Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Credit Card Fraud

PremiumMember
catmar
Trust:

Credit Card Fraud

I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.

I only use this one particular credit card for Hostgator, Name cheap and Go Daddy, but recently I had all these fraudulent transactions on the card so the bank closed it and issued me with a new one. It's going through a dispute process now, yay!!

In the meantime I changed my credit card details with Hostgator and Namecheap to another credit card I have with a different bank but never use. Again this new credit card has been used for all these overseas transactions that aren't mine. So this has happened two times in a row. I have antivirus software and don't use this credit card for anything else and there's no way anyone could have acquired my number.

It makes me hesitant to give my new credit card number (whenever I get that) to anyone over the net again but I will have to in order to pay for my hosting?

Has anything like this happened to you guys before??
slvrsrfr
Trust:
This hasn't happened to me. The first thing I'd check for is to determine how strong your passwords are at these sites (Hostgator, GoDaddy etc.)

If your passwords are weak that might be your vulnerability. Also send inquiries to those companies to see if they have any insight into what might be going on.

Seems like someone has usurped your identity. So be careful with that.

Check out password generator to see how easy it is to develop strong passwords.

Hope this helps and good luck with that,

Jason
faradina
Trust:
It would be a very good idea to use paypal as nobody would then be able to see your credit card details.
Or you could use virtual credit cards that expire in one to two months. These cards can be loaded with only the exact amount that you need for a transaction.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
I've never had any issues either, and I sprinkle credit card love around the internet reasonably often.

My parents recently got stung for $400 though: Not quite sure how it happened, but they'd given away their ISP password to one of those phishing scams. The scammers didn't know their full credit card details though... but they did know the secret squirrel code on the back.

It was a little creepy. I got to change my parents' passwords to something other than the name of a cat :)
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

wollowra
Trust:
If this has happened to 2 cards then you most likely have keylogger spyware on your computer. I have been on the net for 11 years and I have never had this happen to me because I am careful about using my passwords.
I use roboform, so I never manually enter in a password with the keyboard.
I will never let windows auto save my passwords either. If you have windows pop up and say do you want to save this password for later, say no.
Make sure you have a good anti virus program on your PC ( Please don't choose Norton..YUK)
I also have a debit card ( Not a credit card ) for all online transactions and I only ever keep a small amount in the account and if I need more, I just transfer funds to it. That way, if by chance someone gets my card numbers etc.. they will not get much.

Anyway.. sorry this has happened to you.. it sucks.
I had my brief case stolen from my office one day by a thief so I know how it feels to have money stolen.
Ironic though.. I feel my money is safer online than in my briefcase.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

3vvisa
Trust:
Hey guys!
All banks are now addressing this problem of identity theft and hacked credit cards by offering prepaid credit cards. For instance, 3V Visa is Canada's first prepaid Visa voucher, allows you to shop *securely* online anywhere Visa is accepted.
Check us out:
http://3vcash.nowprepay.com
protrader
Trust:
Still great news knowing that it is on dispute and the bank took care of it-initiating you with new cards.
I think banks now are finding ways to eliminate those instances. However, I don't think there is a way to get 100% fraud protected-but you can try minimizing the occurrence, such as following what the others have suggested.
PremiumMember
catmar
Trust:
Thanks everyone for your replies. Unfortunately I do have Nortons but have since changed as they are obviously useless and I'm in the process of changing my passwords (thanks Troy will use Roboform). I think the debit card idea is a good one along with PayPal as this whole episode has really put me off ever using a credit card online again.

Cheers,
Catherine
PremiumMember
catmar
Trust:
Just thought I'd mention that I found a great free add-on available from Firefox. It's called Key Scrambler Personal https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3383
KeyScrambler Personal encrypts your keystrokes at the kernel driver level to protect your information from keyloggers.
I've been using it for the past few days for added protection along with my anti virus and firewall and it's been great.
daisymax
Trust:
From a credit card generator site in lower purchase Internet.From unscrupulous, holding the credit card numbers processed by a sale and use of foamed unlawfully.From criminals who use machines to record several numbers credit card retail shopping outlets.From threw copies of the credit card purchase hacking receptacles.From waste estimates that credit card numbers are stored.
credit debt relief

This topic was started on Apr 23, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.