Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

All My Wordpress Sites Hacked! Help!

PremiumMember
shalisha42
Trust:

All My Wordpress Sites Hacked! Help!

I'm really upset. Last night, I tried to pull up the url of each of my affiliate sites and they all say "hacked by grim reaper"

I called hostgator and they said this happens and that they'll try to recover it. They were all done in wordpress but the one site that didn't get hacked was the one i made in xsitepro. Do you think I should make all my sites again with xsitepro?

Does anyone know how someone can "hijack" a site? One of my affiliate sites had 142 pages! Another had a lot of content on it too. Actually, all of my sites have lots and lots of content on them. Anyway, I'm really upset.

What do people do when they hijack your site?
Warm Regards,

Shalisha

tankctrlr
Trust:
Sorry to hear that you sites were hacked, I'm still learning about website security myself but from what I do know a site is never fully secure there's always risk but you can lessen the risk by keeping everything up to date and adding a layer of security via your hosting or some other manual way.

WP has many 'moving parts' that could fall victim to exploits, it's up to the plugin and theme creators to issue updates but you still got to update them yourself.

XSitePro is pretty much almost all HTML so not as much going on there unlike WP, but at the same time you can't do as much of the fancy stuff WP can. I would say stick with WP and learn how to beef up security and also learn to keep multiple backups of everything.

Not sure what this stupid hacker is doing with your sites but it looks like this was more of an ego booster for him, putting his sig all over the place, if this was someone looking to use the sites to their advantage they would want to keep the security breaches secret.

Hope you get back going soon, hang in there don't let them stop you from doing what you want to do!
Writing Services - www.needanarticle.com

huzie
Trust:
The best thing you can do is keep Wordpress updated.

WP always release updated versions in order to combat security issues and its likely someone has picked up on a vulnerability

Ensure you also keep the plugins you use on the sites updated as well.

Unfortunately out of date wordpress sites are very much enjoyed by hackers
Learn how to build your list to over 50+ optins per day http://go.oakfireit.com/LBPFreeReport

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Shalisha,

I am so sorry to hear that. I can only imagine how upsetting this is as I know how much work you've been putting on your site. I am pretty sure all your sites are updated to the current Wordpress version (3.5.1).

I can't give you any piece of advice at this time other than to hang in there and see if you can still recover the sites. I will check with a member of our technical staff for some tips on where you can start.

All the best!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Shalisha,

I found this FAQ in the Wordpress Codex and it might help: Help I think I've been hacked

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

mark schaaf
Trust:
I would suggest you go into your host and delete the ftp file as if you were putting up a revamped site with all new pages, I believe when someone hacks a site they have to go into the host and change things there but if you remove the hacked files by deleting them and re installing your site on the host computer they should all come back. It would be just like the first time you put the site up, Since it wasn't the files you have stored on your computer that were hacked it should work fine. This is of course all the work was done on your computer and saved there.
Mark

PremiumMember
os2sec
Trust:
Been hacked twice before on one of websites. I installed BulletProof Security Pro (paid version) on wp sites and was not hacked anymore. There backup wp plugins available and should always keep of come on the site on your computer.
eblro01
Trust:
Anyone using WordPress is encouraged to read this information on the WordPress Codex http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress

And like others have said, keep all of your software up-to-date and change your passwords routinely. Yes this is a pain, but it's worth the effort. And establish a backup routine - good tips for that can be found here http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups
stevex
Trust:

This topic was started on May 25, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.