Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Articles & Web Content Secret!

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:

Articles & Web Content Secret!

Hey guys,

I've been testing some stuff with web content, article sizing, and looked at some of my search engine results in regards to web content on the sites, and come up with some crazy results.

What I've found is this (and surprisingly after discussing it with a few people, noticed that other big IM gurus are teaching similar things post-Panda update):

- Having articles of 1000+ words is best for ranking. The old 500 word article won't cut it anymore.

- Having original content doesn't mean anything anymore. Of course it matters, but it's not enough. You NEED content that is relevant to the search query, that is beneficial, easy on the ads, AND that is original.

Relevant to the search query means you need to address the EXACT issues that the keyword is suggesting for discussion. This takes me back to my school days when we had to answer English questions by "carefully reading the questions". The same thing applies here. You MUST look at the keyword you're targeting and really ask yourself, what is the visitor wanting. eg. "Buy XYZ Laptop" - If you want to target for that keyword, reconsider! Don't target for it unless you actually SELL XYZ Laptop. Why else will Google rank you first over someone who is a merchant? The same applies if someone searches for "How to get rid of acne" - actually address the issue, and give the visitor tips, steps, methods, solutions for their problem and DIRECTLY tell them how they can get rid of acne. Don't fill up the page with general crap about acne, pimples, soaps, and never actually address the keyword. It's all too common that writers (outsourced ones) just write about a topic, rather than address it. I see it over and over again on people's sites (heck I even had some of this type of content on my own sites until I recently removed it!).

Beneficial - this means the same as above, but also that it helps the visitor so they DO NOT have to go back and look at other results. Have you ever searched something in Google, only to find the page you clicked wasn't helpful enough and you had to go back and find another? Google doesn't want this for it's "customers" (searchers) and if you don't give any benefit to your visitors so they can end their search, you won't be at the top of Google in this post-panda world where human reviewers are only increasing.

Easy on the ads - the name says it all. Don't go overboard, just a few here and there is better. There are two benefits of this. 1) Google prefers less ads and more content, so it will help with your rankings. But also 2) People are smarter nowadays and we all AUTOMATICALLY block out the ads in our lives (think about how many magazine ads, tv ads, billboard ads, website ads you can actually recall that you've seen in the last day?). So you need to build their trust and then present them with a paid solution, RATHER than just bombarding them with ads, which they will simply ignore!

Original content - keep it original, relevant and high quality.

- Get more images in there, and embed videos - This is fantastic because it gets more colour on the page, but also because Google likes it. Things like diagrams are great, and videos are the way to go! If the alt tags of the graphics are similar to keywords, then it won't hurt, and if the title/keywords of the videos are similar to your keywords then it's definitely another benefit.

- Finally, get internal linking going. Yes the sidebar is good, but also get internal linking WITHIN the article to other pages that are relevant on your site. Pages of mine with lots of relevant internal linking have always gone to higher spots on Google and STAYED there even through the whole panda update stuff, so just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

So what do I do? I do exactly what I stated above, AND I now also write my own articles. For those who don't know, I also run an article writing service which I offer on here and at many other forums/sites.

But why does someone who is in contact with relatively cheap and quality writers, still write his own content? Well this was mainly the reason I wrote this post, and it's the "secret" I wanted to discuss. Seeing all the different sorts of writers out there, on Elance, Odesk, iWriter, etc. I can safely say 90% of it is just garbage. Seriously... It's crap. There are too many low quality writers flooding all the sites, and it's getting more and more competitive for the quality writers who still maintain high prices.

Now from the remaining 10% that is actually good, (we're looking at prices from $10-16 per article of 1000 words now), most are great. They offer good SEO density, the writing usually makes sense, and it's all original. BUT, in this post-Panda world, most of the writers don't offer any RELEVANCY to the keyword anymore, plus they don't do any of the other stuff I recommended.

Oh and I forgot to add in things about H1, and H2 headings/subheadings in the articles too (preferably containing your keywords).

