Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Buying header-photo -- Newbie question

skela3
Trust:

Buying header-photo -- Newbie question

Hi! So I want to get a professional-looking header for my wordpress site. Most photo-sites offer several sizes for the photo you want, and then they offer something like "Extended License" which is usually a lot more expensive.

Extended License: "Allows you to use this image on merchandise for sale or in web templates."
(http://www.bigstockphoto.com/image-2906 ... f-the-hook)

Does this mean that if I'm going to use the image as a website header, I need an extended license? (I'm thinking of the "or in web templates" part of the quote).

Also, is there a better way to find good headers? Since most headers are something like 1200x200 pixels, and I haven't found a way to filter the search or find images meant specifically for headers.

Thanks!
nates450r
Trust:
i personally use xheader (paid version) its a great program with tons of templents, i usualy dont use a stock header from the program but rather i pick a header with a theme that i like from the xheader program and then modify it to my liking. (adding more pics or resizing) to fit the intended website.
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
For stock images, it SOUNDS LIKE (but I'm no lawyer) they mean you have to pay extra to use their images on multiple products (e.g you sell their image on many T-shirts) or to produce web page templates used on many websites. But you only want to use their image on 1 web site, so you would pay the regular ("non-exclusive", meaning they can also license it to others) license fee to license that image for your 1 site.

Buy an image which is the next size larger than you need and crop it (in an image editing program) to the exact dimensions required by your web site's header area.

Cheers!
_jim coe
Last edited by jimcoe on 07 May 12 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
I've always understood it the way Jim described it too.

Hope this helps.
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

skela3
Trust:
Thanks. Helped a lot :)
toprecruit
Trust:
Hi skela3,

if you want to have a great professional header I suggest you have a look at this service in the Affilorama service section and it only costs 15 AUD per header.

affilorama-services-f45/produce-a-professional-quality-header-or-banner-15-t12644.html

I have used him a lot for my sites and I am really happy with the results.

Cheers
Sebastian
Liked my answer? Dont forget to vote thumbs up ;)

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
I agree with _jim coe . That's what I understand of "extended license". You are extending the license because you will be using the image multiple times either by embedding them on web templates or placing them on something that will be distributed. Just purchasing a "normal/regular license" should do.

I think outsourcing it to someone (like Sebastian's suggestion) is the quickest route. I checked the Affilorama Services post he referred th and the price and terms are reasonable. But if you want to do it on your own (you can edit your own header using Paint.net or Gimp) then go for an image with higher dimension. So much easier to crop an image and scale it down rather than increasing its size which can affect the quality of the image.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

skela3
Trust:
Thanks again. I will probably contact Paul in the near future!

This topic was started on May 06, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.