Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Google search; use broad or quotes?

idleme125
Trust:

Google search; use broad or quotes?

Should I be using broad or quotes when I check for results? I would think that if I am looking for a certain term that I would only want those specific results, not results (broad) that include these words in any of the results. It seems that most people just type in the words and hit search. I have tried both search queries and there is a huge difference. Any advice??
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Are you trying to check how competitive your keyword phrase is, Idleme125?

We don't really recommend that you do competition research by typing your keywords in the search engine box since the results that you'll be getting will give you very limited information. It would be better to use the SEO Analysis tool of Traffic Travis to check your competition. It will give you more information on the sites that are ranking for a keyword, such as age, page rank, H1 and Title Tags, description, listings, backlinks, etc. Knowing these will help you plan a better approach on how to compete with the top sites.

If what you are concerned about is the search volume, then the Google Keyword Tool would be helpful since it will give you the number of people searching for a particular keyword per month. It will also display alternative keywords that you can use if the particular keyword that you want to use has a low search volume.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

billwynne
Trust:
Traffic Travis is the tool to use.
To your success,
Bill Wynne
www.billwynne.com

idleme125
Trust:
Using the google keyword tool if I put a term in quotes versus broad search I get less results which tells me it could be a good term to use. However, most people dont search with quotes but just type in their term, basically a broad search. I am wondering which type of search do I use to do my research. I want to find terms that dont have a high return so I can have a better chance of having my site rank in a decent position.
PremiumMember
elogic0007
Trust:
Hi there
using quotes is the best way to go when looking at results,becuase it shows you what a searcher typed in example - i want to loose weight - would be listed in google as it was typed about however if you used broad it could be like this example - the loose potatoes weight is what i want to get -, as you can see the differance is huge
rizvi1
Trust:
michellerana wrote:Are you trying to check how competitive your keyword phrase is, Idleme125?

We don't really recommend that you do competition research by typing your keywords in the search engine box since the results that you'll be getting will give you very limited information. It would be better to use the SEO Analysis tool of Traffic Travis to check your competition. It will give you more information on the sites that are ranking for a keyword, such as age, page rank, H1 and Title Tags, description, listings, backlinks, etc. Knowing these will help you plan a better approach on how to compete with the top sites.

If what you are concerned about is the search volume, then the Google Keyword Tool would be helpful since it will give you the number of people searching for a particular keyword per month. It will also display alternative keywords that you can use if the particular keyword that you want to use has a low search volume.

Hi,

I joined yesterday and wanted to ask couple of question.

1- When i do a search in quotes and i get like thousands of results but when i go down and scroll to end of pages, it only shows like 50 pages , i.e 500 results instead of 50,000+ originally shown. Please if you could tell me which one of the two is accurate ?
2- If i don´t find the appropriate domain, is it ok to put and X in the end or better to go for hyphens ?

Thanks

KAs
mlsppro1
Trust:
idleme125 wrote:Should I be using broad or quotes when I check for results? I would think that if I am looking for a certain term that I would only want those specific results, not results (broad) that include these words in any of the results. It seems that most people just type in the words and hit search. I have tried both search queries and there is a huge difference. Any advice??

Try using phrase match it is a good option, the best option for niche marketing is exact phrase such as a specific search product name or say hand made genuine leather, use a brand name in between your request. that way you will see how many people are looking for that brand and or model.
Lisa Wilson Pro Marketing coach and Manager
email [email protected]

cecille.l
Trust:
Hi,

I joined yesterday and wanted to ask couple of question.

1- When i do a search in quotes and i get like thousands of results but when i go down and scroll to end of pages, it only shows like 50 pages , i.e 500 results instead of 50,000+ originally shown. Please if you could tell me which one of the two is accurate ?
2- If i don´t find the appropriate domain, is it ok to put and X in the end or better to go for hyphens ?

Thanks

KAs

Hi Kas,

The 50 pages that you see in the bottom is the number of pages for the results. You need to look at the value at the top.

As for the domain, are you looking for a domain using Google Keyword Tool or Traffic Travis?

We have a lesson on keyword research that might help.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

This topic was started on Feb 11, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.