Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

"$171,168.00 a month": Is this an unrealistic headline?

PremiumMember
ibltechno
Trust:

"$171,168.00 a month": Is this an unrealistic headline?

Mark, recently you sent out an email of a video on "How to pick a profitable niche".
In it you talk about a headline that says
"This system makes me at least $171,168.00 a month"..etc

Now when I see a headline like that I immediately think that this is all crap and it makes me immediately close that site.
So if this person was doing this business and was making that sort of money then 1) why would he be selling it and, 2) if he is making that much then surely he has been in the IM game for a very long time.

And then you sell it to newbies in such way that think they too can sign up and make that amount of money.
We all know it is not easy to make that kind of money in a month. Being a newbie, it would need a long time to make it work and to earn that big.

What are your thoughts about headlines like these?
I would really like to hear what others think.
Last edited by graceharman on 17 Sep 09 11:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: spelling errors, revised to make the post more readable

wollowra
Trust:
Hi IBL,
I am sure that that headline has been split tested and is proven to convert more than other headlines.

Let me ask you a question.. If you had 2 headlines and one of them said "this system makes me $2000 a month" and the other one said "This system makes me $171,000 a month" and your split tests showed that the second headline converted 20% more... what would you choose?
Of course you need to be making $171,000 to say it.

There are people on the internet like yourself that would see the second headline and click off the site immediately and that's fine because you know what you are looking for.

But what would you do? Run with the headline that makes you less money?

Now I am not saying that these type of marketers who use headlines like that are just in it for the money because I am sure they provide great value with their product or website, but at the end of the day we are all here to make a living.

Sure, some people are on the net to just give out free info and that's great as well.. but I can assure you that the free info turns into sales down the line somewhere and again that's fine because they have offered value to people.

anyway.. Just my 2 cents.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Thats a fair comment although I think we all know that headlines need to be attention-grabbing to get anyone to stop and read these days.

So by using a headline which almost seems outrageous (although true in the cited example) it gets people to stop and read on. Of course its still up to them whether they accept the ideas been put forward or not, but at least they've read it and for the most part thats the important thing.

I think we all need to be realistic about the earning potential of any system but at the same time its important not to quickly dismiss the amazing power of the internet - we are dealing with over a billion consumers and more and more of them are willing to purchase online. Learning how to tap into that can be the difference between success and failure.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

harryk
Trust:
Wow...somehow I am not good with this, if someone is really raking in almost 200K a month, he has no business to talk about it, but to just keep working at his program to make sure it runs as long as possible. But if it's just a fluke, which I am thinking that it is, and that means his shooting star is just coming down, and now, as the opportunity is more or less dried out he decides to sell the "high income program" to a newbie. You can see this all over the place, "buy my widget for 15 dollars, and as a bonus I will give you 5000 dollars worth of goodies" please.....this is not to way to go. And to you Troy, you dont have to test whether you use 2000 or 200000, come on, the bigger the better, of course. The question is, how ethical is that? So basically, what I am saying is this, I will not lie to get your business, and to anyone who does, shame on them.
wollowra
Trust:
I totally agree Harry.
My point was that if you are making $171,000 then you could claim or (TEST) what amount works better.
I don't necessarily agree that the more you claim you are making the better for conversions.
Some tests will show that less is better converting.. depending on who you are marketing to.
The goal of the marketer should always be to provide value and then some.. and maybe even more value.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
ibltechno
Trust:
Thanks for your thoughts.
as I said when I see that amount then I immediately think it is a scam.
What person in their right mind would think that they can reproduce that sort of money by buying that persons product?
Any internet marketing takes a lot of work and time.

If there is someone then I will buy the product for them and work with them and share the profit. lol

There is no way anyone (unless you are Mark or some other Guru) can make that sort of money even working overtime for a full year.....

I agree that it is just a headline to get my attention, however if it was true, then as I said it would be very hard to reproduce...
Last edited by michellerana on 17 Sep 09 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: revised to make the post more readable

wollowra
Trust:
IBL,
It may seem that this type of income is not achievable for a newbie.
That's a fair comment.. but Mark was a newbie too once.
And I can certainly say that this type of income is achievable from the people who I have associated with.
Yep, you're gonna work your butt off for it.. but it's well worth it I say.
Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
ibltechno
Trust:
oh for sure. one will have to work their ass off of course.
What i am saying is that it is achievable but only to those who know what they are doing.

and a large percentage of the IM world dont. lol
dougbarr
Trust:
IBLtechno wrote:oh for sure. one will have to work their ass off of course.
What i am saying is that it is achievable but only to those who know what they are doing.

and a large percentage of the IM world dont. lol

You're right in part. In part it comes down to ability. However in part mindset is very important. Henry Ford once said "Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right." Thomas Edison was once asked why he pressed on after thousands of failures inventing the light bulb. He replied “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” Food for thought.

This is well worth viewing IMHO: http://tonyrobbinstraining.com/320/interview-with-frank-kern-and-john-reese/

There are many, many marketers out there simply looking to line their pockets at our expense, just like any market. There are also marketers out there that see a bigger picture and over deliver in big ways, whether by free giveaways, or by providing huge value. They want to give back. I could name some on each side of these ethics though I don't think it would be appropriate to centre anyone out. Watch, listen, learn for long enough, and you will discover who is who. I've done this by getting on mailing lists of many of the biggest players in this market and following them. I've opted out from any mailings from one so called "Guru" (I don't like that term particularly.) that makes millions a year. I can't respect or trust someone who is self serving while claiming to want others to succeed just as he has. And he's not even a scammer, a whole other animal on this Wild Wild Web.

My point is $171,168 a month is not unrealistic unless you believe it is. Of course certain mechanisms need to be in place for this to be achievable. That goes without saying. So back to the question that wollowra posed to you. If you're geared up and capable, which headline would attract you most? Personally I've never made anywhere near this amount...yet.

This topic was started on Sep 16, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.