Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Doubtful Full Time Income Affiliate Marketing

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:

Doubtful Full Time Income Affiliate Marketing

Hi guys,

I was working on a few websites a while ago and made about $200-300... But I've been on a holiday and just been busy over the last 3-4 months. I am now thinking of getting back into it and my dream is to basically have it going as a full time income within 3 years. It's a long time and that's my goal.

I was looking around the internet to get some motivation but I was disappointed. Lots of people were saying the following:

1) You won't succeed making large income websites if you're only making them to make money, rather you need to do it initially out of passion, and make them just for fun as a hobby. Eventually after many many months you can slowly monetize them.

2) Many people doing affiliate marketing will never make enough to supplement a full income. The guys who make big money online are the ones who are selling products/services. So they are selling either their own product or service rather than promoting other peoples. I thought about this and then realised many of the big marketers online have so many products of their own, as well as services. Just look at Mark Ling, he is selling many products right now. I do understand affiliate marketing is a good way to start but is there really any scope for growth at all?

3) I was reading many places that the top 5% of bloggers earn from 19k+ a year from their blogs... Considering the many bloggers out there, that sounds so tough to achieve. Supposedly it's after years and years.

Anyways, I was just reading all this stuff and it did the total opposite than motivate me. I'll be honest at the end of the day I want money from this. I want to do this as a business, and be able to have it to supplement my income. It's not a fun hobby on the side.

So I'm just looking to see and hope to see all the people who disagree with this? Anyone share some insight or personal experience?

Thanks guys!
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

kakaboo
Trust:
Hey that's totally not true at all. Even though I can't say that I am doing well and making a full time income from affiliate marketing alone, I have seen a lot of examples of people making a full time income purely from affiliate marketing.

It depends on what your idea of 'full time income' is in the first place. If you are talking about $2-4k/month, then it's definitely possible and there are a lot of case studies out there, you just have to look harder. If you are talking about $8k-$10k/mth of course that may be a little bit harder.

Look at people like Clayton and Jackson on this forum. They also started out with purely affilate marketing and are still doing so I think and are making close to at least 2k++/month or even more now. Like they always say, you see what you are looking for, if you are looking for something from a place of lack, you will find all sorts of evidence to prove your own point. But if you are looking from a place of abundance, you will definitely find a lot more extraordinary examples you would probably never even have thought of!

As for you only seeing Mark selling a lot of his own products, well, that's definitely not true. Ask any people around who have been in Affilorama long enough and they will be able to testify that Mark probably started out selling affiliate products before moving on to creating his own products. Before I found Affilorama, I was already on two or three of Mark's lists (non related to IM, he used pen names) and I only realized it after reading and learning on Affilorama.

That being said, once you have enough experience in affiliate marketing, it is of course still ultimately better to transit slowly over to creating your own products, as you have a lot of options and control over your own products than someone else's. Starting out with a bunch of affilate sites let you find out more about your niches and customers and the things they want.. which makes it a lot more easier to create your own products if you decide to so in the future. So, instead of thinking that you can't make big money from affiliate marketing, why not take it one step at a time? :)
Last edited by kakaboo on 13 Nov 10 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

beldin
Trust:
Hey...

Check out http://www.journeyofmyown.com/, Clayton took 5 sites, applied the principles learned at Affilorama over 1 year and is now earning over 2000/month in total from the sites. The theory goes... if you scale up you can multiple the rewards.

Personally I'm not there yet, but I work full time and have a family. Clayton had a little more motivation than I do, so when I am feeling blue about the prospects I review his site.
Stephen

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Guys! Thankyou so much!
I'm so glad that there are those stories out there, and I really do appreciate your responses, thankyou again.
So how are you two guys actually doing, and how long have you been at it?
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
It is possible. I make a full time income with affiliate sites,and I have been doing this for over a year. Mark worked for over 5 years purely as an affiliate before developing his own products.

