Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Dazed and confused

mytrustedreviewer
Trust:

Dazed and confused

My new years resolution was to turn my life around from wage slave living from paycheck to paycheck and to start actually well ..live!.
I should start from the the start: "Hi my name is Noel and i'm a failed affiliate marketer." They say the first step is to admit it to yourself. I work in a fairly low level IT job which to be honest takes up 20% of my time, the other 80% of my time was to use the pc i sit at everyday to make money for my family. Real money,set us free money. My dream was not for ferraris etc just to be able to spend time with my family and help my wife out more. She has enough to worry about as our son has severe autism without having to worry about the ever mounting bills that her so called provider husband was supposed to take care of.

So after a bit of internet research and rejecting Stuart Ross's promises I settled on Roasalind Gardener and bought her ebook. It did explain the basics(but I learned more from watching 6 videos for free here), I set up my website The Trusted Reviewer through weebly(wysiwyg website software i know and like) based on my interests in movies,tv shows,youtube & technology and set about filling it with contents and using google keywords and signing up to affiliates such as amazon, google affiliate.

Long story short it has been all to no avail and all I see is zero even with adsense.

Then while trying to sort out my keyword strategy I found traffic travis which led me to here. Maybe I'm a mug but people here seem quite genuine and Mark ling himself comes across as straight forward and genuine.

Here is my point, I want to get affiloblueprint as I think this would set me on the right path but tbh I'm flat broke and I can't justify telling my wife that I want to spend this money on something I can't guarantee will work(yes it's that bad).

What I'm hoping for is people reading this will look at my website www.thetrustedreviewer.com and tell me where i'm going wrong even just for adsense and I make $197 , i will reinvest it and buy affiloblueprint.

Sorry for such a long winded first post but I'm hanging my neck out and really hoping I can turn this around.

Thx for reading, Noel
len25
Trust:
Hi Noel

I wouldn't be in a position to advise you on your site as I'm fairly new to this too but I would suggest that you sign up for the trial of Affilorama Premium.

You get to check it out for a month for $1. Its full of info that will help you, especially if you stay focused on finding ways to improve the site you already have.

Best of luck

Lenny

p.s I'm a member of AffiloBlueprint and would highly recommend it too.
mytrustedreviewer
Trust:
Thx for the reply Lenny, basically I have invested in a website and I just want to see if by tweaking it a little I can gain some revenue and I will reinvest it to purchase affiloblueprint and get the ball rolling properly. Hoping some of the folks on here can give me a few pointers, obviously i am doing it incorrectly but hopefully I get some advice that can turn things around.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
hey, I know how frustrating it can be, and how hard it is to struggle from day to day.

It is difficult to face financial difficulties, and hope to make things better for yourself and your family. It is possible to make the kind of money you want, but IT WON"T HAPPEN OVERNIGHT!

one of the biggest mistakes I see most potential affiliate marketers making is thinking it works overnight.

Let's face it, with your current financial situation, you won't be able to use the fastest money making strategies (using paid advertising methods) that the AB course teaches. You will probably be starting off with doing all the work yourself.

There is no shame in that, in fact, many of us started out there, myself included. However, as a newbie, you can also expect to make mistakes on your journey ( I will get to a few of those specifically that I see right now in just a minute...)

This is all to let you know, you aren't a failure, you are just struggling. Personally, I don't believe you are a failure unless you quit and give up on your dream.
It does take TIME and EFFORT to build a business, and affiliate marketing is no different. Don't fall for the hype that tells you that you can make money this way in 30 days.

Okay, you CAN, but if you are like most newbies, you probably won't.

Why? because, like all of us when we started out, you will make mistakes that you don't even realize you are making. It took me over 6 months of working every day to see consistent sales, and it is still a struggle, 4 years later to maintain it. especially with constant changes in the rules to SEO, Social media, and the sites we use to generate traffic.

This isn't meant to discourage you. in fact, I want you to realize that the reason you aren't making money isn't really because you failed, its because you haven't learned enough yet, and you haven't given yourself enough time.

The affiloblueprint can give you the knowledge that you need, it was designed to help newbies like yourself avoid many of the pitfalls that stop people. However, it still will take some time and a little bit of testing on your part.

now, looking at your current site, I personally don't see it making sales very well to get yo what you need. Some of them you will have some control over, while others, maybe not.. here are just a few things I see with a quick review of your website:

you don't have a clearly defined niche!
Choosing your niche is one of the first and most important steps to a great affiliate site. you need to define what your site is about. just your domain alone is so general, I have no idea what your site is about, other than reviewing products, which sets up all kinds of red flags. "You want me to buy stuff, that's the only purpose of your site!" which instantly puts me on guard against any attempt at advertising.

you want to LESSEn the feeling of being hit by advertisments not strengthen it. your domain doesn't build trust. anyone who has to claim "Im a trusted reviewer" usually isn't, and it screams potential scam.

the other problem is your site is a hodgepodge of tech related reviews, videos, tv shows, book reviews, with no clearly defined customer.

there is an old saying in business "if everyone is your customer, you won't have any customers"
define exactly who your target customer is, what their specific problems that your site is designed to help them solve, and how you can help them solve their problem. remember. nobody is coming to your site to buy stuff, they are coming to your site to find a solution to a problem!
you have to connect with that, not just by saying it, but by making an emotional connection with them the minute they hit your site!

your site should focus on a specific topic. I generally recommend finding something you are personally experienced with. For example, your son has autism. I bet there are loads of other people there too. you could use your personal experience to help people become more aware of how to raise an autistic child, and I bet you could find products related to that, which would not only help your customers but it would also help your family as well.

