Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

creating a site like ehow

kamj79
Trust:

creating a site like ehow

Hi Guys

I have had a plan for 2 years now to build a site a like ehow for my niche. My main problem is money and that is why I am sitting on it for the moment as I can't afford to pay for someone to design the site for me.

I would love to get this site running. I use wordpress and created sites in joomla before and I am not scared of a challenge.

Does anyone know of a website program/software that I could use to create a site similar to ehow?

I have searched frequently on this and come up with no options I would love to hear some ideas.

Thanks for your time.

Kerry
michael025
Trust:
Hi Kerry,

If you're trying to make a website that looks like ehow(layout wise), try XSitePro or dreamweaver. But, if you are trying to create a site that emulates eHow(meaning similar to what eHow does), then you can use Wordpress or any other website building software....
kamj79
Trust:
Hi Michael

Thanks for the reply, I want it to run like how ehow works.

i.e. people can put up there how to's and then people can comment etc.

Is it cheeky of me to ask how I would get this to work in wordpress or if there is some info I can read. I didn't think I could use wordpress and would love to use it if possible.

Thanks again for your help.
faradina
Trust:
You would want to use joomla as it offers more options for managing content than wordpress. It also has a user management system that is superior to that of wordpress.

Of course, joomla is a little bit more complicated to set up than wordpress, but you did say that you have experience with it so I do not really see you having many problems with setting up a joomla site.
kamj79
Trust:
I am happy to use Joomla have built a few sites that way. Does anyone have a site or some info I can read up on, on how to create a site this way. That is my main problem I can't see how to build it.

Thanks for the help faradina.
johnalbrett
Trust:
Hi Kerry,

I agree with Fara as Joomla is better with its core functionality than WordPress and you already have the skills for that. If you have the programming skills then Drupal may be better than Joomla (as Drupal provides a stronger CMS) for this type of site however, I would not rule out WordPress as it is better supported than the other two.

I would look at a membership theme for WordPress and probably also investigate BBS and forum plug-ins for WordPress as these may provide the functionality that you require. As I am not a developer I am not in a position to recommend how to develop such a site but I do know that you can do some very clever things with WordPress without having to write a line of code. Due to its popularity WordPress has more themes, plug-ins and support than any other CMS or blogging software platform out there.

While I know of eHow and receive daily emails from eHow I have never sat down to see how it works. I'd suggest a great place to start is to build a process diagram as to how you think it works and then walk yourself through the steps. This will give you a good idea of what you have to do to design such as site and this will tell you what functions you will require to build it. Remeber that WordPress, Joomla or Drupal are just tools that assist you to create a system.

Cheers,
John
John Albrett
Director
Orinoco Limited
[email protected]

kamj79
Trust:
Thanks John

Wonderful reply a lot to think on, I have worked through the process for each. I had thought to use forms to build i up as that is basic function a form then submitted to a category.

Will have to put some more thought into it, now I know that it is possible through Joomla or Wordpress I can continue my research.

If anyone has or comes across any documentation I would love to get a link to it.

Thanks to all that have helped so far, was a bit unsure if here was the place to ask. Glad I did.
saha
Trust:
just check this site. Link removed by moderator it may help you.
s.haseena1986
Trust:
nice discussion..

This topic was started on Mar 09, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.