Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Affiliate Marketing Then VS Now

PremiumMember
willrobwarn
Trust:

Affiliate Marketing Then VS Now

I just joined the site and gotta tell ya I like what I see. I do, however, have a few questions, mainly about the age of some of the content and the usability of some of the approaches taught.

I notice that the 'blog bootcamp' is now about to turn 4yrs old. I realize that some things have changed since then, my question is; Is the SEO and the overall approach of that webinar series still relevant today? Is there any aspect of the main approach considered obsolete. I have researched SEO and realize that we may never get an exact hold on it, I also realize that is a good thing.

I guess that is it actually, just wondering if it is safe to assume that if it is still available on the site, then it still must be relevant.
PremiumMember
willrobwarn
Trust:
As much as I hate to be the first person to post on my own thread, I'd like to say welcome aboard Bill!!

So I did some more research on the panda and penguin updates to Google algorithms. Based on my limited knowledge I think most of what was taught in that webinar series can still apply today. The only hits I see are some link building strategies, and the ezine article sites being hit pretty good by them.

What I am taking away from reading about the updates is the current strategies will look pretty much the same as the old, but with a little more passion and less of a static feel.

Can anyone from back in the day pass some knowledge? I can see what Google is doing in that they are getting rid of the 'set and forget' mentality. The thing I have a hard time with is there is still plenty of junk on the top page after searches, I mean, am I really going to get beat out by WebMD which covers pretty much every damn topic related to health? There are a ton of such broad scope websites sitting at the top, are they impenetrable? Is PPC the only way to go?
PremiumMember
willrobwarn
Trust:
Well ok, thanks for confirming that the 1$ trial was good enough.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Why howdy, Bill!

You did a pretty good job of answering your own question. We should get you on staff.

Blog Bootcamp is showing it's age a bit these days, you're right. The basic bones of the course are largely relevant, but the SEO was pre Penguin/Panda, so should be taken with that in mind.

The big picture difference between "back in the day" and now, in my opinion, can be kind of summarised as...

1) It's harder to undeservedly boost your search rankings. Links that were easy to get and easy to manipulate are no longer valued as much. Overly artificial link-building behaviour can now actually be penalised. (Way back in the day we would say "Google won't penalise you for something that happens off your website" -- but that's not true anymore.) Basically you're better off focusing on getting fewer, higher-quality links from relevant trusted sites. Google is looking for "natural" link patterns, and trying to figure out which links have been "built" and which ones have evolved naturally as the result of having great content.

2) Much bigger focus on user experience. Panda was largely about user experience, and figuring out what characterises a "good" website from a user's perspective. So there are lots of factors like site speed, design, ad density and content quality are playing a bigger role than they used to. The safest approach here is just to build a site that is really good, useful, easy to find stuff on, doesn't smack people with a ton of ads... the kind of thing YOU would like to visit and re-visit.

Sites like WebMD are authorities with a bazillion backlinks and a strong, trusted reputation. They're hard to beat, but they're not promoting the products that are going to make you money, and they're probably not ranking for the types of keywords people are searching for when they're really likely to buy something.

For instance, if I were promoting Spanish language products, I wouldn't be particularly concerned that the #1 site for the keyword "Spanish" is Wikipedia. I would be trying to get ranking on keywords like "Spanish course reviews", because those are the people who will buy.

Stop thinking about "traffic" and start thinking about "people who are likely to buy" and you'll find it changes the angle somewhat for the better.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

PremiumMember
willrobwarn
Trust:
aletta wrote:Why howdy, Bill!

You did a pretty good job of answering your own question. We should get you on staff.

Blog Bootcamp is showing it's age a bit these days, you're right. The basic bones of the course are largely relevant, but the SEO was pre Penguin/Panda, so should be taken with that in mind.

The big picture difference between "back in the day" and now, in my opinion, can be kind of summarised as...

1) It's harder to undeservedly boost your search rankings. Links that were easy to get and easy to manipulate are no longer valued as much. Overly artificial link-building behaviour can now actually be penalised. (Way back in the day we would say "Google won't penalise you for something that happens off your website" -- but that's not true anymore.) Basically you're better off focusing on getting fewer, higher-quality links from relevant trusted sites. Google is looking for "natural" link patterns, and trying to figure out which links have been "built" and which ones have evolved naturally as the result of having great content.

2) Much bigger focus on user experience. Panda was largely about user experience, and figuring out what characterises a "good" website from a user's perspective. So there are lots of factors like site speed, design, ad density and content quality are playing a bigger role than they used to. The safest approach here is just to build a site that is really good, useful, easy to find stuff on, doesn't smack people with a ton of ads... the kind of thing YOU would like to visit and re-visit.

Sites like WebMD are authorities with a bazillion backlinks and a strong, trusted reputation. They're hard to beat, but they're not promoting the products that are going to make you money, and they're probably not ranking for the types of keywords people are searching for when they're really likely to buy something.

For instance, if I were promoting Spanish language products, I wouldn't be particularly concerned that the #1 site for the keyword "Spanish" is Wikipedia. I would be trying to get ranking on keywords like "Spanish course reviews", because those are the people who will buy.