I can't go into all the details of picking a niche in a short post (heck I am currently working on an ebook on that and its over 50 pages!) but the basics are find something that will hold your interest and that you would do whether it made money or not, then build your business around that.

if you want more info right away, check out the podcast in my signature ( I have over an hour and a half worth of free podcasts just on picking and researching your niche there...)

you also need helpful content on your site,not just reviews. I have made this mistake in the past myself, and it really doesn't work very well.

Google doesn't generally like these type of sites, and readers don't either. if you want to stay in the tech field, more clearly define what tech items you will review, and share articles with tips on how to use the items you are reviewing, maybe get some screen recording software (Camstudio is free and works pretty well to get started) and make tutorial videos that you post on youtube to drive traffic.

Web design is essential to your site working!

your color scheme specifically. I cant tell how good your articles are, because I can't read them! go with light background and dark text. you need contrasting colors between your background and text color. the scheme you have is really bad and makes it too hard to read. if people have to strain, they leave!

tech people are generally adsense savy, and they know how to spot and avoid them. also, unless you get really good at driving just the right people to your site, you can have all the ads you want, and never see a sale.

Give your site a clean navigation. You should have a link in your sidebar to your most recent content, where people can find tips and information. your content is there to build trust, not to make a sale.

the AB course teaches you a lot of this stuff in a lot more detail. All this is just a few things I found in about 5 minutes on your site, I could probably dig deeper, but I am throwing a lot at you already. also, I have no idea what your traffic strategy is, but if you are like many newbies I see, that could probably do with some tweaking as well.

the main thing here is DON"T give up! watch the free videos here at affilorama, forget everything you think you know, and as you watch each video, apply what it teaches. if you follow the free training, they will teach you enough to buy the AB course. (that's how I paid for it...)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
^ lol James, talk about long-form reply; you should turn that into a blog post somewhere :)
esolutions
Trust:
Hi Noel,

Keep your head up, get passionate, elevate your goals to something that excites you. Simply meeting the monthly expenses does not excite most enough to put in that extra effort required to really push through.

James gave you a ton of great advice, here's how to get started in really targeting one niche:

http://www.slideshare.net/mortsleam/und ... e-16165041
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
jonathan_l wrote:^ lol James, talk about long-form reply; you should turn that into a blog post somewhere :)

Already working on it LOL, actually, if you go through some of my old posts, this one was kind of short...

mytrustedreviewer
Trust:
James, Thank you so much for taking the time out for the plain talking common sense you have given me. My wife and I had recently discussed about all the things we have found out about my son's diet and how stuff like gluten can really affect his mood, focus and behaviour and how we should share it with struggling parents with a recent diagnosis, but I think I'll get the blueprint first to set me on the right path.
I'll admit here and now I was ready to quit but this has fired me up to go at it again. I'll definitely check out the podcast and roll up my sleeves and start again.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
your welcome. i know how it can feel overwhelming and frustrating at times. I still get overwhelmed by it all, and I have been doing it full time for almost 4 years now.

Just keep going, and do the best you can to get it going. The AB course got me started, although I don't strictly follow it anymore, because I have learned more advanced strategies.

However, without the core fundamentals that I learned in the AB course, and that I couldn't find anywhere else, I wouldn't still be here plugging away at it today.

I just recently went back into the course myself because I was having struggles with things, and I found that I was able to get right back on track following some of the updated training.

One reason I love the AB system is they are constantly working on it to keep it up to date with what is working NOW. so many programs focus on what worked for them years ago, and the way things work are constantly changing.

mark schaaf
Trust:
I agree with James on a lot of what he said as far as on page color. I had a site with a similar color scheme as you with a lighter shade of tan with a reddish brown type.

I had it up for a long time and got a lot of hits but most people didn't stay around for a long time. in the last couple of months I changed the background to white and the print to black and I have people staying around for 20 to 30 minutes it may be only one out of every 25 people who do this but it didn't happen before.

I still don't get a lot of sales but that is just another problem I have to work on because I can't figure everything out at once I have to do it one at a time.
Mark

tankctrlr
Trust:
I second looking into serving the "parenting autistic children" space, because many new parents are needing tips and guides on raising autistic children, plus you and your wife have valuable first hand knowledge and wisdom to provide the content.

So yeah, get the blueprint, make a site, add content, get visitors and start helping them.

Fixing A Broken Cheeseburger For An Autistic Girl
"27,000+ comments, more than 199,000 shares and more than a half a million likes."
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03 ... stic-girl/
Writing Services - www.needanarticle.com

This topic was started on Mar 23, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.