Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Does allowing comments on my post help my link building?

brian4105
Trust:

Does allowing comments on my post help my link building?

If I allow and except commenting on my site,does it help my link building at all. I know most people commenting will be trying to build there own links, just not sure if it helps my site at all. Any help and explanation would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Brian
please check out our websites:
www.platterivergolf.com
www.maxprogolf.com

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
No, allowing comments on your site will not help you build your links. You create a backlink if you make a comment on someone else's site and place your page URL on your comment or signature.

Allowing comments can be a way to communicate to your visitors and build a community but you have to spend time monitoring them. We don't recommend enabling them on Affilojetpack sites because it opens up your website for spam and will create extra work for you. If you do decide to allow them then make sure you do so with heavy moderation.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

beldin
Trust:
Agreed... there was a posting someplace here where someone opened up comments on their site and all they got was a bunch of people posting a link to their own site with no useful comments... go figure... ;)
Stephen

myonlinetraininghub
Trust:
Can't you install a Captcha system on the AJP sites to prevent spam?

Whilst allowing comments won't build any links for you it will make your site look busier to the search engines which is abgood thing and can boost your rankings
Phil
Free Microsoft Office Online Training
http://www.MyOnlineTrainingHub.com

faradina
Trust:
Captchas will foil bots but not spam from real humans. The best thing to do if you want to allow comments is to set it so that each and every comment must be approved by an administrator.
mortalengine
Trust:
If you want to keep the content, a way of getting free content
You could do this to no follow links in the comments

Below is a simple function attached to a WordPress filter to make all those links ‘No follow’ for the search engines like Google. Add the below code at the very bottom of your active theme’s function.php (Theme functions) and it is all.
go to editor in themes

<?php function add_nofollow_to_comments_popup_link(){
return ' rel="nofollow" ';}
add_filter( 'comments_popup_link_attributes', 'add_nofollow_to_comments_popup_link' ); ?>

ps This also discourages spammers once they see you have no follow links
digiblue
Trust:
Just activate Akismet in your Wordpress dashboard. It's the ultimate spam destroyer!
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
You could download Akismet here.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

esolutions
Trust:
Akismet plus every comment must be approved allows the value to stay and the spam blocked.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

faradina
Trust:
I agree with esolutions. Of course, that is if you have the time to moderate comments. If you just do not have the time to do so, it's better to leave comments closed.
joshuas
Trust:
I used to use spam blockers and such but after a while the amount of spam was getting a bit ridiculous. If I only had one site it wouldn't be an issue but having to delete the spam comments waiting in moderation for multiple sites was simply a waste of time so I turned the comments off. They give very little benefit anyway and detracts from the purpose of my sites which was to getting them either signing up to my list of to the sales page. I do still keep comments on on authority sites since I want to allow for some community to develop.
danchan
Trust:
If you only had a blog as a website, imagine the amount of work when say a hundred posts were already made to the site. It would create unnecessary process where each post would need monitoring.
mack45
Trust:
Hi I use the Askemit plugin but I had a site built for getting into ebay partnernetwork . I did not per sue the venture but the site has been sitting about eight months and the only traffic it gets is the spam comments and very little other stuff. It now has a little adsense that has made less than a dollar a year but it had a page rank of three when I check it out with a rank checker. I may just sell the site but for now I just am watching it when I think of it it is www.cyclingaddicts.com . I have not really investigated the niche or had time but have no plans for it now. It gets about a 1000 spam comments or more a month. I just delete the sex and gambling ones.
Pro at basic WP and keyword research willing to [email protected]

johnalbrett
Trust:
Affil96754 offered some valuable advice along with Michelle and DigiBlue. Spammers are looking for back-links to rank their own sites however, Google and the other search engines are now looking at back-links that are relevant. Google is rewarding the quality of back-links as opposed to quantity so a site with less back-links can rank higher than a site with many. Furthermore Google is deindexing sites that 'appear' to have generated back-links though spamming; i.e. the back-link is not relevant to site content.

Akismet does capture the spam and won't allow the comment on the blog unless it is approved; if the comment is legitimate it will allow it. Setting 'nofollow' for comments does deter spammers as they are looking for links to their site and they know hoe to use Google to find blogs that will give them links.

As Michelle says though, if you are unsure, disable comments.

Cheers,
John
John Albrett
Director
Orinoco Limited
[email protected]

kdruhl
Trust:
Good comments will help your site, and are a positive with Google. You must have Akismet, and set to moderate every comment. Do respond to comments, use DISQUS for more interaction. Your main goal on your blog is to keep visitors coming back. Focus on building relationship, rather than on spammers. Getting new visitors is getting more and more expensive; keep the ones you have. Link building is only part of the equation.
caro11
Trust:
HI I just logged into one of my sites after a long time and it had 163 comments waiting for moderation. I'm just going to trash them all. (and have turned off comments)
kallayprasanth05
Trust:
It does certainly. Make sure that the comments are posted on related forums and blogs. Blog commenting or forum posting when done with precision can bring about great results in the long run.
caro11
Trust:
Just wondering what a pingback is in the comments waiting to be moderated??

Thanks
Caro

This topic was started on Nov 28, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.