Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Affiliates Security

clifftan
Trust:

Affiliates Security

Hi Mark,

Can I know what's your approach with regards to giving out your true Name on domain registration, website contact details,etc?? Is it important to mask out your true name for each website, so no one can spy on you easily?

thanks again

rgds,
Clifford
PremiumMember
nick
Trust:
Hi there,

What I usually do myself is use the protection option given at the time of domain purchase. Basically these shields your name and details from people. For example with registerfly - when I do a whois on one of my domains it looks like this

Domain Name: X.COM
Registrar: REGISTERFLY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.registerfly.com
Referral URL: http://www.registerfly.com
Name Server: NS2.HAIL.ISPRIME.COM
Name Server: NS.HAIL.ISPRIME.COM
EPP Status: clientDeleteProhibited
EPP Status: clientTransferProhibited
EPP Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Updated Date: 17-Jun-2006
Creation Date: 17-Jun-2006
Expiration Date: 17-Jun-2007

That what you mean?
clifftan
Trust:
Thanks Nick, this is helpful to know.

What about websites, contact details, becoming an authority of a topic, etc....do we safeguard ourselves by faking our true name? For instance, it will not be hard for competitors or anyone to track you down by typing into google...and list out all the websites you own.

rgds,
Clifford
PremiumMember
nick
Trust:
Other then keeping your address safe from spammers, im not sure why someone would not use the real name for something - othen then a pen name for articles etc.

By using your name it also boosts up recognition/branding.
Thats my 2c anyway.