There are a number of people here that I know doing it. Clayton, Jackson, Troy, Matt Carter, Myself, Jason, and countless other members here all started with Mark, and now we all make a full time living following what he teaches.

The thing is, most of the people who do make it work don't spend much time coming back here. Mark focusses Affilorama on helping newbies, so once people get past what he teaches, many people go on to other systems, and don't come back here as much, except those of us who either feel we owe it to the community to give back, or are in the IM niche ourselves.

but, don't expect to do it all yourself or with one or two sites. what you need to do is build up your sites and learn the basics. if you have been able to make money on one site, you should repeat what you are doing and keep going.
the real secret to ,making it a full time job is to outsource everything that you can.

If you can spend $5/month outsourcing something, then do it. I recommend to start with either articles or link building to start with. those are the two most time consuming.

it does depend on how much time and effort you put into it. I made a lot of sacrifices to get where I am, and I was desperate.

that seems to be a key factor with most of the really successful marketers I know. there was some level of desperation, where they had to buckle down and make it work.

the fact is, the reason most people don't make money is because they have the wrong mindset. they treat it like a hobby instead of a business, and so they make a hobby income.

I recommend following a system like Mark's affiloblueprint. once you get the basics, you can see what you want to do from there, but a simple system works.

Looking at your site in your sig file, it looks good. AB style. But, the make money online niche is really difficult to start out in. I would look into niche markets first to get your feet wet. Also, If you have AB, I recommend listening to the bonus recording on the IM niche. there are some great tips on picking out better keywords and other ways to boost your site faster.

One problem I see a lot is newbies trying to go into the IM niche and making themselves out to be an expert. there are two problems with this. One, they don't have any experience to back up their claims, and often the people they are targeting know more than they do. Two, it is hard to motivate people to do something that you have not done yourself.

If you follow what Mark teaches here, and work hard, you can do it. it takes some people longer than others to get it, but with time, it will start to make sense.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
Hey n0thsa,

I remember finding your website when I was first getting started in late 2009. I think you said you were making a few hundred a month or so back then. Believe it or not you helped motivate me back then!

Anyway, if you can make a few hundred dollars, then you can make a few thousand dollars. All you need to do is just up your efforts. Keep making websites until you find a niche that converts into lots sales for you, then focus all your energy on that niche.

Yeah, I only make like $2k a month, which I guess is only half of a full-time income. I've still got a ways to go myself. I guess that's why I've run away to Thailand for a few months where $2k will go a lot farther. Ha Ha!

Take everything you read from all those other forums with a grain of salt. Are the people discouraging you "successful" themselves? Or are they just trying to justify why they aren't making any money themselves? Don't get sucked into their pity party.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Thankyou again to all! Especially Clayton, wow mate haha im glad to see that I motivated you.
I'll tell you this... we're even now haha, because you just motivated me!
Thankyou all so much for the great insight, love it!

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Clayton I noticed on one of your other posts you didnt use PPC when you first started. I want to know if you now do PPC? Also was email marketing a thing you did at first? Cheers mate

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
I can't keep up with all the changes in PPC, so I don't use PPC. Plus I'm too poor to afford that stuff on a really big scale :) I've tried it here and there, but I just can't figure it out...

I have opt-in forms on some of my sites. I'm not really sure how effective my e-mail marketing is though since I do a pretty bad job of tracking my hop clicks. Note to self: start doing this when I get back home from Thailand!
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

faradina
Trust:
It's the same with me. I mean I am too poor to do PPC. And so I make do with good old SEO and email marketing to generate traffic for and make money from my sites.

It's not bringing in as much as I would like but then it's not so bad either. I know I could rake in more if I devote more time to work on my sites but I don't want it to be a grind. I would rather be happy and relaxed with less money than stressed out making more money.

Slowly but surely is how I do it :)
PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
nice nice thankyou both for sharing :)

jcdean
Trust:
I have been trying for 4 years.
A few months ago I finally started to make more than I was spending on hosting and members ships. Best month ever was $200.00

Here is what I know I did wrong, perhaps if you get this right it won't take to long to get things rolling.

