Home » Affilorama forum » Affiliate Hangout » Individual Product links questions
Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Individual Product links questions

jab676
Trust:

Individual Product links questions

Hi, so I'm just starting out, got my idea, my niche sorted and I have a practical question that I haven't been able to find an answer to elsewhere. So my site is going to mainly be comprised of links to individual product- so I have two questions:

1)Do you have to select from the individual product links merchants provide? Example- say on a book site, I want to promote a specific book in my site that I've identified I want to sell- do merchants typically give out a general code for any of their products on their site to renumerate you, or do I have to scroll through the list of individual product links that the likes of Linkshare provide to see if the merchant is willing to renumerate me on that particular book? So I guess what I'm asking, is if a retailer participates in an affiliate program and allows individual product linking do they typically curate a selection of all their products for you to choose from, or do they allow you the pick of their entire site?

2) Where you have a site almost entirely comprised of individual product links- when you sign up to get approval from retailers to be a part of their program they ask for a copy of your URL for your website- in this instance its a bit chicken and egg, because you don't have a site unless they allow you to participate in their program- does anyone else have this experience and have they just provided a site behind a firewall for approval and were retailers ok with that, or just made the site live using retailers products anyway and then got the approvals then? I guess Im trying to understand how difficult it is to get the retailers approvals..

Any help on these issues would be much appreciated

thanks
JB
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi JB,

1)Do you have to select from the individual product links merchants provide? Example- say on a book site, I want to promote a specific book in my site that I've identified I want to sell- do merchants typically give out a general code for any of their products on their site to renumerate you, or do I have to scroll through the list of individual product links that the likes of Linkshare provide to see if the merchant is willing to renumerate me on that particular book? So I guess what I'm asking, is if a retailer participates in an affiliate program and allows individual product linking do they typically curate a selection of all their products for you to choose from, or do they allow you the pick of their entire site?

This depends. Most of the time, you have a link to each of the product in the merchant site that you are promoting, so you can choose to promote only one product among all the other products on a merchant's site.

2) Where you have a site almost entirely comprised of individual product links- when you sign up to get approval from retailers to be a part of their program they ask for a copy of your URL for your website- in this instance its a bit chicken and egg, because you don't have a site unless they allow you to participate in their program- does anyone else have this experience and have they just provided a site behind a firewall for approval and were retailers ok with that, or just made the site live using retailers products anyway and then got the approvals then? I guess Im trying to understand how difficult it is to get the retailers approvals..

You can always let a merchant or affiliate network know if your site is still on the works. Most of the time a domain you recently registered would work. You do not necessarily have to have the site up. If you are still working on getting the site up, then let the merchant or the affiliate manager know and they should be able to give you access.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

esolutions
Trust:
Hi JB,

In Linkshare most merchants allow you to both select from individual product links and also create your own custom links (for example if there is a certain page on their site that you want to link to). Since a proper link will track to you, typically any and all sales referred will be credited with commissions unless the merchant says "We don't pay commissions on X product".

Click on the Get Links and the dropdown shows the different types, including deeplinks.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree