Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

Is It Good Practice To Allow Comments On My Site?

howieee
Trust:

Is It Good Practice To Allow Comments On My Site?

So, my question I think is:
- is it a good practice for the affiliate marketer (keeping in mind our ultimate purpose) to allow, promote, and engage in Commenting and Replies in the Blog articles?

Example of what I'm talking about could be a sort of a Dear Abby thing... or perhaps just allowing Comments to be posted against any Article that is Posted.

Is this helpful to the cause, or counterproductive? Does it help with link building, or deter from it, or not matter either way?

I keep wondering if this is a stupid question, but I happen to actually be an authority in my particular niche and am considering a Q&A type of forum. I'm not sure if I it's a good or bad idea. I do want to make sure I'm only taking action on those things critical to my marketing mission.

~ Howiee
PremiumMember
grantbuff
Trust:
You might aware that blog commenting and replies with affiliate links is one way of spamming. Of course, if your comments are related to the blog and provide useful ideas, tips, feedback, etc, they could drive traffic to your links provided that your links are not dead or problematic. I had removed comments that only want to promote their link and any comments that have some grammatical errors, incomplete sentence structures, etc.
Learn Affiliate marketing step by step with AffiloBlueprint - https://www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint?aff=gar4on

howieee
Trust:
Thanks for the reply Grant. So are you suggesting that it is ok to allow or even promote comments (such as through a Q&A category) so long as you:

- moderate for spamming and backlink promotion that offer no value to your blog?
PremiumMember
grantbuff
Trust:
howieee wrote:Thanks for the reply Grant. So are you suggesting that it is ok to allow or even promote comments (such as through a Q&A category) so long as you:

- moderate for spamming and backlink promotion that offer no value to your blog?

Generally, your comments are at the mercy of the blog/website owners. It depends on bloggers/webmasters. Some would strictly consider that you are spamming regardless whether or not you provide useful comments.

I mentioned that if you only want to drop an affiliate link without providing any comments, you won't see your comments stay for too long. Also, if your sentences have significant errors in grammar and structures, your credibility is being questioned. Not everyone writes and speak perfect English, not even native speakers. Minors errors would be ok in my book.

If you are hoping that people would check out your link, then you need to provide comments that have substances like tips, reasons, ideas, etc. Comments in short phrases and sentences like 'good article', 'your post is helpful', or 'thanks for your tips' are not helpful. It doesn't mean that you spam. Your links could be part of your signature in this situation. Other than that, you need to put on an effort to impress.

To be honest with you, I haven't done much of this. But, I had removed few comments as mentioned above. I forgot to mention that some comments may come from automation, which is probably not going to see much light of day considering that Google has been utilizing Panda and Penguin. Take this forum, I haven't seen any ability to attach a signature.
Learn Affiliate marketing step by step with AffiloBlueprint - https://www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint?aff=gar4on

howieee
Trust:
I understand better what you're saying now.

Maybe I didn't express my original question very well. The question I'm asking does not have anything to do with posting comments on "other" peoples' blogs. Rather, my question is whether or not is is a good idea/practice for me to open up comments (including adding a Q/A forum) on my own site. Am I making any sense?

Anyone on the affilo STAFF there wanna weigh in?

Howie
howieee
Trust:
To add an example to what I'm asking: I notice on the enlightenment gateway site that the blog articles are posted and published, but there is no commentary by readers going on anywhere (unless I'm missing something). Is this by deliberate due to it not being a good practice for an affiliate site? Or...?
adam.kent
Trust:
howieee wrote:I understand better what you're saying now.

Maybe I didn't express my original question very well. The question I'm asking does not have anything to do with posting comments on "other" peoples' blogs. Rather, my question is whether or not is is a good idea/practice for me to open up comments (including adding a Q/A forum) on my own site. Am I making any sense?

Anyone on the affilo STAFF there wanna weigh in?

Howie

The most authoritative blogs allow users to post feedback, questions and comments via the blog section. And, actually opening up the comment section is an excellent way to encourage interactivity among your readers and get a conversation going, almost in the same way you would on a forum. It's easy to get your reader's feedback and opinion if they are allowed to talk with you directly under the article they have just read.
---
Adam Kent - Social Media Manager at http://jarvee.com/

"The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker

howieee
Trust:
Thank you Zoe! It seemed like such a fundamental question, but I could not find any validation until now. Have a great weekend.
squierslydia
Trust:
If your comment is nice, the blogger will check who you are and what your website it about. Once, they should realize that your website is also good and become a fan. Comment to build relationships and advance discussions. Not to build links.
pete12
Trust:
I am going to enable comments on my website in the hope of interacting with my readers and finding a direction for my site.

By letting people comment, it can also give me an insight into the way people interpret the information I am providing.
As I am still learning about my niche, I am pretty sure some opinions will be negative, but that is all part of the learning curve.

I have also installed the comment redirect plugin by yoast and I will be sending first time commenters to a squeeze page and hopefully get them to sign up to my newsletter.
cecille.l
Trust:
Enabling comments is not something I wholeheartedly recommend. It's more to do with convenience because the Comments section is a spammer's playground. Trollers too. So you find yourself going though the comments, gleaning the good from the bad.

There are plugins you can use to automate the process, but the really good ones cost and you don't want to have that additional fee until you have earned from the site.

I would probably enable this option when I have gained wider readership on my website, and not at the onset.
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

vivianr330
Trust:
When I first started online, I had a blog that allowed comments. I eventually took off the commenting ability because of what Cecille mentions, mainly a lot of spamming.

Since then I've had several sites, none with comments allowed. It hasn't affected the ability of visitors to contact me if they want to with their comments, and for us to interact from there.

I know that the "user" experience relies heavily on social signals, of which comments is but one example. But at the end of the day, not everyone feels compelled to comment on everything they read online, no matter how wonderful.

This topic was started on Nov 05, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.