Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Do you try out the products before you recommend them?

samb
Trust:

Do you try out the products before you recommend them?

Hi all,

I read a lot about choosing high commission products to promote which is fair enough. However, how many folks actually buy or get hold of the product to see if it is any good? Sorry if this is a simple question. I am new here and to AM. How do the product sellers react to requests for products to review or do you now generally have to buy them and put it down to Market Research costs?

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

Ed.

P.s I am getting my avatar sorted... I am not really female !!!! :)
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
HEY ED,

Personally, when i set up a new site, one of the first things I do is set up a product review table witth 4-5 products that I intend to promote. Then I check the affiliate members area to see if they have any instructions on recieving a review copy.

One thing that I find is that outside the IM niche, review copies are pretty easy to obtain. its harder within the IM niche, but if you build relationships with the product owners, as well as proving to make sales for them, you can often get some review copies of products coming out, especially during a prelaunch. but generally you need to get to know the product owners and prove to them that you can make sales of their product in order for that to work.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

samb
Trust:
Hi James,

Thanks for this... Really interesting and useful. More positive about getting reviews copies, especially as my niched is likely to be around music.

Thanks,

Ed
joshuas
Trust:
I do try the products I promote. There are times when I don't but in those instances they aren't really reviews but more of providing helpful information about a product.

I find that trying a product always gives a much better perspective about a product you want to promote and will translate to better conversion in my experience. Most of the product merchants I've contacted in the past have been happy to provide review copies as long as I can show that I'm serious about wanting to promote their product. Usually this means I show them the site I intend to post my review.

Generally I don't buy a product just to do a review on it. I tend to go for ones that I would use myself anyway but I guess you might consider that Marketing Costs.

Joshua
bluezen1014_612
Trust:
Hey Sam,

I like to get a review copy of their product so I can write an honest and genuine review for my readers.

I send the product owners an email requesting a copy of their product, telling them who I am, what my site is and what's it about... I've always gotten positive responses from them. I think product owners are more than happy to help their affiliates (since we are the backbone to their business)

Hope this helps:)
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Bluezen1014 wrote:Hey Sam,

I like to get a review copy of their product so I can write an honest and genuine review for my readers.

I send the product owners an email requesting a copy of their product, telling them who I am, what my site is and what's it about... I've always gotten positive responses from them. I think product owners are more than happy to help their affiliates (since we are the backbone to their business)

Hope this helps:)

I do the same. :)
Some vendors are unable to provide a free sample of the product, but they do give huge discounts to their affiliates. You can take advantage of those so you can review the products. If you don't want to dish out extra dough for it, you can just collate all reviews for the product and come up with your own. Still, you will be able to write a better review if you've tested it yourself.

@Ed - I'm sorry you're still having problems with the avatar. Have you tried uploading another image as avatar? That usually takes care of the issue.
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

jethro.aragon
Trust:
Sending an email to request for sample products is I think a good practice so that you can write an honest review about it. But sometimes, it's hard for them to send review products because, if you think about it, it's an extra cost on their end and for sure, it's not just you who's requesting one.

But what i noticed is that if your site already has the reputation of selling and have reviewed a number of other products already, most owners would be more than happy to provide you with some samples. It's all about reassurance on their end that you're really interested in reviewing and endorsing their product. They want to make sure that there's a really big chance for them to sell their products on your site.

If you can't get any sample products, just try to do some research about the product you want to review so that you would have an idea. When they see that you're actually converting sales, they might give you samples for their other products.

Just establish your site's competency and integrity, those samples will follow. I've heard of people getting sample products they didn't even requested because sellers trust them that much.

Good Luck!

Jethro
-Jethro-

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.”

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Generally, I recommend requesting review copies of digital products, which don't cost them anything to send.

Before ever requesting a review copy of a product, I always have at least 1 or 2 pages on my site already advertising their product, and include a link to those pages so that they see I am serious.

Also, it is much easier to get them if you are using a lot of social networking, and you engage the product owners on their social sites and blogs. By getting to know some of the product owners of various programs I promote, I have gotten review copies, even when they don't normally give them out. It all comes down to the relationships you build.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

This topic was started on Jul 05, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.