Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Domain names: choosing .info over .com

marymeagan
Trust:

Domain names: choosing .info over .com

This is a question I've always been a little embarrassed to ask but I figure you can't see me and I can't see you so what the heck LOL.

Why is it so important to have a relevant named Domain name .com ? and where do the people see it ?

Why can't I just use a cheap $1.99 info domain.

When people search for your keyword, they type your keyword into the search engine and your keyword pops up, not your domain name.

I have a vague idea of how it works like all your keyword phrases being categorized in the hosting site, with your domain name being the heading for all your related keywords......So why can't we just use a cheap info domain ?

All this talk about trying to get a .com because it is more popular, like I said Who see's it.

Can someone set me straight on how this works, and what would happen if I used a domain (dog training) and my keyword is (world of warcraft) what would happen ?

Larry
Last edited by michellerana on 22 Jan 10 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

Larry Bauge

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hey, there is nothing wrong with using a .info domain and you can go for it if you like.

I just prefer .com domains because they look more trustworthy to me. It's just a personal preference more than anything.

Google, or most other search engines, will treat a .info just the same as a .com. (if they do have a preference for .com over .info it is very insignificant).

If you plan on making your website into a brand someday (ie lets say you are building a big authority website, then a .com definitely makes more sense as they are easier for people to remember).

I hope that helps,

All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

marymeagan
Trust:
Thanks Mark

So what you are saying is that people do actually get to see your domain, I thought they only see your keyword phrase,or are you talking about the url address listed underneath your keyword when it comes up in the search engine, I didn't think people paid any attention to that.

Larry
Larry Bauge

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
A .com domain is always the best to use since it is the most popular and people are used to it. Though your domain name will not be seen in search engine results, those who wanted to return to your site would not go through the search engines anymore but will automatically type your domain name. People just find it easier to recall .com domains.

You might also find the comments on this thread helpful:
seo/domain-name-coventions-t2975.html
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

This topic was started on Jan 02, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.