Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Curious: What do you think about my site?

mamagy
Trust:

Curious: What do you think about my site?

Hey all. I have put up a site, mostly doing all that I learned Affilorama free lessons. It's free-hosted for now since I'll try to start something out of nothing. In my country (Estonia) here is smaller community, forum where are people who earn money in Internet. There are very small amount of replies and most of them rubbish. So, I thought that I'll show my affiliate site here and ask opinions. So, everyone who bothers, please, honest opinion and any ideas are welcome.

My site: http://gettraffic.freeiz.com

I have constructed it for couple weeks, I'm not much of a designer, so I'll try to keep everything simple and tidy. I'm trying to promote my site through article marketing and participating some forums and blogs.
I chose Traffic niche because, like there is a saying, if your site doesn't have traffic, then it doesn't exist in Internet. So, topic should be quite hot?

I'm still afraid that it's something false, products are blah or something.

So, please, little help is needed right now.

Thanks!
MaMagy
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi MaMagy,

First off Congratulations on your first site! :) It looks good but an improvement on the overall look of the site won't be bad. Your articles are good enough but you might want to run through them. I noticed grammatical errors here and there.

I'm sure you'll be adding more content to the site. While you do, please get an eBook or report on your topic and offer it on your site to get subscribers. This will help get your site more "regular" viewers. Since you're into building traffic to one's site, you might also want to branch out into SEO amd marketing topics.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

mamagy
Trust:
Thanks Cecille!

This was really a motivating answer.

Yes, English isn't my native language, but I find writing easy, though. So, grammar is a thing I'll check over.

And yes, I'm planning to create more content, however, right now I'm working more on advertising. One problem is, that I recently found out how little I know about possibilities to promote my site in Internet.

About improving design... I have thought about that, since I'm not very good at it, I'll just leave it as it is until I'll manage to get considerable amount of daily visitors. I tend to overstrain things sometimes and I know, that certainly I will do it when I must do web design in a hurry. So, I'll just leave it for later, when I have a bit more time and less pressure to do it. I hope that overall look isn't totally terrifying the people?

I have been planning to buy AffiloBlueprint, but the thruth is, that I simply cannot afford it. As long I can't, Google will be my best friend :)

Overall, thanks for some good piece of advise, I appreciate it!

Sincerely
MaMagy
esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

In order to easily improve your design you could setup the site on Wordpress and install a free theme (which takes care of the design of the site). I would recommend Wordpress anyways for simplicity and saving time.

You will want to host as soon as possible because people are not as likely to trust a free hosted site.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi MaMagy,

You've got excellent suggestions from esolutions. I was to suggest the same thing but he beat me to it :)

As he has suggested, get your site hosted and register a domain. Most webhosts offer domain registration and hosting so you can get a package and save a bit that way.

There are various ways to drive traffic to your site and promote it. You can go over the articles below:

Forum Marketing Tips and Tricks
Link Building Tips Audio Interview

And don't forget we have lessons on SEO and Marketing that can give you further information.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
I'd also strongly suggest you set up an email opt-in form. You'll be much more likely to build a good relationship with your readers if you can keep in touch with them through email.

I know it can seem like a lot of work to add an newsletter to your website, but without one you have to just pray and hope that your visitors click through on your affiliate links and buy things. If you are promoting popular products, you run the risk of losing the commission to another affiliate that might cookie your visitors as they are doing research on the products or reading other websites.

However, if you build that email list, you can keep in touch with people over a long period of time. You can provide them with good content and then they will trust you more when making a purchasing decision.

Plus, in the future, you'll be able to leverage your email list for other things like product launches, webinars, and other JV opportunities. You wouldn't be able to do these sorts of things by just putting a banner ad or a text link on your website.

If there is one thing I truly regret putting off, it's building an email list. Do yourself a favor and get started as soon as you can!
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

mamagy
Trust:
Ok, I have been reading your comments again and again and I want to say thank you :)

I took some time to wander around forum and I see that Cecille is very active and helpful to anyone, so thanks to answering me too :)

Now, to address the comments one by one:

*Wordpress - I considered it, but someone suggested me to use XSitePro and since a friend from soft store had a spare license, I use it because it's quite handy and I'm kinda used to it already. It's static site but I can manage it almost like dynamic, because in XSP I continue editing where I finished last evening and I can upload content immediately when I finish it, no extra program needed for that. I use FileZilla just to add PHP redirect files.

*And yes, I'm looking forward to paid host and domain... Since I'm not working everyday right now (new year bureaucracy) I have come short of cash... But I think I'll do it soon.

*Thanks to Cecille again for pointing me to the lessons, I already found some things I had forgotten :)

*I am also working on ideas of E-mail form, since it's also paid service, It has to wait some time. But, I have come up a question- What do you suggest to opt-in- newsletter series, some free pdf giveaway, free trial access...? any other ideas?

I have one more worry though... What do you think about my niche - I have done research, numbers were pretty good in keywords, according to Google... And I know that anyone who has their own blog or site must face the issue of getting traffic... But I'm lacking of confidence in this area.

