Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Compensation for content question...

ageefess
Trust:

Compensation for content question...

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this one. An acquaintance of mine wrote a substantial book on conquering Depression. It's a solid book, in conversational, easy to ready format -- full of great content (years full of content, in my opinion). My initial thought was that this could be made into an audio product and sold on Clickbank via affiliates, including myself. When I approached him about it, he was intrigued with the idea and he wants to talk more -- his book had come out a couple years ago, and sales have been mild.

But then I checked the Clickbank marketplace and I see that there seem to be a number of good products related to conquering depression, many have 75% sale to the affiliate. So it occurred to me to instead use the great content in his book as the base material for the sales of the existing affiliate products: for use on a website, newsletter, blog, etc. since quality content does seem to be a substantial problem of most affiliates.

My question is this: what would be a fair compensation to him for the use of his material (and is a "split" the way to go)? And would that compensation change if we were talking about producing a product based on that book?
peria1949
Trust:
Compensation is something that only the author can tell.The reason is that any creative work involves passion.Lots of it ,the value of which Only the author can tell.

Why don't you contact the author concerned for his or her opinion?
ageefess
Trust:
Understood. In this case, the author is my acquaintance and trusts me. Anyone have a rule of thumb in this case?
peria1949
Trust:
If it is so then it reinforces my point all the more.

Please talk to him.Tell him or her your dilemma.

I am sure you will get the right solution for your problem that satisfies you and your trusting friend leading to more robust relationship.

I think the only rule of thumb is preservation and nurturing of relationships are more important than earning money.
ageefess
Trust:
Thank you. Any other thoughts from other forum members?
wahprofitscom
Trust:
As you are obviously very impressed with your acquaintances work, i would suggest sticking with your original plan. a product offering 75% commission on clickbank has, I suggest, is probably not as good a quality a product. High commission levels suggest to me that they are having trouble finding affiliates based on quality, so they make returns more attractive instead.
How about 50/50 split with the author at 50% commission. How about an ebook with an audio upsell?
Andy
All you need for IM Success - www.WAHProfits.com

ageefess
Trust:
If we produce a product, I like the idea of an ebook with an audio upsell. Good thought.

75% toward the affiliate seems to be the norm these days, wouldn't you say? My research shows over 2/5 of the products on Clickbank that relate to depression are at 75%. From what I can see, the percentage isn't the best indicator of quality -- and maybe actually be the opposite.

If we found the right product (or two) to promote and it sold for $100, then at 75%, $75 would come our way. At 50% split, each sale would be $37.50 for each of us. That is without sitting down in a studio and recording and mastering 14.5 hours of quality audio. It's a way to basically start out of the gate much quicker while we're getting our act together with the product itself, that could take some time. When we do finish the product, it will mean that other affiliates who sell the product will take the lion share, and we'll be left with $25 per sale. And that's not just OK, that's good. It'll be great incentive for affiliates to sell our product.
wahprofitscom
Trust:
You may well be right re: commission level not being indicative of quality. I am applying what I have found with advertising service sites, which may not apply to ebooks. Maybe buying one or two of the other depression ebooks yourself might pay off in research (not a bad idea anyway if going to promote them, especially when tying the content of own (future) product to that promotion.
Can see, also, merit of creating the content pages as you describe. Will much easier to later convert these into sales pages for own product. Kind of 'to read full version....' kind of pages.
Andy
All you need for IM Success - www.WAHProfits.com

adam.kent
Trust:
A one time payment might favor you best, but it won't really compensate the author as you will be earning off his content time and again in the future. The author took time to do all the research and writing, so he should be able to benefit from this idea too, so maybe a long term split of profits would be a more fair and justified way to go.
---
Adam Kent - Social Media Manager at http://jarvee.com/

"The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker

This topic was started on Nov 01, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.