Affilorama Birthday
Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

A question about keywords

sixtos
Trust:

A question about keywords

Hello all,

Going through week one has been eye opening in how sophisticated good marketing is.

My keyword search has been interesting.

The niche I've chosen is a big market with lots of potential, but I'm finding something curious.

My three word search brings back low numbers but my two word search brings back numbers into the six figures on Googles, keyword tool.

My question is- are my clients using two words more often- it would appear so.

There for is it logical to use two words or should I use three when the results are low.

I think my clients in this niche are quick to the point and really want answers fast.

This confuses me.

Targeting keywords is the mother ship of SEO, so is it wise to go against the results shown in google.

Very confused about this.
Have a good and funny day.

jpastorizo
Trust:
As suggested by Mark you have to go with keyword phrases that has 3 words in them. These are the long tail keywords. They will always receive less searches than the keyword phrases that has 2 words in them. However, the long term keywords has the higher conversion rate. Don't be confused. As long as the long tail keywords you have for your niche has more than 1500 searches monthly then you're good.

Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

rocketdocket
Trust:
Let me add to jpastorizo's response about comparing keywords returned by Traffic Travis or Google's keyword tool.

Remember that the number of "hits" shown by Google is based on average monthly search volume by everyone who enters each keyword phrase--not the total number of search engine hits with that phrase. The smaller the number of organic listings found using your keyword phrase, the less competition you have.

For example:

Using a spreadsheet or on paper, enter your final 25-30 niche keyword phrases in one column. To the right, enter the average number of searches on those keywords from the Google keyword tool.

Then Google each keyword phrase on your own twice--first without quotation marks, then with quotation marks, and enter the number of hits you get on each.

If you get hundreds of thousands of hits without quotes and only tens of thousands of hits with quotes, then you can conclude there's less competition for that keyword phrase. Ditto...you're more likely to rank higher with Google.

For example:

learn to play flute = 464,000
"learn to play flute" = 22,900

how to stop puppy biting = 225,000
"how to stop puppy biting" = 8,210

Now try this one:

making money online = 194,000,000
"making money online" = 3,280,000

Would you rather compete with "learn to play flute" or "how to stop puppy biting" or "making money online"?

It's a judgment call, of course. But the lower the number of keyword phrase hits in quotes, compared to the total number of hits for the same keyword phrase without quotes, the less competition you'll have.

With less competition, people are more likely to find your article on puppy biting and you'll make more money.

Just Googled "make more money" (3,280,000). You can Google the keyword phrase without quotes.

Brian

Brian Prows
Director of Mobile & New Media
MobileBeyond
http://www.MobileBeyond.net
510-565-7946

sixtos
Trust:
Now it makes sense to me.

Thanks guys for this tidbit.

This forum, your help and this coarse are making my learning curve spike very fast.

This topic was started on May 13, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.