Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

200+ Clicks on 1 Link - No Conversions

clausont5
Trust:

200+ Clicks on 1 Link - No Conversions

Looking at the clicks per link on Affilotheme redirects page, I see that some of my links have more than 200 clicks, but I have no conversions on the site at all.
Is this normal or am I doing something wrong to have no conversions out of well over 500 product link clicks for an Amazon affiliate site.
Thanks
Someday I will figure it out.....Maybe.......
http://crocskechers.com

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
I have some links that get thousands upon thousands of clicks and no sales whatsoever.

I have other links that average one sale every 30 clicks.

It depends on the page on the website, and what sort of audience it is getting.

The links on my site that get thousands of clicks and no sales are ones where people have come for something that is not really related to the product I'm promoting. (I've used it for link bait.) It's like they've come for vegetarian recipes, and I send them to a site about beef.

The pages that DO convert are "product name review" pages and "best XYZ product" type pages. Where people are clearly already interested in buying the kind of product I'm promoting.

In short, there are two main reasons why you might have sent a bunch of clicks but not seen any sales yet...

1) The merchant's sales page doesn't convert. But if you look in Clickbank (if using a clickbank product) and see that the gravity is reasonable (eg, over 10) then this probably isn't the case.

2) Your traffic isn't very targeted to the product. They're not in a buying mood. They might be information gathering.

I recommend that you add tracking IDs to your affiliate links (Clickbank) so that you know which pages are sending the clicks -- if you have the same link on multiple pages.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

clausont5
Trust:
Thanks for the response Aletta, I appreciate your input and time.
The pages that the links are on are product review pages with "product name review" and "best XYZ product" type keywords. This is an amazon.com affiliate site so the cloaked links go straight to Amazon.com. (I am using Affilotheme). I may have to use tracking ids more heavily to narrow down the pages, but typically, a link is only on one page so I can keep track of it reasonably well. Last check I have over 500 link clicks, but not a single conversion. Much of the traffic is from organic searches.
I think I need to learn how to use Clickbank better also :)

Thanks,

Tim

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
With 500 clicks through to Amazon, I would think that you would see *something*. You get commissions for practically anything anyone buys on Amazon after clicking your link, even if it's a Scooby Doo DVD (true story).

When you look at your stats in Amazon, are you seeing any activity? Not necessarily purchases, but are clicks registering? I wonder if your link is tracking correctly.

If it is registering correctly, it's probably just a matter of time. I have 2.5% conversion on Amazon, which earns me a massive $10/month on average. But Amazon isn't my big earner... just funds my Kindle book addiction :)
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

clausont5
Trust:
Hi Alette,

I do see some activity in the Amazon reports including some conversions - the conversions are from friends buying from our A-Store I believe.
The link click throughs in the Amazon reports do not match the link clicks reported in the Affilotheme redirects link page.
Here is the sommary from Amazon:
Clicks & Conversion Summary
May 1, 2014 to May 18, 2014
Glossary
Product Link Clicks 504
Other Clicks 39
Clicks 543
TOTAL CONVERSION 2.39%

The Affilotheme Affiliate Redirects page shows a total of 2,624 link clicks - all should be going to Amazon.com. But the reports don't match up. Am I doing something wrong somewhere?

Thanks,

Tim

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hey Tim,

That's a weird one. Your conversion rate reported by Amazon seems about right. That's about what mine is too.

The fact that "clicks" in AffiloTheme aren't registering in Amazon says to me (and Jonathan, who I'm paraphrasing :) that something is screwy with the way the cookie is being set. For instance, if it was a bot going through the link rather than a real person. The bots would toss the cookie, so the visit wouldn't be tracked. Unfortunately AffiloTheme doesn't have the capacity to tell whether someone going through a link is a real person or not, so it'll report all traffic through the link.

If you added all those extra clicks back into Amazon it would send your conversion rate through the floor. It would be unnaturally low. So I'd be inclined to think that all those extra "clicks" are not real.

Long story short, it's probably better to stick to looking at the affiliate networks to see your clicks, rather than the affiliate redirects area of AffiloTheme.

clausont5
Trust:
Hi Aletta,

Hmmm, I had not thought of the clicks not being real. That is a possibility.
Well, I do use Amazon to check clicks and possible conversions - they are the one who counts :) So true about the conversion rate going through the floor if I added in the extra clicks. But you bring out a good point about bots.
At one point I tried a fiverr gig to drive traffic to the site. Little did I realize (lesson learned) that the claims of being real traffic was very dubious at best. And most traffic that did come in seemed to be from Hong Kong. Well, that should be expired about now so maybe it will start reflecting true traffic. And true clicks.
Thanks,

Tim

alan roy hocking
Trust:
Hi Tim

I see you said your links are going to Amazon.com from a product review page?

Are they going to the product page on Amazon or just the home page?

If they are just going to the Amazon home page you won't get any conversions because the people clicking through won't want to search around in Amazon again to find the product you were recommending

Just a thought

Alan :)
The happiest people don't always have the best of everything, they just know how to make the best of everything.

clausont5
Trust:
alanroy,

That is a good thought. In this case, all of the product links are going to the corresponding Amazon product pages.

I am in the process of making some changes and trying EasyAzon for some of the links, but I don't expect much difference. If there is a difference, I would guess that it comes from the product pop-up boxes when hovering over a text link. Time will tell.

Thanks,

Tim

charlesedu2
Trust:
Thank you Alette for such a wonderful reply...that was quite informative response...
ATTENTION!!!
All Beginners and Newcomers...
Learn How To Create Your Own Website Today.
Create Your First Website Without Codding Skills And Start Making Money Today
www.charlesedwardsonline.com
www.charlesedwardsonline.com/blog

stevex
Trust:
I think which site is providing minimum clicks is more effective than the more clicks .Minimum clicks make the information early and easily

This topic was started on May 18, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.