Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

1 site with 100 articles or 5 sites with 20 articles?

daveyace
Trust:

1 site with 100 articles or 5 sites with 20 articles?

I'm just starting a site and aiming for 20 - 30 articles but when thats finished i'm not sure weather to just keep building up the one site, or then start a new site in a different niche. What does everyone think is better in the IM world 1 site with loads of articles or lots of different smaller sites?

Davey
Make $10,000 with this step by step formula (Newbie Friendly) http://bit.ly/MveoYF

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Davey,

Both ways have their advantages. Continuing to build a site up to 100 articles (or more) can help build your site into an authority site with lots of link diversity and traffic. On the other hand, having sites in multiple niches may allow you to "promote" what's hot during the year. For example, right now, dating sites might be on a cyclical upswing with Valentine's day just a few days away. It might be a little late to promote that, but Golf season is just starting up, so getting a site up and going on that right now could help you take advantage of that trend. Most niches probably have a cyclical cycle where they receive a lot of attention, so multiple sites across various niches could help you to take advantage of some of that.

But, if you are still trying to get one site up, it might be best to focus on that one site until you get it making money.

The key is to figure out what works for you and go with it. And don't give up!

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:
Grady's right, both have advantages. Personally, say if you only had enough to outsource 100 articles. I'd get 5, 20 page sites or 4, 25 page sites going, then try to get those making back money. Milk each for it's worth.
Then with that return revenue, invest that into making the most paying site (or 2 if 2 are doing well) into a 100 page authority site. This way, you know you've chosen a good niche to do it with, because a common error is picking a bad niche for an authority site.
http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

darrylhudson
Trust:
Davey,

I agree with both of those guys, I combine two niches into one, and made this my personal blog in the Self Help & Relationship niches, I'm building this as a authority site because they kind of go hand in hand. I started this blog back in Dec. and I'm getting decent trafiic so far about 200 visitor a day and I monetize with Adsense, Clickbank, CPA offers plus my opt-ins good luck on your sites I know you will succeed if you stay at it.
wollowra
Trust:
Hey Davey,
All the guys above gave some really good advice.
Depending on your time and budget, you could start another site if you wanted.
But keep those articles going on both sites.
If you can not do this, then focus on the one site.
Give it all the seo love it needs and get it to making some dollars.
I realize that the money can come a bit later after finishing a site and getting it indexed so if you are happy with the first one...I would start on your second so you get it going at least and get the site indexed ASAP.
It doesn' t need to shoot to page 1 right away.. but at least you can keep working on it like the first site.
Once the first site starts to make some money, then put that seed money (earnings) into a third site.

Hope that makes sense.

Mark has a good video on this here...
http://www.affilorama.com/blog/whiteboard

Troy :)
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

esolutions
Trust:
Hi Davey,

If you're just starting. Start with 1 site. Dividing your time between multiple sites will just give you a bunch of mediocre sites. By focusing 100% on one site, you are sure to make it as best as it can be and learn a lot along the way that you can apply to your 2nd, 3rd, 4th...

If you have enough for 100 articles, why not do 30 and get the rest for article marketing use? If you were to spin each of those unique articles, that's a lot of ammo for shooting links at each one of your 30 pages. No point in having 100 badly ranking pages when you can have even a few high ranking pages.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

daveyace
Trust:
thanks esolutions thats good advice
Make $10,000 with this step by step formula (Newbie Friendly) http://bit.ly/MveoYF

wollowra
Trust:
esolutions wrote:Hi Davey,

If you're just starting. Start with 1 site. Dividing your time between multiple sites will just give you a bunch of mediocre sites. By focusing 100% on one site, you are sure to make it as best as it can be and learn a lot along the way that you can apply to your 2nd, 3rd, 4th...

If you have enough for 100 articles, why not do 30 and get the rest for article marketing use? If you were to spin each of those unique articles, that's a lot of ammo for shooting links at each one of your 30 pages. No point in having 100 badly ranking pages when you can have even a few high ranking pages.

Esolutions offers some good advice but I do have to say that you asked if, "when you finished" your site should you move on to another.
This is just my opinion but I would definitely start another site instead of just focusing on 1.
Having said that, I would make sure the first one is ranking well and making money.
Then you can outsource the work(articles, links etc) building a second one and so on as Mark stated in the video I posted above..

At least by a domain and get it aged or by an aged domain with some PR.

You can divide your time between sites without any detrimental effects to your first site but just make sure you can do it by outsourcing as this will build all your sites.
Unless you plan to completely dominate your niche ( alot of work ) then hey, just stick with your main authority site and make some other sites in the same niche when the first is making money.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

This topic was started on Jan 30, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.