Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Switching from XSitePro Website To WordPress Blog

missyox
Trust:

Switching from XSitePro Website To WordPress Blog

I built a website from xsitepro and then decided to switch it over to a wordpress blog using the same hosting, url etc. But when I go to view the blog in the dashboard of wordpress, I still see my old website I built from xsitepro. I don't know anything about code, or how to delete the folders in filezilla or if I even need to delete the folders to change my xsite pro website to wordpress. Any help would be much appreciated...thanks

missyo
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Hi Missyo,

I found a blog where she changed her site from XSitePro to Wordpress. These are the steps she followed:

1. Install Wordpress on the root directory of the domain. The index.html file of the website automatically overrides the index.php file of the blog, so the website stays up in its original form while you’re working in the background.
2. Create the database and all the other stuff that has to happen to get the blog up and going.
3. Create the posts with the current articles from the site. Create the contact and about pages, and get the privacy policy and TOS links – all the basics.
4. Start deleting the XSitePro pages from the server
5. Do all the design work of trying out different themes and color schemes, loading the sidebars, and installing adsense and banners.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
Michelle
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

jpastorizo
Trust:
Missyo,

Just a friendly reminder, back up your website files 1st before you start deleting files.
You never know what can happen. It is better safe than sorry. =)

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

diyacorp
Trust:
Yes - I also switched from XsitePro to WP and what I did was to first backup the existing contents and then installed WP. I again did a backup and then I started deleting the XSite Pro files (I did delete some WP files by mistake, which I restored from the 2nd backup).
One other thing you can keep in mind is that most of WP files will be WP* and most of the XsitePro ones will be *.php
Diya

wollowra
Trust:
actually, the xsitepro files can also be .html depending on how you built the site.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Also, one way you can keep the xsitepro stuff around for at least a few days to make sure you have everything covered is to simply rename the index.html file to something like index2.html or index-back.html. That way, if you do have any problems and want to revert back, all you have to do is rename that file back to the original name. Then, once you are sure you no longer need the xsitepro files, you can delete them.

As for renaming the file, that should be easy to do through either an ftp program or through your site control panel.

I did this recently myself, so I know it works :D

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

marios521
Trust:
What about the URLs?
If you want to keep the same addresses?
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Shouldn't you set up 301 (moved permanently) redirects for all those old .html pages/files? Otherwise everyone who has links to your old html pages will get 404 (Page not found) errors. And what would that do to your Google ranking?

I use the "Redirection" WordPress plugin for easy 301 redirect creation. And every day, look at those Redirect plugin logs to see if anyone is getting 404's. Click on the green circle at the end of each log entry to create another 301 redirect for any logged errors from outside your site. Be sure to set the Redirect settings to only show 404 errors, or your logs will get very big very fast.

Another WordPress plugin I believe is critical is "WP-DBManager" Install it and setup scheduled database backups.
Don't depend on your web hosting service to backup your WordPress installation.
Use a combo of WP-DBManager for your databases and the standard WordPress export/download and backup functions for the other parts of your blog. See the WordPress site docs for the methods. I do a full download backup of my blogs and all folders (and those of my blog clients) every month - plus an automatic WP-DBManager backup to the web site and a download to me via email every week. It's saved me from a disaster at least once.

It purely amazes me how people depend on their computers and websites for their livelihoods - yet don't do decent backups! Please see my "Windows Wisdom" blog for a complete discussion on computer backups, business recovery and the need for a "Business Continuity Plan". {Warning: leads to affiliate backup product links}

Hope this helps...
_jim coe
marios521
Trust:
Thanks for the info.
What about 301 redirects and SEO?
I have done so good work so far...
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Excellent question - sorry I forget to mention that.

301 (page moved permanently) redirects happen on your server, before Google (or anyone else) sees your pages. Therefore they are completely invisible to Google.

If you search Google's advice for webmasters, you'll see that Google recommends 301 redirects when you move a page. 301's help Google maintain their index.

Another thing. Don't forget to test your pages to be sure your redirects are working. There may be a slight pause the first time you use one.

Also, always check your "Google Webmaster Tools" account from time to time for broken links. After fixing those with your Redirection plugin, you can select the broken link in that GWT list and set it to "Fixed" (or "Cleared", or whatever I don't remember the exact word Google uses).

Cheers!
_jim coe

This topic was started on Aug 20, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.