Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

Spinning Is No Longer Recommended? What Else Has Changed?

hobbyman
Trust:

Spinning Is No Longer Recommended? What Else Has Changed?

Hi All,

I've been absent for quite a while....almost 5 years. My initial website created back in 2010 is still up but I haven't done anything with it for a while.

I was thinking of reentering the rat race but am wondering how much the philosophy has changed since I first bought into the system here.

All my original articles were created and 'spun' and sent out to several sites for publishing.... Most of the product I was promoting is still available.

So, my question is. Has the 'system' changed to the point that I need to start over from scratch? I saw in a post below that 'spinning' is no longer supported by a tool. Does that mean we no longer take the same basic content and tweak it in order to place it on multiple sites?

If 'spinning' is no longer recommended....what has replaced it? Yeah.,..I know buy the new course to find out... LOL... But all kidding aside, before I go to that expense (new version to come out soon is not lost on me) has the approach changed THAT much?

Thanks for any feedback...I'm just trying to bring myself back up to speed and I'd like to understand what I'm tackling before I decide to jump in with both feet.....

Thanks....
ryan.kempe
Trust:
Unless you use a really sophisticated spinner, then spinning articles will get you penalised by Google. Google is much smarter than 2 years ago. How are your old websites ranking? Did they survive the latest penguin and panda updates?
hobbyman
Trust:
"How are your old websites ranking? Did they survive the latest penguin and panda updates?"

Well, to be honest, I haven't a clue. Like I said I've been away and haven't kept up with the latest trends so I don't even KNOW what penguin and panda are. I had to focus on the primary source of income and put all efforts there....hated to do that but it was one of those either/or choices.

I just left the old site up and running and stopped posting anything new to article sites and such....So I was wondering if the lack of activity from my site was caused mostly because of my not maintaining any kind of proactive maintenance of the site (new posts on blogs, Ezine type sites) and that the old articles I initially put up had cycled off the Ezine type sites due to just being old. So as they died off....so did my traffic.

Now, based on your question I'm wondering if the Penguin and Panda you mentioned were the cause....or maybe a combination of all the above?

So, here's a question.... If Google doesn't like and is good at detecting spun articles....what's a person to do? Are multiple and completely different articles the answer? That would seem to make it much more difficult IMO....having to have multiple articles that are really different on the same topic....

Thanks

HM
ryan.kempe
Trust:
Yes.. you need to create good content that deserves to be read... So multiple GOOD articles are the answer.

Ok, so for me, I would describe the change in the SEO industry from when you were active to now like this:

Before a successful SEO relied on technical ability to acquire rankings. Article spinning, clever automation techniques etc. You cannot rely on this anymore.

Ranking manipulation is basically over. Now SEO is assuming identity of conventional marketing techniques. SEO is now open to a lot of creativity and revolves around:
1. Engaging the user to gain natural links
2. Leveraging online relationships and networking effectively with other web-masters to gain links
3. Creating socially sharable content
Etc.

The era you were successful in SEO was considered pure manipulation, and all the old techniques you used will not work now. Its no longer a race for how many links you can get.. Its a race for getting the links no-one else has.

Don't despair though. You can get there.

Anymore advice to give I need to know your site and what your plans are going forward.
hobbyman
Trust:
Thanks Ryan.....

Wow....things HAVE indeed changed. I really appreciate your summary of what the differences are. I had no idea of just how much things have shifted. My whole site will have to be changed as it is based on the "manipulation", as you describe it, techniques.

I'm almost wondering if I should even get a new domain and just start all over so as not to run the risk of looking like the same old site..... I'm not sure how 'forgiving' the search engines will be to my old domain.....even if I change things up considerably.

Your response is very much appreciated. To borrow an old expression....."Thanks I needed that".....
ryan.kempe
Trust:
.. your welcome :)

I would do a "link detox" on your site and disavow all the other shitty links with google. Depending on how hard this is (how many links you have to sift through) you might like to start again. You might also like to figure out whether you were hit by a Google penalty by looking at the dates of the main algorithmic changes by google. See Moz's "google search temperature guage".

These days if you have just 10 great links no one else has you will be on page 1. Its a super generalised rule of thumb but it holds true to a degree.

1. Get 10 great links
2. anchor text for your links should be branded (not stuffed with keywords)
3. push all your branded links to the homepage
4. have a small percentage of links to internal pages (can be non branded)
5. have killer onpage SEO, lots of content, good internal links and siloing and good outbound link profile.
6. let google figure out what you should rank for.

:)
hobbyman
Trust:
Ryan,

Thanks again for responding. You're speaking a language that I no longer recognize! LOL.

That's not a slam....it's a reflection of how far out of the loop I am.

For example....I don't recognize the importance of or even what "Branded links" means. Nor do I recognize the reference to "do a "link detox" on your site and disavow......." How does one go about that....and maybe a little theory as to what/why?

Thanks again...

HM
Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
Hi HM,

Welcome back! Yes there were a lot of changes made since 2010 and most of these changes are towards 'quality'- quality content, quality backlinking, quality websites.

I agree that publishing and promoting unique content online can be a very challenging task and it can really take some amount of time. However, this strategy is still one of the most effective (sure shot way) to rank on SERPs.

Please also take note that 'quantity' does not matter anymore. You can have few backlinks and can rank quickly on SERPs as long as your content and backlinks are all quality.

We do feature several posts in our blog section. You may want to browse through them so you can be updated on what's the latest about search engine marketing and affiliate marketing in general.
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! https://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: https://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

This topic was started on Jan 26, 2015 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.