I jumped around to much, PPC, SEO, PPV, Article marketing, Banner adds. I even spent a month trying to convince people top sell me their youtube accounts.

If I would have stuck to one method I think I would have been in high cotton by now.

I think the most important thing is to develop the mindset that you are going to do this no matter what happens, and how many set backs you have. Make an action plan with action steps and goals and stick to it.

I have no doubt that tens of thousands of people are making a living off the internet, and while millions try and fail.

I am going to be one of the few not the many.

I an not going to stop until I have my own private table at Hooters, sucking down the hot wings!
Respect,
J.C. Dean
http://KillYourDayjob.com

affiloblueprintpurchaselink
Trust:
jmpruitt wrote: Matt Carter, Myself, .... and ...other members here all started with Mark, and now we all make a full time living following what he teaches.

If a friend of mine can afford Affilioblueprint and wants to cut down on what he spends on courses, should he buy Mark's course instead of Matt's since Matt as you stated above learned much of what he knows from Mark?

What is in Matt's course that is not in Affiloblueprint?

Thanks, ABPL
esolutions
Trust:
AffiloblueprintPurchaseLink wrote:
jmpruitt wrote: Matt Carter, Myself, .... and ...other members here all started with Mark, and now we all make a full time living following what he teaches.

If a friend of mine can afford Affilioblueprint and wants to cut down on what he spends on courses, should he buy Mark's course instead of Matt's since Matt as you stated above learned much of what he knows from Mark?

What is in Matt's course that is not in Affiloblueprint?

Thanks, ABPL

Hi,

Matt Carter's new course focuses on physical products, how to find those that people are looking for and how to market to them. There may be some similarities, but there are also many key differences in the courses.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

elanam100
Trust:
I just caught this thread because it got bumped up, but I have some thoughts on the original topic...

I'm a newbie and just stated about 6 weeks ago. I've already gone through the roller coaster of "this is awesome, I'm going to be rich!" to "this sucks, I'll never succeed" and back again many times over.

In the end I think you have to MAKE A DECISION to keep going until you succeed no matter what. If you do that, how could you fail? I think the people who succeed in this business are not necessarily smarter or luckier or more talented than anyone else- they just KEPT GOING despite all the obstacles in their way.

Also don't let what other people say is or isn't possible discourage you. They may have good intentions, but they're speaking from their own limited experience. ANYTHING is possible - you really need to test for yourself rather than make assumptions that you can't accomplish something.
My psychiatry/psychology blog: www.thepsychosphere.com

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
@AffiloBlueprintPurchaselink, Matt's course focuses on teaching how to build product review sites rather than authority article sites. Actually a lot of what he teaches is how I do my AB style sites. Start off by focusing on the product specific keywords, and focus on getting those ranking, then add articles over time to build it into an authority site.

The main difference is that Matt teaches how to use physical products, which although they are usually lower commissions, can often get higher conversions than digital products.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
ElanaM100 wrote:I just caught this thread because it got bumped up, but I have some thoughts on the original topic...

I'm a newbie and just stated about 6 weeks ago. I've already gone through the roller coaster of "this is awesome, I'm going to be rich!" to "this sucks, I'll never succeed" and back again many times over.

In the end I think you have to MAKE A DECISION to keep going until you succeed no matter what. If you do that, how could you fail? I think the people who succeed in this business are not necessarily smarter or luckier or more talented than anyone else- they just KEPT GOING despite all the obstacles in their way.

Also don't let what other people say is or isn't possible discourage you. They may have good intentions, but they're speaking from their own limited experience. ANYTHING is possible - you really need to test for yourself rather than make assumptions that you can't accomplish something.

I love this post :) This is very good advice. Quitters never win and winners never quit. It takes a lot of strength and courage to keep on going even if you feel discouraged. It builds your character.
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

This topic was started on Nov 13, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.