links to my sites, but doing it on properties that I can control, and am not at the whims of some article directory that may disapear tomorow, or a social site that may change their rules and delete all my posts next week.

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
jmpruitt wrote:Personally, i would hate reading an article, clicking a link to find the same article, even a well spun version. i figure my readers do as well.

Of course, one way around this issue, though, is to link to a DIFFERENT page. The few articles I've put out so far that are reworked ones I've been linking to different pages on the site than the one that had similar content.

But I understand what you are getting at.

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

2bealive
Trust:
There are actually a couple of ways you can do an end run around on duplicate articles.

1... A Keyword domain name. ie:www.chemotherapycoloncancer.net
Use the domain name as your site title
Put that Keyword in the title or 1st paragraph of your spun articles. (You can use variations of the KW in following articles.

2... Get an article from a article directory and insert a video from YouTube right after the 1st paragraph. You can tailor the video to fit your site and article. I use the article from UAW (Unique Article Wizard) the articles are free and they are pretty good.

Currently the #2 method is working for me. You can't change any internal links but that's ok.
Here's an example of one of my sites.
http://www.residualincomeaffiliateprogram.biz/blog-affiliate-programs-info/
You Must Host Your Sites. Why Not Use The Best.
15 Dedicated IP Addresses - Unlimited Domains - Unlimited Bandwidth
I've Used IXHosting since 2004.
www.marketweb20.com/host

This topic was started on Jun 23, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.