Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

ADWORDS URLs

jamesgoshea
Trust:

ADWORDS URLs

Can somebody assist a newbee of 57 to get the head around adwords rules on destination and display url s having to "match " . I have registered with clickbank as an affiliate.I wish to promote by way of a pay per click add using addwords. How can the destination url that I have received from clickbank, for the merchant I wish to promote, be a match for that of the merchants own site ? If I am promoting a car supplier my sample add might be as follows :
great cars
power cars

DISPLAY URL motors.com

Clickbank will have given me an encrypted code ( hoplink ) for my promotion of this merchant (motors.com) which includes my affiliate tracking and the merchants site in code and looks like 222lou2hgt54hjg.hop.clickbank.net/? and I understand that this is what is to go into the destination field of the adwords add.
WHAT MUST I ENTER IN THE DESTINATION FIELD IN ORDER TO ADHERE TO THE ADWORDS POLICY THAT THE DOMAINS OF BOTH URLS MUST MATCH.
OR
Is it that both url s must bring the customer to the exact same page on the merchants site and if so HOW is that achieved when entering both the urls on the addword add. AS THE DISPLAY IS A .COM AND THE CLICKBANK CODE ENDS IN .NET ?
.PLEASE SHOW ME AN EXAMPLE USING THE ABOVE DATA BEING ENTERED IN BOTH DISPLAY AND DESTINATION URL S
Thanks in advance. Jim
Last edited by jamesgoshea on 10 Nov 11 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
The domain of your display URL must match the domain of your landing page/destination URL. If the website you're advertising is "merchantsite.com," your ad's display URL must also contain "merchantsite.com."

The use of sub-domains and additional text within the display URL is acceptable provided the top-level domain matches the URL of your landing page.

For example, display URLs such as the following:

sub.google.com
google.com/extratext
http://www.google.com/extratext

would all be acceptable for the landing page URL below, as the top-level domain of google.com is matched:

http://sub.google.com/miscellaneous

You'll find more instructions on display URL's on these pages:

AdWords Policy Center - Display URL

AdWords Policy Center - Destination URL

Hope that helps!
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

jamesgoshea
Trust:
as a clickbank affiliate they give me an encrypted code that looks like 2558hytr35kijg.hop.clickbank.net
The site of the merchant that I wish to promote may look like kkkkkkk.com

As a newbe I have asked google adwords for advice and they tell me that the DOMAIN of my merchant ( the one i put in the display field of my add ) must match that of my Destination url. Can someone please show me what i am to put into the destination field of the adwords add so as to comply with this policy. Please use the sample data that i have included here. Thanks for any and all help.
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi James,

The destination URL is the link where you are actually sending/referring users to while the display URL is the URL shown in the ad. I took the following example from the Google Adwords Help page:

Advertise with Google
Want fast results?
Create your campaign today!
adwords.google.com

Display URL: The display URL (the URL users see) in the sample ad above is adwords.google.com and is highlighted above in green.
Destination URL: The destination URL (the URL users don't see until they click on your ad) is https://adwords.google.com/select/start ... p/ForkAuth.

It is your domain that needs to be on the display URL and not the merchant's since you want users to go to your site and purchase the product from there. For the destination URL, you might want to have them directed to a landing/sales page on your site for the product instead of creating a redirect of your affiliate link as destination URL.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

This topic was started on Oct 29, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.