Is it worth going on or should I pick something more popular?

Thanks for your help!
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
The traffic niche is a really hot niche, but be careful as well. as a total newbie to internet marketing, you will find early on that most of your visitors will know more than you do, and it can hurt your ability to build trust early on. After all, how can you teach someone else how to do something that you can't do yourself?

The IM niche is really popular, which means more competition, and it can be cutthroat at times.
There are loads of Fake experts out there already trying to make a name for themselves teaching things that they don't know anything about. My best advice is to keep it real. you can do it from a newbie perspective and still make sales through it as an affiliate. Where most people go wrong is trying to pretend to be an expert when they aren't.

there are 3 major things that I see with your site that need to be improved in order to get more traffic going and build your own authority, especially if you are going to target the "how to get website traffic" niche. After all, if you don't practice what you are trying to teach, people won't trust you in this niche.

1, more content - this was said earlier, and I understand that you want to promote your site, but without enough content, people will see you only have a 5 page site, and will leave without ever reading what you say on your site.

People want content and a lot of it. having more content will help you keep the traffic that you send. Also, I find that sites with less than 30+ pages simply don't rank well in search. It will take time to build traffic to your site, and if you want to get some guest posts ( my biggest traffic source right now is guest posting on blogs) you will need at least 15-20 articles already on your site to even be considered by most descent blogs.

2. format your content- people don't like huge blocks of text. I generally try to keep my articles to 3-5 lines of text in a block. Otherwise, people will find it hard to read and will leave your site. people online will often browse through your articles and proper formating will help people navigate the content easier.

also, use bold, italics, line breaks and other formatting options to spice up your content. you can take a boring article and use formatting alone to make it stand out.

3 diversify your keywords. there are a lot of keywords on traffic generation and most of them don't have "website traffic" in them. The more you know your niche, the easier it will be to pick out better keywords. look at specific traffic tactics, and find the keywords for those.

on top of that, most of the people coming to your site will see you are on free hosting and will run away. think about this, if you can't make enough from your own site to pay for webhosting and your own domain, why should people trust you to help them with their websites?

Everything you do needs to be looked at from the customer's point of view. You can do it, and you have a good start. Keep it up.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

mamagy
Trust:
Thanks jmpruitt!

Only thing I cannot put in practice right now is paid host and domain. Have to do what I can with what I have for now.
I read your answer and thought like: "Cheesh... do people really think that much :D" But yeah, you're right. I have forgot a bit to think things through customer's viewpoint.

Now, I made a system after your post- At morning I check out what's new in Google alerts, share some posts where it's OK and then I'll try to write at least one new article. I actually love to write, it comes kinda naturally.
I really don't want to give up promotion right now, while I think that I'm on right track. I still don't see much traffic in Analytics. But that may just be that I have tracking code only in main page, I think I should add it to every one, because I'm not always referring to main page, I try to add link what's most relevant in topic I'm posting.

Anyways, I'll try to work through every article to make them more attractive. I'll try to format them so I don't have anymore sentences with million commas and hundred thoughts in one.

About keywords- What research tool to use? I had Market Samurai trial but it's expired now... Traffic Travis new version is somehow uncomfortable... Is Google's external keyword tool adequate enough?

I'm very grateful to anyone who are helping. I see that here's very warm and welcoming community here :)

Hope that one day I can be just as much help for someone as people are for me right now!
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
personally, I use a combination of the Google KW tool and traffic travis for all my keyword research data.

I can understand how difficult it can be. I would recommend checking out this interview I did with Josh (another Affilorama member) a few months ago, where I discussed some of my own financial difficulties when I started, and how I turned it around.

affiliate-hangout/exclusive-interview-with-james-pruitt-t12898.html

If you like writing, you may consider doing some freelance writing through the Affilorama Services Section. There are always people needing fresh content, and if you do just a few articles per month it would at least pay for website hosting and your own domain.

I always go by the rule that if you really want to do something, you can find a way. Don't ever let "I can't afford it" get in the way of your success.

Also, I am not saying to give up on promotion. However, you really won't see any good results until you have a lot of good content started. I would get at least 15-20 articles online ASAP, and then worry about promoting them one or two pages at a time.

mamagy
Trust:
Hmm.. some freelance writing wouldn't do bad... but I guess that since my English isn't that good.. I don't know. Regarding of my site's articles (if I'd put some more work in them), would I had a chance? Writing some articles, even pretty cheap ones would be a nice solution to invest to hosting and domain indeed :)

Thanks for encouraging :)
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
There is room for improvement, but I have also seen writers who are making a lot of money that are alot worse than you.

Also, writing was just an example. there are loads of things you could do a s a freelancer. you could create graphics, banners, and images. you could do html coding (if you know how to do that stuff), you couldbuild links, you could make social media posts, etc.... there are loads of things you could do. head over to http://www.fiverr.com, and you can find hundreds of ideas for low cost services that people are willing to pay for. just selling a few per month would pay for your webhosting.

This topic was started on Jan 07, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.