Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Affiliate Marketing while Working a Regular Job

lcortezbarcelo
Trust:

Affiliate Marketing while Working a Regular Job

Do you work in your affiliate business and in your regular job or did you already quit your regular job?
How did you feel about it? Did you feel presure?
nessa900
Trust:
you must produce some income before you decide to quit your regular job, you do not want to do this while in a desperate state of mind. Or you will only make lots of foolish mistakes.. Most of us full-time affiliate marketers have seen our revenue decrease in the last year or two, and were forced to diversify and or learn many new skills..And many of my friends have gone back to work offline fulltime..
Dale Dupree
http://seoharrisburg.com

lcortezbarcelo
Trust:
Hi nessa900

and what had happened with affiliate marketing these last years? Why did they have go back? Because for more competition? or why?

This makes me think that even if someday I earn a decent amount of money at the same time would it be Smart to keep the offline job? Maybe if something happens in the future?
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
I think it's more an issue of making sure you're not putting all your eggs in one basket.

A couple of years ago (and this may be what Dale is referring to) quite a lot of affiliates saw their search engine rankings (and therefore their earnings) drop off overnight as Google altered its algorithm.

Before that we also saw the "Google Slap" (way back in the day now) where affiliates saw their pay-per-click minimum bids increase a huge amount, meaning that their pay-per-click campaigns could no longer be profitable, and killing their earnings too.

In both cases you could say that their downfall was not having a sufficiently diverse range of traffic sources. If it's possible to kill your earnings by shutting off one particular traffic stream, then your income is vulnerable.

Ways to overcome this include using a variety of methods to get traffic to your website (social media/sharing, SEO, PPC, newsletter lists, etc), and building a portfolio of affiliate sites rather than relying on just one for your income.

That way if Google changes their algorithm again, or if the niche you're in loses popularity, you're not going to be totally destitute.

This isn't something unique to affiliate marketing. I've seen physical, real-world businesses go belly-up because they relied too heavily on one particular client (and then that client decided to use someone else), or because the market for a product or service dried up.

I've also seen real-world business owners working away in a day-job until they felt sufficiently invincible in their own business.

Just approach affiliate marketing like any other serious business venture and you'll be fine.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

lcortezbarcelo
Trust:
Hi Aletta, nice to meeting you!! I really enjoy affiloblueprint 2 =)
and thank you so much for your advice. I think I will stay in my offline job just in case =)
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
This makes me think that even if someday I earn a decent amount of money at the same time would it be Smart to keep the offline job? Maybe if something happens in the future?

It's always nice to have something to fall back on, not because affiliate marketing will suddenly cease to be lucrative, or that, heaven forbid, all your sites get penalized or worse. As Aletta put it: "don't put all your eggs in one basket". In the same way that you do not want to rely on just one search engine for traffic, you must not rely on just one source of income. If you look around, a lot of marketers have evolved from being affiliates to product owners. There are also marketers who earn not just through their sites, but through doing SEO for other people, or freelance writing.

Robert Kiyosaki of the Rich Dad, Poor Dad fame teaches we need to find a source of passive income. I'd like to think of affiliate marketing as my passive income. Any earnings from it, I save or re-invest to getting another site I can earn from. The income I get from my "day job" goes to my daily expenses.

It can be tough, especially when you're starting out. But nothing really comes easy, and eventually, you will be able to enjoy the fruit of your labors.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

lcortezbarcelo
Trust:
Robert Kiyosaki of the Rich Dad, Poor Dad fame teaches we need to find a source of passive income. I'd like to think of affiliate marketing as my passive income. Any earnings from it, I save or re-invest to getting another site I can earn from. The income I get from my "day job" goes to my daily expenses.

Hi Cecille, I like what you mentioned. I was thinking about that. Just have different sources of income and save and maybe like Robert Kiyosaki also does which is buying places so he can rent or resell. So is another income. Just always think ahead.
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi lcortezbarcelo,

Yes, Robert Kiyosaki is into real estate, buying and selling or renting out houses. I engage in affiliate marketing while others go into stocks or start their own brick-and-mortar business. It's all about investing hard-earned money into something that can later on provide you with financial security.

Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

endy daniyanto
Trust:
Hi Cortez,

I built my AffiloBlueprint site while working a "part time" full time day job (which means I had a lot of downtime in my day job that allowed me to steal time and work on going through the AB course and building my site).

The first month I started to make money online (which was around 6 months after trying it for the first time), I made more money online than in my day job. Interestingly, I quit BEFORE I made money online because I felt that my day job interfered too much with my progress - as soon as I was able to "let go" of that resistance, I started making money with my affiliate sites.

That said, every person is in a different situation. For example, I am still quite young, and I am single, so I don't have the consideration of a family to take care of (which means i can afford to make more "brash" decisions).

Cheers,
Songwriter. Affiliate marketer. Casual gamer.

This topic was started on Jun 03, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.