Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Changing WP theme to Twenty Eleven

covenantguy
Trust:

Changing WP theme to Twenty Eleven

Hi

I just changed one of my WP themes on my old sites to the Twenty Eleven theme. I lost all my widgets from the Home page sidebar even though they still appear in the Widgets settings within the dashboard.

Does anyone have any experience with this theme or WP generally? Should I delete all my widgets from the Dashboard Widget settings (copying any codes I need first) and then activate, say, the Twenty Ten theme and adding the widgets "as new"?

Would that cause them then to display in teh sidebar.??
http://johnreason.com/recommends.php?linkid=Affiloblueprint
Build a Successful Website in 12 Weeks.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
This happens whenever you change themes. Wordpress automatically resets the widgets, but it saves them at the bottom of the page.

Sometimes this happens when they do a major update too, so anytime you update WP, or make any major changes to your theme, you should check your plugins and widgets to make sure they are all still working.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

covenantguy
Trust:
Thanks James

What I found out was that this theme has something called "showcase Widgets" and a "showcase" page. You have to set your original static home page as your "showcase" page in Reader Settings (after making it a "showcase page" in the Admin . Then you find that all the posts appear at the end of it with the Sidebar widgets displaying alongside that list of sequential posts. They do not display opposite the static Showcase page-which is annoying. I don't know if that's normal or not . Also when you click on a blog from that lower down slide bar yo get the post with no Sidebar widgets showing. Agian, I don't know if that's a good thing or not. It won't affect my historic links from Ezine etc and other websites, but am wondering as to whetehr it makes a good visual impact
http://johnreason.com/recommends.php?linkid=Affiloblueprint
Build a Successful Website in 12 Weeks.

evilla.drazen
Trust:
I guess that is the usual thing that happens each time you change themes in WordPress. I once managed a WordPress site and I hate it when WP resets all my widgets. But I think that's how WP was designed. You can restore them manually anyway. After all, it's still there in the Widget Settings.

This topic was started on Aug 27, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.