Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Affiliate Commissions Given to Someone Else...

PremiumMember
kristine
Trust:

Affiliate Commissions Given to Someone Else...

Hi Friends!

I know that it's been awhile since I've been here on the forums but wondered if I could get some insight into something that happened to me today.

A few months ago I sold a well known product from a well known company (not going to name names here), and have been receiving the recurring commissions on that product for the past three months. (These are not small commissions either they are rather substantial).

When I logged into this other companies back end affiliate area I noticed that there wasn't an update on the commission. So I wondered if maybe there was a problem (there weren't any refunds either). I thought that maybe the purchaser's credit card didn't go through.

Instead, I received the response from the affiliate manager that the person who had purchased the product had actually written into the company and stated that they had wanted the commissions to "go to someone else" and so this company instead took the commissions that I would have received from here and into the future and instead gave it to this "other" affiliate stating "We do every attempt to abide by the customers intentions".

Note that I had to actually write in and ask what was happening, no one informed me of it.

Before I send off some kind of rant to them (because I am extremely infuriated at this point as you might imagine), I wanted to get some insights from others; I know that you can't give legal advice but was looking for some ways on which to handle this.

I didn't realize that commissions could be just "handed over" to someone else. I have searched through their legal agreements and cannot locate ANYWHERE that states they can do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Kristine
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
is this a private affiliate program or one listed with a network?

I have heard of people doing this, but don't know if you have any legal standing. perhaps the other affiiliate had a better bonus they were offering. not sure.

that is a crappy deal, and sorry to see it happen, but I am not sure what kind of legal standing you could have.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

PremiumMember
kristine
Trust:
Thanks for replying James! Much appreciated.

It was with a private affiliate program; not an affiliate network. I understand that folks can't truly give legal advice but was truly surprised at the way that they handled it; it's a program that I would never in a million years thought would pull this kind of thing.

I did send off an email to them letting them know that I really do like their products (and I honestly do!) but that the way that they went about handling the situation was beyond any responsible and moral belief! There was more within the email and I tried to be as professional as possible so we'll see if something comes of it.

- Kristine
sonitin
Trust:
Let us know how it goes.. to me its just weird and I will probably not be working to promote them anymore.. Most companies treat affiliates to be expendable and this is just an example of it.

Do ask them if they will be equally happy if the customer wants his payment to them to be given to charity instead of going in for their bank account. They will abide by customer's wishes only as long as it doesn't affects them.
"offshoreally.com" - One click for all outsourcing requirements including bookmarking, submissions, dedicated staff, link building..

Looking for a qualified virtual assistant to help you with your work? Click here - "offshoreally.com/internet-marketing-outsourcing-seo/virtual-assistant-link-building"

Enter The" Bad Ass" SEO Guest Blogging Contest to WIN CASH PRIZES http://bit.ly/9knBFs

PM me for coupon codes!

This topic was started on Aug 09, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.