So that's why I've stopped outsourcing, and I may go back eventually, but I know I won't be getting any quality for less than $16-20 per 1000 words. It's another reason I'll be completely changing my writing service from affordable articles to articles that RANK.

Anyway, I wanted to post this here to get some feedback from you guys here, would love to know what you think, if I'm wrong/right, or anything I missed. I might be posting something similar on my blog, so would be good to get things straight here.

Cheers,
Ashton
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

esolutions
Trust:
Hi Ashton,

I am seeing the same type of results. Especially with 1,000 plus word articles versus the smaller 500 word articles. More is better if it's good to begin with.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Yeah thought so mate, seems that pretty much all my articles under 600 or so words have just gone straight out of the top 10 even when some held it for months.

I guess it's a good thing overall, we just have to adapt. I'm hoping Google gives more respect to authority sites that do adhere to their new preferences as well, that'd be a huge bonus.
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I find 800-1000 words per article. the funny thing is a lot of this is what I was saying for a year before panda, not because of google but because that is what the customers want.

If you just give your readers what they are looking for, your site will get the search rankings. too many people are focused on the sale, and not the customer., this is why they fail as business people. the customer is more important than the products. if you don't take that attitude, you will lose.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Couldn't have said it better James. And you're right, I've always been reading it from you.

annabellefrost07
Trust:
I honestly would have thought anything beyond 500 words would be way too long. Maybe it's because I expect customers to have as short an attention span as I do while reading. I would have thought 500 words for an article would be just about right. If results are showing otherwise, need to give it some serious thought! Thanks for the post though - very insightful!
jcdean
Trust:
Most of my jet pack articles are no where to be found after Panda. I went back to building mini sites and gave up on my 2 jetpack blogs.

Perhaps I should just go back and beef up the articles, huh.

Pictures, graphs, you tube video embeds probably wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the info.

Let you know what happens.
Respect,
J.C. Dean
http://KillYourDayjob.com

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Yeah mate, I reckon that'd be best. Looking back at my stats again, all my pages that took a hit were 500-600 words. The only ones that stood ground after and through Panda were the ones with at least 1k words.

Some 500 word articles only got hit 1 page, but some got hit 5 pages deep on the SERPs. So now I'm going back, beefing it all up, and adding those images/videos.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
The ones that I just did a basic rewrite paragraph by paragraph took a big hit. However, when I just used the information in the Jetpack articles, and wrote my own original articles sharing similar information, I find that they didn't get hit nearly as hard. Linking tactics is also a big factor. anything that was relying on automated linking systems (AMA, AMR, UAW, etc...) all disapeared and the only ones that have come back are the ones that I have actively promoted with higher quality link building tactics.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Ashton,

Thanks for sharing your observations. A lot of our members will benefit from what you've posted here. I can't stress it enough that your content needs to have relevance and quality. It can't be either or. It has to have both of that. You need to think about giving value to your readers because only when you give value do you gain trust from visitors. In turn, they sign up to your list and purchase your product.

I find that most are hung up on ranking for their keywords and getting sales, especially those who are new in the business. The thing is, you get a boost in ranking if your site is getting plenty of traffic. You will only get plenty of traffic if you have a wide readership and in order for you to gain readership, you need to have good content.

My two cents. Merry Christmas! :)
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

mhtconsultancy
Trust:
These are really good advices, with some of them addressing mistakes that I never knew I was making...! I think you should also add on the issue of spamming target keywords...
Want to sell your awesome ebooks and services, but can't afford EXPENSIVE listing fees?

Visit http://bizzymania.com right now, the Internet marketing forum where you can sell and advertise your ebusiness for FREE, plus great tips to build your online income!

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Definitely mate. Excessive use of keywords or keyword stuffing in the domain/headings/tags is also looked down upon by Google nowadays. Not so much the meta tag stuff, but I think more so in regards to the alt tags. Definitely the domain though.

This topic was started on Dec 05, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.