Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Don't have Microsoft Word - alternative to view articles?

marymeagan
Trust:

Don't have Microsoft Word - alternative to view articles?

Hi guys

I thought I was home free for the moment when I finally got my first 3 articles sent from Elance.

Now a new problem has arose which I have been trying to figure out for the last 4 or 5 hours.

My articles where sent with a paper clip and when I opened them and each article appeared in Microsoft Word which I don't have on my computer and I couldn't copy and paste them. Each time I was in the Microsoft word site a pop up appeared asking me for a product key, so I went in search of this key and couldn't find it.

I tried to follow the installation instructions going to my control panel, and then I'm supposed to click on Add or Remove programs and this icon was no where to be found.

Is there another way I can retrieve my articles (to check for duplicate content and then start adding them to my web site) without going to all the trouble of installing Microsoft word.

Larry
Larry Bauge

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hi Larry,

You can download open office for free (www.openoffice.org) this is compatible with microsoft word and you can use it to open the files.

The other option is to request that the writer give you the articles in a different format (e.g. .txt format).

All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

marymeagan
Trust:
Mark your the "MAN"

I not only downloaded Open Office, but I also downloaded Filezila with Aletta's reminder in her solo Wordpress video.

I also sent a message to my writer to resend my 3 articles in text (I wish I thought of that) instead of word and the same for the rest of the articles.

Can I ask you one more question, how do I transfer the Microsoft word paper clipped email over to Open Office ? I played around trying to do it but couldn't figure it out (it probably won't matter if my writer resends my 3 articles in text but it would be nice to know)

I'm thrilled to have both downloads on my PC.

Larry
Larry Bauge

PremiumMember
graceharman
Trust:
If you right-click on the article attachments (paperclips), you should see an option to choose which program you open the documents with. Select Open Office.

Once the files are open you can then resave them as .odt instead of .doc.
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Larry,

You should be able to just open the file with Open
Office. Just remember to either copy and paste into where you want the text. Or you can resave, as Grace suggested, but I would resave as a plain text (.txt) file, which OOo can do.

(You can save as the odt if you want to use the native OOo format, but for IM purposes, it works better as a plain text file.)

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

This topic was started on Jan 02, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.