Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Cleaning or Scrubbing an existing list

kjkn1
Trust:

Cleaning or Scrubbing an existing list

I have an e-mail list with over 250,000 names of people who are interested in business opportunities. They are not double opt-in leads, but have been acquired from a variety of sites, to include request for information forms as well as lead gathering brokers. My goal here is to ramp up as quickly as possible so I can convert some of these information seekers into buyers.
1. Can anyone recommend a scrubbing program for this data base so I can clean up broken links, remove bad addresses, etc. I know I can pay companies thousands of dollars to do this but is there something available for free (i.e. -- a shareware program), or at least reasonably inexpensive? I also, know companies like AWeber (which I plan to use) will manage my list once names have opted in through their system, however, they will not allow me to upload my own list.
2. Once my data base is clean is there a mailer program that can insure my mails end up in the inbox as opposed to junk? There is a company called Good Mail ... http://www.goodmailsystems.com ... that is excellent, however, at this stage of the game they are too expensive.
Thanks
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
only thing I would do with that list is send 1 email to an opt in for an aweber list. if they take it they do, if they dont/ delete them forever. you are asking for trouble with that kind of list,and it isnt worth it. the reason Awebr wont allow it is because it is a list full of people who are potential spam complaints. that is the only way to clean that list. if you wont do that, delete the list and start a proper one. we dont advocate buying a list or using poor marketing tactics here.

I would say witha n opt in, if you do it right,a nd send a well wrtten invitation, offering a free book on their topic or something valuable to them, you should get at least a few hundred people onto a double opt in list.

500 people on a double opt in list is more valuable to you than 200,000 potential spam complaints.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

kjkn1
Trust:
James,
We are on the same page here. That's exactly what I want to do ... that is, send one email to the list so they can opt in to an Aweber list. Hence my two questions. 1. How can I remove possible dups, broken links, or bad links before I do my initial mailer? 2. What type of SMTP server or mailer program can you recommend that will allow me to upload my list, and then send the mail as a trusted sender so that it ends up in the recipient's inbox and not their junk/spam folder? I appreciate any help you can provide.
Thanks
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
ahhhh.... ok, didnt understand. I have no idea. i have never messed with that kind of thing myself. all of my lists have come from promoting my own squeeze pages
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

tdigitty
Trust:
I would import the list into excel and remove the duplicates. Search "excel remove duplicates". As far as broken links...shouldn't matter cause no one will receive them anyway.

I would set up SugarCRM on a new host. Set up an email campaign and send them out very slowly. This can be done automatically within the program using cron jobs.

This topic was started on Aug 18, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.