Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Always a challenge to overcome...

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:

Always a challenge to overcome...

Well, this was a fun weekend... Came home Thursday night and couldn't get my computer to boot off the hard drive. Tried a couple of things, but I think I only made things worse.

So instead of buying a hard drive, I bought a laptop instead. Needed a new one anyway. Then spent the next day setting it back up with current versions of my favorite software and reloading a couple of others. Still have a couple left to do.

Fortunately, I was able to save about 75% of my current working data. That's because I'd been saving most of my critical stuff on my external hard drive (thank goodness), which included most of my site related content. Still, lost all the video I had recorded had been working on editing, so I have to do that over from scratch. But that might be a good thing... One or two things about that video were... maybe a bit weird.

Lost a few other things too, like an email I had prewritten but not loaded into Aweber yet. At least I had already put the post I wrote a week ago online, I just hadn't published it yet because I was still looking for a title for it.

Moral of the story, though, is back up your working data you have on your computer. Having it on an external hard drive can help, but even those can go bad, so having it at least one other place is probably a smart idea.

Now, if I'd been smart, I might still have gotten some work in "by hand" if nothing else, but I didn't think of that until today :D 3 days wasted to "idleness" and 1 to scrambling. Still not done, though, but at least I should be able to get back to work... But now, I might need to make time for other things, but that's another tale...

Hope everyone is doing well and moving forward with what they're learning! Remember, take action!
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

giang.toni.cao
Trust:
thanks for sharing.
I also back up all my files on an external hard drive.
It's the simple things that help us save tons of trouble down the track!
digiblue
Trust:
True, true and true.

I learned this lesson a long time ago. I now religiously back everything up to external hard drives, USB sticks and also Dropbox. You can never be too careful. This is my motto these days when it comes to securing my data.

Alex
Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
Nice Gradyp.

I can relate to this. I suggest that you get a cloud account, back your most important data there (probably the ones that you always update because it is easier to sync these content to your cloud account) and then get an extra hard drive for all your files, and save the old (archived files) on CD-ROMs too.

I started doing the above since last year. I felt sorry for the lost files and NEVER again will I make the same mistake.

I know at first it would be too hard to do all these, but taking action now would very well help a lot. Also, every year I clean my files on my PC- delete unwanted files, archived old files and save them on another storage area, and then sync/save important files to my cloud, extra hard drive, and CD-ROMs. :)

Mary
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: http://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: http://www.affilorama.com/facebook

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
As a pro Windows computer consultant (my "day job"), I never let my clients compute without external backup drives (preferably swapping 2 drives, with one kept off premises) AND a full hard disk image type daily scheduled automatic backup (never a file-by-file backup).

I never advise backing up "to the cloud", unless it's IN ADDITION to an excellent local backup system. Cloud backup:
1. Is not a full image backup
2. Takes a long time to restore (maybe days)
3. Is very expensive, if you opt to pay extra to overcome problems #1 and #2 (if even possible)
4. Is a recurring expense, whereas a local system is a one-time expense + optional annual upgrades

I have complete details and true stories about backup methods and products on my blog for windows users:
All about Windows backups.

[Disclaimer] I'm an affiliate for some of the products linked to from that blog

Any questions, please feel free to PM me or ask by email, etc.

Hope this helps...
_jim coe
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
I know I'm very fortunate to only lose a small part of my files. Most of it was stuff I just had not moved over to my external hard drive. Many of the files weren't really important or could be duplicated, but one or two were things I still needed and hadn't finished with.

Jim, Like your strategy, and may have to implement it at some point! :D
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

This topic was started on Jun 05, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.