Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

When should I use the "rel=nofollow" attribute?

skywalker
Trust:

When should I use the "rel=nofollow" attribute?

I have purchased a Wordpress theme which allows me to pick apply rel="nofollow" to all of my links on my site! The Company has written that they recommend using this. If I am building a costume site and obviously trying to get it to rank on google, would I want this to be applied to ALL my links? When is the right situation to use this add on? Would I only want to apply it to my affiliate links going to the main costume website etc.?

Any help would be great!
jasondodd
Trust:
The recent change in how Google views the nofollow tag means you dont need to worry about using it (or not using it) for internal links on your site.

For outbound links to other sites, not using nofollow is basically a way to vote for a site, and to give them some of your link juice - if you dont want to then just add the nofollow tag to the link - its up to you but i think most add it to the affiliate links.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: https://www.affilorama.com/premium

skywalker
Trust:
So adding it to all of my links wont have a negative effect on my SEO efforts, it sounds like it would help them. Is this correct? What is the negative side of adding it to all of my links external and internal if any?
wollowra
Trust:
To me there are no negatives.
Personally I would not do ALL nofollow links on my site, I would mix it up a bit that way it looks more natural to google.
Just my 2 cents.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

sevamaster
Trust:
for internal linking it is not good.
lapigems
Trust:
Can anyone verify whether no follow links are now completely useless in SEO? Most high ranking blogs have them for their comments so it makes it difficult to find any decent places to add links. Any tips on this?
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Lapigems,
Oh boy... the post I could write on this topic would go on forever..lol
I will save it for my blog..lol
However.. In my humble opinion... No Follow does contribute to the overall SEO scheme of things.
Going out and getting a few links from No Follow blogs is just as important as going out and getting links from Do Follow blogs... now as to how much weight both of these carry, only Google knows (And sometimes I doubt they even do know themselves..lol)

There is an ongoing debate over this on the net and quite frankly I am 50/50 on the subject.
Some blogs have No Follow due to the massive amount of link spam they receive.
But I also think it is important for sites to link to other sites that they feel is important and offers a reader some great information.

I don't think No Follow is completely useless..
So my opinion is, Don't think so hard about this subject and just go out and get some Do Follow links and No Follow links.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

lapigems
Trust:
Thanks Troy - good advice.
rudolf55
Trust:
Why would you want to use nofollow links? I would only see it being useful if linking to competitor sites and on comment sections to avoid spam.
wollowra
Trust:
Exactly Rudolf,
Most people use it because of the comment spam they receive.
There are other ways to get around that though, but I think people just use the no follow because it's easier.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

luxem1
Trust:
Will setting nofollow ensure that hidden pages (where we link to our ebooks to download) won't be indexed in the search engines?
Is there a good nofollow WP plugin available or is there something within our affilotheme that we set to change it?
wollowra
Trust:
You would have to tell the robots.txt file to ignore the ebooks.
But why would you do that? I would rather Google find my ebooks.
Not sure about the WP plugin.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

luxem1
Trust:
@Troy Thanks for the reply. I am under the impression the goal is to get people to opt in and get them on the autoresponder series? If people find the ebooks freely on the net (even if they do have our affiliate links in them I wouldn't think it is likely they would come back to the website and optin..or should we be putting an optin link at the end of each our ebooks? For example: "If you received this from a friend, sign up now and get more great stuff like this" type of message?
Thanks for the feedback.
Joan
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
honestly, i would just let it go if people find your ebook., i

the thing about no follow is that it is often ignored even by search engines, mainly because people no follow everything or nothing .

if you want to no follow some pages but not all of them you can either use Platinum SEO pack, which allows you to set index/ no index, or follow/no follow. it for you, as well as everything that the all in one seo does.

I wouldnt worry about linking to your opt in page on the book. if they come to your site through the book, they may opt in anyway to get your newsletter.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

robinjackman
Trust:
no follow incoming backlinks are also not helpful for website.

This topic was started on Aug 28, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.