Stop thinking about "traffic" and start thinking about "people who are likely to buy" and you'll find it changes the angle somewhat for the better.

Thank you very much for your reply.
PremiumMember
willrobwarn
Trust:
"Stop thinking about "traffic" and start thinking about "people who are likely to buy" and you'll find it changes the angle somewhat for the better."

This nailed me right upside the head. Ty,
tankctrlr
Trust:
Hi Bill welcome aboard! hehe

I'm no SEO pro but from what I know, everything that we were not doing much of back in the day, we HAVE to do now. And that is to: create Fresh Unique Quality Content, Create a Good User Experience on our sites, and Market our content/sites through White Hat ways and always diversify.

All the grey hat stuff like slapping a ton of spun articles on a bunch of article directories, is in my opinion not worth doing anymore, sure it MIGHT give you a short term boost but that's all, you'll come falling down eventually, and that other guy who spent that time/money, not on article directories but on building a better site with better content and implementing a better marketing plan will climb up the ladder and stay there.

You thing Mark Ling spins articles for his sites? No, he creates great content building a brand/product.

As for competing with strong competition, remember the SEs rank web-PAGES, so if your web-PAGE (not the site but the actual page) is stronger than the competitions PAGE then it can outrank them for that KW, of course it takes more work. Now if their home-page is ranking for a KW you want and that's the PAGE you want to beat, well good luck with that, it's not going to happen lol.

Personally I don't believe that you can just slap together a aff. site and rank a cheap aff. page to get aff. clicks to aff. offers anymore, I think you need to build a business and a brand for yourself. So instead of having 'Key-word-tips.com' with a cheap iwriter 'SEO optimized article' with a few aff. links sprinkled here and there----you would create a "brand" like Bill's ____ Tips.com, providing articles, how tos, guides, everything you need for ______, join our Facebook page, follow us on twitter, here's a free report just enter your e-mail get updates etc in your inbox. Whether it's a Facebook List or an E-mail List, that's where the real money is made; in the LISTS. IMHO.

To me there's no such thing as Affiliate Marketers anymore, we should be Internet Entrepreneurs', people who join affiliate programs to monetize our traffic and lists because we don't have a product of our own yet.
Writing Services - www.needanarticle.com

PremiumMember
willrobwarn
Trust:
tankctrlr wrote:Hi Bill welcome aboard! hehe

I'm no SEO pro but from what I know, everything that we were not doing much of back in the day, we HAVE to do now. And that is to: create Fresh Unique Quality Content, Create a Good User Experience on our sites, and Market our content/sites through White Hat ways and always diversify.

All the grey hat stuff like slapping a ton of spun articles on a bunch of article directories, is in my opinion not worth doing anymore, sure it MIGHT give you a short term boost but that's all, you'll come falling down eventually, and that other guy who spent that time/money, not on article directories but on building a better site with better content and implementing a better marketing plan will climb up the ladder and stay there.

You thing Mark Ling spins articles for his sites? No, he creates great content building a brand/product.

As for competing with strong competition, remember the SEs rank web-PAGES, so if your web-PAGE (not the site but the actual page) is stronger than the competitions PAGE then it can outrank them for that KW, of course it takes more work. Now if their home-page is ranking for a KW you want and that's the PAGE you want to beat, well good luck with that, it's not going to happen lol.

Personally I don't believe that you can just slap together a aff. site and rank a cheap aff. page to get aff. clicks to aff. offers anymore, I think you need to build a business and a brand for yourself. So instead of having 'Key-word-tips.com' with a cheap iwriter 'SEO optimized article' with a few aff. links sprinkled here and there----you would create a "brand" like Bill's ____ Tips.com, providing articles, how tos, guides, everything you need for ______, join our Facebook page, follow us on twitter, here's a free report just enter your e-mail get updates etc in your inbox. Whether it's a Facebook List or an E-mail List, that's where the real money is made; in the LISTS. IMHO.

To me there's no such thing as Affiliate Marketers anymore, we should be Internet Entrepreneurs', people who join affiliate programs to monetize our traffic and lists because we don't have a product of our own yet.

Very well put, tyvm. I felt I was back in time for a while there when I joined. Everything I ever find on this subject is way dated and very old, almost like the people that were pioneering it for us, included us in the static era and just created some"hey look we will help" page and left it to dim out with the era. 2009 seems to be the sweetspot. ;)
cheyenne
Trust:
Bill, I highly suggest that you go here to learn about SEO:
http://source-wave.com/
Becker is one of the best and it's free - no strings just solid, current content!
You can thank me later :-)
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Bill,

Welcome to Affilorama! :)

Can anyone from back in the day pass some knowledge?

Mark wrote an interesting blog post early this year about what he would do if he were to start affiliate marketing NOW, with all the current changes in effect:
What if I had to start again?

I think it's an interesting read, and very helpful to those who are starting on affiliate marketing now.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

This topic was started on Nov 21, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.