Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Should I accept pingbacks?

matanblu
Trust:

Should I accept pingbacks?

Hi,
I'm getting lots of pingbacks (from people who are using my published articles) in my wordpress comments.
What to do with them (approving/denying)?
Does it affect my site rating, if I'm approving/denying it?

Thanks,
Kind regards,

Matan
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
I've heard different people say different things but there's no harm in accepting them, although it does create a reciprocal (2-way) link, which can devalue the original backlink to your site.

Having said that the pingback (if accepted) is a nofollow link by default so its not a lot different from someone adding a link to their site when making a comment on your blog.
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
joeleighton
Trust:
Is there any harm in ignoring them?

My site are wordpress themes & using AMA fairly heavily.

Receiving 5-6 of these messages daily and that went up to 10 today, as I added a bunch of AMA articles yesterday.

Would be easier just to ignore them. Any downside?

Thanks, Joe
potpiegirl
Trust:
Hi Joe =)

I have yet to post in here (I've been reading, but yet to say a peep...lol), but thought I'd toss my two cents in on your question.

This is how I handle my pingbacks...

Ready? It's really complicated....lol

It all depends on where they come from.

If someone made a great post or referenced my blog in a quality way that adds to the conversation of the post I made, I approve it and appreciate them with all my heart.

Now, if its a "splog" pingback where someone used my RSS feed, or it's the result of ME linking to my own stuff or causing something to link to my own stuff, No, I do not approve them.

And no, there is no harm in ignoring them or deleting them if you want.

Whew, that was really complicated, huh? LOL!

All the best!

Jennifer
~PotPieGirl
wollowra
Trust:
A nice big Welcome Jennifer,
Thanks for posting.
Your online reputation precedes you.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

potpiegirl
Trust:
Thank you, Troy! That's so nice!

Glad to be here!

Jennifer
~PotPieGirl
PremiumMember
joeleighton
Trust:
Thanks, Jennifer.

My WP blogs are used as static sites in much the same way shown in Affilorama's ongoing blogging bootcamp.

The pingbacks I'm getting are 100% "splog" variety.

Do you see any problems with turning off pingbacks on my blogs?

Thanks, Joe
alexiswilke
Trust:
So... If I understand properly, the idea is to gain a few friends via some auto-commenting system which of course spammers have "discovered" as a great source of auto-back-linking. We never stop progress... 8-)

I guess for Joe, turning it off is probably a good idea, for most of us, keeping it on as long as it's manageable is not a bad idea. I wonder if there could be some sort of CAPTCHA trick we could have for those auto-back-links...
robinjackman
Trust:
don't accept pingbacks because sometime ping website will be harmful for your website.
pankaj arya
Trust:
i am also getting lot of pingback request. and they are pointing to some very ugly url so i am not accepting them.
barry3
Trust:
I found this forum thread from a Google search using "is a pingback good for seo?' as the search term. I was under the impression that a pingback was avery good thing because I felt that any web activity that brought your site to the attention of Google was desirable. I now see that not much benefit is gained from accepting the pingback. Thanks
Barry Ford
www.usandisrael.com

esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

Let me help clear this up.

If you are running a serious site, you probably do not have comments set to auto approve. Therefore, even if you receive a pingback, it is not posted in your site comments. So yes, by all means, accept them! Free backlinks, even if they end up being no follow.

Here's what you can use them for...

Now you have pending pingbacks in your admin area. Copy the URL of each pingback and create an excel spreadsheet. Once a week or however often you like, put this list through a backlink indexer such as linklicious.me or lindexed.com.

It's like telling the search engine spiders, "look, someone voted for my site!".
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
A pingback means that someone has linked to your content. It's useful when you want to know when somebody links to your site.

What you can do when you get a pingback is to check the web page from where the pingback came from and do one of the following actions:

1. If the web page is of high quality and will add value to your own site, then approve the pingback. NOTE: approving a pingback is much like linking to the other web page, although there would be no visible hyperlink.

2. If the web page is something to which you would not want to link, even if it is of high quality, you could trash the pingback.

3. If the web page looks spammy, you spam the pingback.

Of course, moderating pingbacks can take up a lot of time, so you may want to disallow pingbacks by unchecking the pingback box.

I hope that helps :)
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

onlycubs
Trust:
My WP blogs are used as static sites in much the same way shown in Affilorama's ongoing blogging bootcamp
onlycubs
Trust:
I have yet to post in here (I've been reading, but yet to say a peep...lol), but thought I'd toss my two cents in on your question.

This is how I handle my pingbacks...

This topic was started on Nov 29, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.