Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Changing the margin settings in XsitePro

marketer
Trust:

Changing the margin settings in XsitePro

Hello Everyone,

A couple things I'm not understanding and would appreciate some help. When I'm in page layout mode I can see my links to my pages in the left navigation panel but to the right in the main page what I'm seeing is the default page that was placed there by Xitepro. Where is my page? Why isn't my page showing?

The following is taken from that page:

"Here's an example of what a typical page will look like
PLEASE NOTE: This page will not appear on your site. It is just an example that reflects the changes you make on the Page Layout tab"

I'm also having an issue with the text on my page butting up against the left hand column and I can't get it to move away form the margin??

I go into main panel - under size & padding I change the padding to different values but my text is still butting up against the margin, it doesn't move no matter what values I put in??

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Marketer
wollowra
Trust:
Marketer wrote:Hello Everyone,

A couple things I'm not understanding and would appreciate some help. When I'm in page layout mode I can see my links to my pages in the left navigation panel but to the right in the main page what I'm seeing is the default page that was placed there by Xitepro. Where is my page? Why isn't my page showing?

The following is taken from that page:

"Here's an example of what a typical page will look like
PLEASE NOTE: This page will not appear on your site. It is just an example that reflects the changes you make on the Page Layout tab"

I'm also having an issue with the text on my page butting up against the left hand column and I can't get it to move away form the margin??

I go into main panel - under size & padding I change the padding to different values but my text is still butting up against the margin, it doesn't move no matter what values I put in??

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Marketer

Hi Marketer,
We need more info here as not sure exactly what your seeing...
You said "but to the right in the main page what I'm seeing is the default page that was placed there by Xitepro."
Can you elaborate on this more or do a screen shot so we can see?

As for the text padding that should work, not sure why you are getting that unless you have some custom scripts in your page to change the padding etc.. Are you using an xsitepro template?

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

backhoe48
Trust:
What you need to do is click on the "web pages" tab on the top of the page. Then click on "add page" on the left and then "design" This will open a basic text editing page similar to word.
You will still be able to see the pages you have created on the left.
When you have finished with that page it's a good idea to get into the habit of clicking save at the bottom. You can always go back to it later by clicking on web pages again and re-selecting that page and go back to design again. Hope this helps a bit.
Sean
marketer
Trust:
Hello Wollowra,
We need more info here as not sure exactly what your seeing...
You said "but to the right in the main page what I'm seeing is the default page that was placed there by Xitepro.
Can you elaborate on this more or do a screen shot so we can see?

I wish I could send you a screen shot except I don't know how to do that? If you can describe the process I would be happy to give you one.

Let me see if I can explain myself a little better.

You know how in word pres when you open it for the first time there is a default post called Hello world, well, in the Xitepro template that I'm using there is a default page which says at the top of the page in page layout view:

"Here's an example of what a typical page will look like PLEASE NOTE: This page will not appear on your site. It is just an example that reflects the changes you make on the Page Layout tab"

so, what I'm trying to understand is, when I'm in page layout view why isn't my page which is checked under web pages - pages settings to be my home page, why isn't my home page showing in page layout view instead of this default page.

The link to my page is showing in my navigation bar. That's another question I have. When I click on the link to my home page in the navigation bar I get the following dialog box.

"This is just a preview of your page layout. The navigation of this page has been disabled"

I didn't disable it? How do I enable it? Is it because my site isn't published yet?

As for the text padding that should work, not sure why you are getting that unless you have some custom scripts in your page to change the padding etc.. Are you using an xsitepro template?

No, I don't have any custom scripts in my page, at least I don't think I have? I say that because I'm not sure what you mean by "custom scripts"?

Yes, I'm using a Xitepro template.

Hi Backhoe48,
I'm not having a problem with creating the pages, that is already done as you described. My issue is why isn't it showing as my home page in page layout view.
wollowra
Trust:
Ok, Let's tackle this one little step at a time..
Don't worry about the screen shot as I think I know what your problem is.
The reason your seeing the default page is because you have designed the page content yet.
Go to WEB PAGES then.. DESIGN..
Do you see the default page text OR A BLANK page?
If you do, then you need to put some Text and/or picture content in etc.

Click on the Home page Tab on the left WHILE you are in the DESIGN tab.
In the main text area put some TEXT in there..
Put something like "This is just a test"
Then SAVE at bottom right.
Now on the left bottom go to PREVIEW.
It will open a page with a preview of your site.

Also, Make sure in the PAGE SETTINGS tab under WEBPAGES that your page is ticked to show in the left menu.

