Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Adding Schema to websites

nates450r
Trust:

Adding Schema to websites

After reading the most recent blog post about schema.org i would like to start adding it to my websites.
after visiting the schema website i found this section http://schema.org/Product

i copied the html (with microdata) and pasted it in a blank page then replaced the text with my own just to see what it looked like. it almost looks like a adwords ad.

My question is--is this the right html to use (product) to use on pages that im sellng somthing?
I dont quite fully undertand as there are a lot of html codes listed.

or should i use the schema.org/Review as it is a product review site?
jethro.aragon
Trust:
What Schema.org is offering are sample codes that are structured in ways recognized by major search providers. You can actually use it as a reference on how you can code your site properly. If you think that the codes that you are getting from that site is working for you, then I don't see any problems in using it. But if you are using WordPress, you can just use the features available to create your pages since the structure of WordPress is already optimized for Search Engines. But if you are coding your website on your own, then using the codes available on schema.org might be helpful.

Cheers!
Last edited by jethro.aragon on 23 Aug 11 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Jethro-

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.”

nates450r
Trust:
jethro.aragon wrote:What Schema.org is offering are sample codes that are structured to in ways recognized by major search providers. You can actually use it as a reference on how you can code your site properly. If you think that the codes that you are getting from that site is working for you, then I don't see any problems in using it. But if you are using WordPress, you can just use the features available to create your pages since the structure of WordPress is already optimized for Search Engines. But if you are coding your website on your own, then using the codes available on schema.org might be helpful.

Cheers!

See, thats whare lose it i dont really understand --when i pasted the (html code at schema.org/Product )mentioned above onto a blank page (replaced sample text with my own) it apperead/looked like an ad on page (maybe 250x100 pixels)

So, Is schema saying if i add this bit of code someware on one of my website pages (adjustng the html code/text accordingly) that it will make that page better for search engines?
jethro.aragon
Trust:
We could say that those are sample code snippets. Codes that you can insert within your own page.
It's better for search engines in a way because of it's structure. It would make it easier for the search engine to understand the structure of your page thus might cause positive effects for your site.
-Jethro-

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.”

This topic was started on Aug 23, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.