Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Are Addon Domains worth the aggravation?

theo
Trust:

Are Addon Domains worth the aggravation?

Hey Guys

I am moving on to my 3rd site and up to now i have opened a new hosting account for each site, recently i discovered
addon domains. (adding new sites to your main account)
I have wasted 2 days trying to publish to the new domain via XSP, with no luck.
It's easy to setup the Addon Domain but the Publishing details are somewhat confusing FTP Server- FTP Directory and so on.

I have given up on the addon domain it's not worth the aggravation and it's cost me valuable time.
How does everyone else do it? Do you open a new hosting account for every new website?

Cheers
Last edited by michellerana on 20 Sep 09 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling error

"Does your success depend on Luck? - Yes, the harder you work, the luckier you become".

jasondodd
Trust:
I haven't found add-on domains difficult - I guess it depends how complicated the cpanel is for your hosting account. Basically when you use the option in the hosting cpanel to add a new domain it should create a new folder for the new site - make a note of this folder as you'll need to enter when setting up the new site in XSP. However itll be the same FTP connection details as your previous sites.

From what I know its cheaper to use the addon domain option than purchasing a new hosting account each time!
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

wollowra
Trust:
Buy one hosting account for each domain, Hell no..lol
Imagine having 100 sites...lol
All you do is add on the domain in your cpanel account.

Then in xsitepro you enter in the details.

Domain : xyz.com

FTP server: xyz.com

FTP directory : /public_html

FTP user: xyz@MAIN DOMAIN NAME ( NOT xyz.com ) your main domain nmae is the username you use to log in with and is usually your first chosen domain.

FTP pass: should have.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

skywalker
Trust:
I have an add-on site and it has been up for about a month now. For some reason it wont show up in the search engines. I submitted it to google. I have outside links like Twitter and you tube, but no luck. it wont even show up if you punch in the actual url www.snakeeyescostume.com in the search field. Does anyone know why this is?
theo
Trust:
Hi
I am having the same problem with my addon domain,
still waiting.
My other main domains(not addon) were indexed by Google within 5 days
i am sorry but i can't help, just letting you know you are not alone.
Cheers
"Does your success depend on Luck? - Yes, the harder you work, the luckier you become".

wollowra
Trust:
Maybe it's blacklisted in googles sandbox.
The site doesn't really add value to the visitor it just sells stuff. ( No Offence )
Not sure what to tell you on this one.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
curt850
Trust:
Hi Guys,

My hosting account is with Hostgator, but I had to setup my add on domain thru XsitePro slightly different than what Troy suggested. If you guys are still having problems you might try to set it up like this:

Domain Name: addondomainname.com

Home Directory: blank

FTP Server: orginalsitename.com

FTP Directory: public_html/addondomainname.com

FTP Username: General login for account, not specific login for addon domain (if you set one up)

FTP Password: General password for account, not specific password for addon domain.

This worked great for me, and I have no problem with my add on domains. Hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Curt
For Self Improvement Strategies and Techniques that work check out: http://www.BestSuccessInLife.com/
For the Latest Top Internet Marketing Products and Advice check out: http://www.OnlineMarketGuru.com/
For the best computer utility software reviews check out: http://www.PCsuperclean.com/

wollowra
Trust:
Yes, there are a few ways to fill in the required fields.
The info means the same but just the text is different.
Confusing for a newbie I know...
Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

This topic was started on Sep 03, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.