Do this and report back.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

marketer
Trust:
Hi Wollora,

When I go to WEB PAGES then... DESIGN what I see is the first article that I uploaded. It is designated as my Home Page and it is designated to show in the LEFT NAVIGATION.

When I go to PAGE LAYOUT the first link in the left navigation panel is the title of my article that I uploaded and designated as HOME PAGE.

Everything is as it should be with the major exception of this Xitepro default page showing in place of my home page article. As I've said this is what doesn't make any sense to me based on the fact that I've done what I'm supposed to do as far as setting up the page.

When I go to preview I see my article, however, it's the view you would see if you click the source view in your browser??

When I click on preview I get the following message:
You have the default extension of lyour site set to PHP. This may cause your site not to preview on lyour local machine, as PHP files require a PHP configured server to display correctly.

Do you still want to preview?
Click "yes" to preview, or "no" to cancel

Now, in one of the lessons, I don't remember which Mark told us to change our page settings from the default .html to .php. I'm not sure if that's the reason why I get this message and why I'm seeing the soure view when I click preview??

marketer
wollowra
Trust:
I think you just answered your own question...lol

Change your pages to HTML.
go to OTHER then Webpage settings.
In the second tab... you can change it to html.

Let us know if this is the problem.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

marketer
Trust:
Hello Wollowra,
Well, I went and changed the .php extensions back to .html. I'm no longer getting the following message:

You have the default extension of lyour site set to PHP. This may cause your site not to preview on lyour local machine, as PHP files require a PHP configured server to display correctly.

Do you still want to preview?
Click "yes" to preview, or "no" to cancel

and when I click on preview I get a "normal" preview screen not a source code view.

However, like I said I was just following Mark's instructions. Now I'm wondering if he meant to say when you are ready to upload your site to your server change the extensions. That's not what he said but maybe that's what he meant.

Anyway, that being done I still have the Xitepro default page showing where my home page article should be showing so that problem hasn't been solved by changing the extensions??

Marketer
wollowra
Trust:
If you are seeing the default page text, in the DESIGN menu then your article has not been edited to show on the screen.
You have not put your article text in as you are seeing the default text.

Go to WEB PAGES then.. DESIGN..
Do you see the default page text ?
If you do, then you need to change it to your article.

Click on the Home page Tab on the left WHILE you are in the DESIGN tab.
Delete the default text.
Then, In the main text area put some TEXT in there..
Put something like "This is just a test"
Then SAVE at bottom right.

Make sure you have ticked the box to say you want that page showing on the left menu and published
Now on the left bottom go to PREVIEW.
It will open a page with a preview of your site.

Troy

-- Robert Brault

marketer
Trust:
Hi wollowra,

When I got to WEB PAGES then......DESIGN I see my article. If I go to page settings the box to designate it as my home page is checked. The box to have it show in the left navigation menu bar is checked and yes it shows in my left hand navigation bar it's first on the list when you go to PAGE LAYOUT. The box to have it show in my footer is checked and yes it does show in my footer. Everything is as it should be with the exception of this default page showing where it's not supposed to be showing i.e. in place of my article.

When I click the preview button my article shows up.

I don't get it??

Keith
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Keith,
Now I am confused...lol
OK, we solved the .php problem.
Now, If you are seeing your article in the DESIGN tab as you said above, then GREAT.
That's how it should be.

But what is confusing me is when you say...
"default page showing where it's not supposed to be showing i.e. in place of my article." ??

OK, do a screen shot for me plz...
1. Open xsitepro and go to the exact page you want to copy.
On your PC keyboard... you should have a PRINT SCREEN button at the top of the keyboard...
It may also say PR SCR or similar.

2. Go to START on the bottom left of your screen
Click on PROGRAMS then ACCESSORIES then PAINT.

3. When Paint is open go to EDIT at the top.. then PASTE.

You should now see the screen you want to save.

4. Go to FILE at the top left... then SAVE AS.

5. A screen will open up asking you to save it... choose JPG from the drop down menu.
If you can not find JPG.. just save it as it is to your desktop or somewhere on your PC so you can send it to me.

Once you have done this Private message me and I will give you my email addy to send it to me so I can see what you are seeing.
I know this is probably long winded for you but its the only way I can see what you are seeing and where you are seeing a problem.
Unless someone else wants to help as well..
Regards
Troy

P.S You will or should learn to do a screen shot above anyway as it comes in handy for internet Marketing.

-- Robert Brault

wollowra
Trust:
Hi Guys,
Keith is fine now.
It seems he had the IGNORE PAGE SETTINGS tab checked and it threw out the other pages.
( Under Page settings there is an advance link at the bottom of the page)
Just thought I would post here so others can have a solution if they have the same problem.
Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

This topic was started on May 31, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.