Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

CHOOSING DOMAIN NAME

litron
Trust:

CHOOSING DOMAIN NAME

Hi all, been kinda curiious about choosing my domain name. I've seen in other programs that some people suggest doing keyword searches first - finding a high volume keyword phrase and then (hopefully) finding the .com or .net for that keyworkd phrase. e.g. HighVolumeKeyword.com or ....net. Any suggestions?
Also, I've found some interesting ".co's" - meaning decent search volume for the keyword phrase - but are .co's worth the money?
Does Google hinder or impede the ranking of .co's? I don't recall ever seeing a .co in the top 10 list of my search terms. Again, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
R
easyrider
Trust:
It can be good to include the keyword in the domain if you are planning on doing a small affiliate site, but the benefits for ranking in Google for an exact match domain are reportedly not what they used to be. Remember also that you will have many keywords you want to rank for and not just one.

Personally I think it is a good idea to go half and half. That is, include a major keyword in the domain WITH something that is more brandable. For example, if your major keyword is: build muscle, try a domain like: buildmusclefast.com or musclebuildingheaven.com.

In regard to your question about top level domains (TLD), Google apparently treats them all equally, apart from favouring the ones that are targetted to the country you are trying to rank for. What this means is that .com, .net. and .org etc will all rank the same in google.com (all other things being equal). However, a New Zealand domain .co.nz will be better for ranking in google.co.nz.

But it is better to get a .com TLD, because the other ones will not look as authoritative to the people searching. And there is a chance that they might not trust an unfamiliar TLD like a .co (which is for Columbia!!!)
Greg

litron
Trust:
easyrider wrote:...But it is better to get a .com TLD, because the other ones will not look as authoritative to the people searching. And there is a chance that they might not trust an unfamiliar TLD like a .co (which is for Columbia!!!)

Thanks for the info! Very informative! I wasn't aware that the .co was originally for Columbia... GoDaddy touts the extension as having international appeal and could stand for COmpany, COmmerce, etc... My impression was that many of the .coms and .nets were taken so the the extension was created to open up some domain name real-estate, it was supposed to the next best thing to a .com or .net - although I don't think it ever really caught on (at least not yet). The .com is definitely better, assuming it's available. Thanks for the prompt reply :)
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Note that "buildmusclefast.com" does not contain very useful keywords. A Google search on "buildmusclefast" got me 1,060,000 returns. A Google search on "build muscle fast" got me 11,100,000 results.

That's because "buildmusclefast" is not a word (e.g. not in the dictionary). The keyword version of "buildmusclefast.com" is "build-muscle-fast.com". I usually buy 2 domain names for a site (if not also the .net and .org versions to stop others from using them). I get hyphenated version(s) as the primary domain name for the site, email, etc. and also non-hyphenated version(s) which are parked and pointed at the hyphenated ones.

My thinking is this: The hyphenated versions are better for SEO (though, as Greg points out, probably not as valuable as they used to be). The non-hyphenated version is for people, as they often forget about, or perhaps mistrust the hyphens.

As far as the scarcity of *.com domains - you just have to be very creative and persistent in coming up with names that are still available. I've been known to look through every page of the dictionary for words which sound good with my key word to create never before seen domain names. For example, that's how I arrived at my http://www.art-head-start.com domain name (I should have used a "rhyming dictionary", like a song writer would)..

There are also software tools which will generate various combinations of "seed" words you enter - there is such a tool right here at Affilorama (but I don't remember the name of it)

Hope this helps
_jim coe

This topic was started on Jun 09, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.