Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Blogs and static sites - which will give a better ranking?

rubanz
Trust:

Blogs and static sites - which will give a better ranking?

Is ranking for posts on a wordpress blog the same as ranking for pages on a static website (like in the affiloblueprint model)?
Is it the same idea? Does it work the same way?

thanks
Last edited by michellerana on 11 Oct 09 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title changed to describe the post better

faradina
Trust:
That's a big YES!
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Some believe that static sites will rank better but a blog post in the Official Google Webmaster Central Blog said that using static or dynamic sites shouldn't make any difference. Though static sites will have a slight advantage with regard to CTR, a dynamic site will not put you at a disadvantage in indexing and ranking. For more information, please read Dynamic URLs vs. Static URLs.
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Blogs may appear to do better but that may be simply put down to the fact that blogs are often frequently updated and search engines love tracking down fresh content.

But the principles apply just the same to both types of sites.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

rubanz
Trust:
thanks for your replies and useful links!

this is great news for me because I'd like to start a blog about one of my favourite hobbies and monetize it in the process!

have a great day
rubanz
Trust:
"While static URLs might have a slight advantage in terms of clickthrough rates because users can easily read the urls" (from the Official Google Webmaster Central Blog )

...I don't get it I can easily read urls in a blog post, can't you?LOL
faradina
Trust:
Static URLs and static websites do not refer to the same thing and dynamic sites (such as blogs) is similarly not what is being referred to when dynamic URLs is mentioned. A URL points to a webpage; it is the address of the webpage. It's like the physical address for your house. The address and the house are not really the same thing because the address merely says where your house is. A dynamic site can have a static URL assigned to it and vice versa. What the passage from the webmaster central blog means is that a static URL, like http://www.affilorama.com/about-us, is user-friendly (because just by looking at the URL, you already have an idea of what will come up when you go to it) while a dynamic URL, like http://mydomain.com/?pageid=3456, is not so user-friendly. Having an idea of what will come up encourages users to click on a hyperlink, hence the advantage in terms of clickthrough rates.
rubanz
Trust:
I think you did a good job clarifying that faradina thankyou very much!

This topic was started on Oct 10, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.